Robert Bortuzzo suspended 2 games for hit on Jaromir Jagr

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
To be fair Crosby getting mugged by Staal was during the playoffs when the rules differ.

To be completely fair though Crosby gets abused game after game regular season and I doubt that he has drawn two penalties all year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agree. Consistency would be nice. Stars of the game should absolutely be protected. The **** that Sid had to deal with is likely filed under "playoff hockey", unfortunately.

I looked at the hit again though, and it's over .5 seconds between when Jagr moves the puck and when he's hit. According to what's been reported in the past, that's the grey area of a legal hit. For Jagr, they say it's late. Anyone else? Eh, they probably let it go.

To be fair Crosby getting mugged by Staal was during the playoffs when the rules differ.

To be completely fair though Crosby gets abused game after game regular season and I doubt that he has drawn two penalties all year.

There is playoff hockey and then there is assault on the ice, which is what Staal did.

Aside from hitting a guy in the face with your stick, I can't think of anything worse than want Staal did.

How the league's discipline cronies reviewed that and thought "tough playoff hockey" is sickening.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I can't stand the lack of consistency. Gerbe blasts Despres 20 feet away from the puck and doesn't get a hearing. Bortuzzo commits interference and gets 2 games.

This suspension is because it was Jagr and he was knocked out of the game which is bush league.

Well plays like the Gerbe and Despres hit happen a lot. I'm pretty sure either Bort or Despres hit someone very similar this season racing to a puck below the goal line, and nothing was said. As is typical the only reason we are even referencing that is because of how the hit ended up, with Despres getting rocked, but if he had stayed up no one would think twice about it. That's not a knock on Despres either he probably just underrated Gerbe's strength. Can't blame him for that.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Well plays like the Gerbe and Despres hit happen a lot. I'm pretty sure either Bort or Despres hit someone very similar this season racing to a puck below the goal line, and nothing was said. As is typical the only reason we are even referencing that is because of how the hit ended up, with Despres getting rocked, but if he had stayed up no one would think twice about it. That's not a knock on Despres either he probably just underrated Gerbe's strength. Can't blame him for that.

Despres has actually been rung up a few times for doing what Gerbe did. Despres got rocked because he didn't anticipate the hit plus Gerbe is one strong tree stump. It should have been 2 mins for interference.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
By the way, TSN radio (Jeff O'Neill especially) rippppppppppppppppped the Bortuzzo suspension. Called it a great hit. Said that it's a joke, but Bortuzzo should use the suspension to his advantage. Let everyone know that when you're on the ice, keep your head up.

Said calling it predatory was a joke, that maybe the hit was a split second late, but Jagr needed to keep his head up.

penguins2946*

They should have just said "2 games for rocking Jagr". The excuse they gave was horrible.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Jagr is out tonight with the flu. Chances are that Bortuzzo passed it on when he hit him. That should be another five games.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
By the way, TSN radio (Jeff O'Neill especially) rippppppppppppppppped the Bortuzzo suspension. Called it a great hit. Said that it's a joke, but Bortuzzo should use the suspension to his advantage. Let everyone know that when you're on the ice, keep your head up.

Said calling it predatory was a joke, that maybe the hit was a split second late, but Jagr needed to keep his head up.

He would be my choice for the next player safety chief.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
jagr was already sick as a dog THAT DAY. I don't even think he was "rocked" by Bort's hit. I just think he was sick and that hit was more than his half-dead body could handle.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Despres has actually been rung up a few times for doing what Gerbe did. Despres got rocked because he didn't anticipate the hit plus Gerbe is one strong tree stump. It should have been 2 mins for interference.

It definitely could have been. Just another example of the NHL not calling penalties consistently. Sometimes it is, sometimes it ins't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad