Robert Bortuzzo suspended 2 games for hit on Jaromir Jagr

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
2009 was sneaky dirty

2007 and 2008 was in your face dirty (Ruutu, Roberts, etc)

Frankly, I'll take either one, because that was a lot easier on Sid and Geno than what happened since (when the Pens, even when they had toughs like Rupp and Asham, because reactionary).

Q: You seeing a little of that 2009 Geno positively directed truculence in his game now? I think that may be because, unlike Bylsma, who tried to quash it, Johnston is trying to nurture it.

One of my favorite Geno moments from the '09 Cup run was game 3 against Carolina.

It was 4-2 with about 3 minutes left in the game, and Matt Cullen reaches for a puck and Geno gives him pretty much the same hit he gave Girardi last month pretty much because he felt like it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
One of my favorite Geno moments from the '09 Cup run was game 3 against Carolina.

It was 4-2 with about 3 minutes left in the game, and Matt Cullen reaches for a puck and Geno gives him pretty much the same hit he gave Girardi last month pretty much because he felt like it.

I feel like we're starting to see that Geno again more often, well on a more consistent basis, and it's awesome.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Main board be gold right now.

You have people saying Jagr's a legend and should never be touched.
I hope Jagr comes back to the burgh so all these people that are so in love with him will hate him again.

Come back, Jagr… retire where you're supposed to!

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The suspension was on the scroll on the local morning news all morning.

Jarmiro Jagr ladies and gentleman. :laugh:

jbo4WHv9cyJsS2.png

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

One of mine was a game against Anaheim when Sid was out for a few games early in the 2008-2009 season. Gonchar and Whitney were out, Sid was out, and Feds was playing like ****, so Therrien decided on a top line of Cooke-Geno-Sykora for the game.

Within 5 minutes of the puck dropping, Malkin planted Getzlaf in the boards. Pens won, and the game ended with Malkin and Perry wrestling to the ice.

I like that truculence in his game. It's a fine line, but I like that Johnston seems to be trying to nurture it.

As I said, Bylsma tried to snuff it out, along with other dimensions of Malkin's game (but that's another subject for another thread ;)).

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Somebody needs to go to HockeyGuideForCasualFans.com and find me the section that covers hits on star players.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
What I have learned from all of this is that it's ok to slew foot and spear someone, as long as you are a "living treasure".

You can also try to break Crosby's neck with your stick and that's ok to.

However, don't be hitting a revered legend like Jagr .39 seconds after he passes the puck. Bort should have asked him politely if he was allowed to hit him, because you just don't hit legends.

The only thing I'm confused about is if you are allowed to try and break a legend's neck with your stick. Or are you only allowed to do that to Crosby since a neck injury almost ended his career? I'm a little hazy on the league's interpretation here.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
What I have learned from all of this is that it's ok to slew foot and spear someone, as long as you are a "living treasure".

You can also try to break Crosby's neck with your stick and that's ok to.

However, don't be hitting a revered legend like Jagr .39 seconds after he passes the puck. Bort should have asked him politely if he was allowed to hit him, because you just don't hit legends.

The only thing I'm confused about is if you are allowed to try and break a legend's neck with your stick. Or are you only allowed to do that to Crosby since a neck injury almost ended his career? I'm a little hazy on the league's interpretation here.

Sid's mistake is that he wasn't over 40. Apparently there's a cutoff point.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sid's mistake is that he wasn't over 40. Apparently there's a cutoff point.

Maybe the league should mandate that Jagr wear an antique plate on the back of his jersey. This way everyone knows not to touch him. When he tries to slew foot guys, they should thank him for the honor of having an all time legend "have a little fun with them". Then Jagr can autograph their busted skulls with their blood and share a Reese's PB cup with him when they wake up from their comas.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Made this last night for Twitter

Bortuzzo was the player who delivered our tickets this September (I posted some pictures in an older thread here), then went out in the driveway with my son before his practice that night.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I'm with you Jiggy and have been saying it for some time now.

The key to keeping guys out of Sid and Geno's face is to go after the other team's stars. Instead of letting goons cross check Sid in the back and maul Geno all over the ice, they need to come out and relentlessly go after Stamkos, Tavares, Giroux, Bergeron, Patches, etc...

What we have seen over the past 4 years is guys flat out abusing Sid and Geno and nobody having their backs. This led to debacles like the Philly series in 2012 and the Boston series the following year. Sid and Geno eventually snap and go ape **** and when someone else on the team DOES step up for them, they waste their time going after the goons that are harassing them. STOP DOING THAT!!!

If Crosby gets repeatedly cross checked in the neck, cross check Nash in the back of the neck.

If Rinaldo or Coots keeps mauling Geno every chance they get, maul Giroux and Voracek every chance you get.

If Marchand and Chara wanna punk it up out there against Crosby and Malkin, punk it up against Bergeron and Ericsson.

The only way to get teams to wake up is to target their stars, because they aren't going to return the favor if you lay off them...

That's why the pens don't need anymore top 6 Fs, they need two more gritty Fs like Thornton or Chris Neil, So this stuff stops.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I can't stand the lack of consistency. Gerbe blasts Despres 20 feet away from the puck and doesn't get a hearing. Bortuzzo commits interference and gets 2 games.

This suspension is because it was Jagr and he was knocked out of the game which is bush league.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I can't stand the lack of consistency. Gerbe blasts Despres 20 feet away from the puck and doesn't get a hearing. Bortuzzo commits interference and gets 2 games.

This suspension is because it was Jagr and he was knocked out of the game which is bush league.

I have no problem with the league having a bias towards protecting their stars. I'm 100% cool with that. These are the guys who bring in the fans and entertain us all.

However, how do you let Staal viciously cross check Crosby in the neck several times and almost break his neck without a suspension? Especially when neck problems are what kept him out for well over a year.

I've watched and played this game most of my life and Bort's hit is what used to be considered tough hockey. Staal's cross checks to Crosby's neck has ALWAYS been considered extremely dangerous and filthy, even by 70s Flyers standards.

If you want to protect your stars, then ****ing do it. How league officials watched what Staal did and let it go, then watched what Bort did and suspended him is beyond bizarre.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I have no problem with the league having a bias towards protecting their stars. I'm 100% cool with that. These are the guys who bring in the fans and entertain us all.

However, how do you let Staal viciously cross check Crosby in the neck several times and almost break his neck without a suspension? Especially when neck problems are what kept him out for well over a year.

I've watched and played this game most of my life and Bort's hit is what used to be considered tough hockey. Staal's cross checks to Crosby's neck has ALWAYS been considered extremely dangerous and filthy, even by 70s Flyers standards.

If you want to protect your stars, then ****ing do it. How league officials watched what Staal did and let it go, then watched what Bort did and suspended him is beyond bizarre.

I agree. Consistency would be nice. Stars of the game should absolutely be protected. The **** that Sid had to deal with is likely filed under "playoff hockey", unfortunately.

I looked at the hit again though, and it's over .5 seconds between when Jagr moves the puck and when he's hit. According to what's been reported in the past, that's the grey area of a legal hit. For Jagr, they say it's late. Anyone else? Eh, they probably let it go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad