Confirmed with Link: Robert Bortuzzo signs two year extension

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Intriguing to an extent. I like Bortuzzo, especially if he can stay healthy

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
For the conspiracy theorists among us, could this be a pre-cursor to a Shattenkirk trade?

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
That should put an end to the speculation from some that the team was going to try and resign Shatty. I'd say the writing is on the wall now.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I was posting on the Trade board, thinking i was here. oops.

This leads to some intrigue. Petro & Parayko are clearly ahead of him on the the right-side...and Schmaltz is knocking on the door. So chances of Bortuzzo ever becoming a full-time guy likely will depend on an injury. However, he has exceeded expectations this year and has proven to be a very valuable guy. I'd even go so far as to say he's exceeded Edmundson's and Gunnarsson's performance, though Bort has been more sheltered than Gunnar.

So...does Bortuzzo get protected in the Expansion Draft? His handedness might become a determining factor, as you may not want to protect a 3rd-pairing RHD at the expense of a top-4 LHD...but it's an interesting thought. If he comes back healthy, stays healthy, and continues performing at the level he's shown this year...he's got value to this club.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Today on facebook I learned that being on IR means someone is a healthy scratch.

Love this signing tho, hopefully means he's close to returning.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I was posting on the Trade board, thinking i was here. oops.

This leads to some intrigue. Petro & Parayko are clearly ahead of him on the the right-side...and Schmaltz is knocking on the door. So chances of Bortuzzo ever becoming a full-time guy likely will depend on an injury. However, he has exceeded expectations this year and has proven to be a very valuable guy. I'd even go so far as to say he's exceeded Edmundson's and Gunnarsson's performance, though Bort has been more sheltered than Gunnar.

So...does Bortuzzo get protected in the Expansion Draft? His handedness might become a determining factor, as you may not want to protect a 3rd-pairing RHD at the expense of a top-4 LHD...but it's an interesting thought. If he comes back healthy, stays healthy, and continues performing at the level he's shown this year...he's got value to this club.

The team are also obligated to expose a certain amount of experienced players. I think Bortuzzo is the 7th man going forward, will be exposed to the expansion draft, and helps the team meet that requirement.

I don't see how this impacts on Shattenkirk's situation either way, although I do think the trade talks with Shattenkirk must be heating up a bit based on the rumor mill.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I worry about the left side of our D. I just don't see Edmundson as a top 4 D, and I think Gunnar is exposed in the expansion. Bortz is most likely our bottom pairing guy next year to bridge for our up and coming prospects.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The team are also obligated to expose a certain amount of experienced players. I think Bortuzzo is the 7th man going forward, will be exposed to the expansion draft, and helps the team meet that requirement.

I don't see how this impacts on Shattenkirk's situation either way, although I do think the trade talks with Shattenkirk must be heating up a bit based on the rumor mill.

I worry about the left side of our D. I just don't see Edmundson as a top 4 D, and I think Gunnar is exposed in the expansion. Bortz is most likely our bottom pairing guy next year to bridge for our up and coming prospects.

I hope Army gets creative and can flip Shatty for an exempt, LHD...like a Travis Sanheim or Sam Morin. That would go a long way to rebalancing our blueline and preparing us for the ED.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I hope Army gets creative and can flip Shatty for an exempt, LHD...like a Travis Sanheim or Sam Morin. That would go a long way to rebalancing our blueline and preparing us for the ED.

Let's just hope it doesn't flop with too much dysfunction.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Each team has to expose 1 d-man that's under contract for next season that either 1) plays 40+ games this season or 2) 70+ games this season and last season combined.

One of Edmundson or Gunnarsson would've already met that requirement so now they'll have 2 of the 3 exposed. It also allows them to trade one of the 3 and still be expansion draft compliant (not that I see one of the 3 being traded but just throwing that out there as an additional benifit to this signing).

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Each team has to expose 1 d-man that's under contract for next season that either 1) plays 40+ games this season or 2) 70+ games this season and last season combined.

One of Edmundson or Gunnarsson would've already met that requirement so now they'll have 2 of the 3 exposed. It also allows them to trade one of the 3 and still be expansion draft compliant (not that I see one of the 3 being traded but just throwing that out there as an additional benifit to this signing).

Thanks. I was having trouble finding a good reference with that detail. I guess Bortuzzo doesn't factor into then, other than to be a signed redundancy in the event Edmundson is chosen.

Jeffro

Oct 20, 2007
Vegas could still choose Bortuzzo. He just wouldn't fulfill one of the Blues' obligations. Though Bortuzzo would only need 19 more GP this season to fulfill the 70/2 requirement, 14 if playoff games count.

I'm also not 100% convinced that Parayko is going to be exempt. He had 17 regular season games and 5 playoff games with Chicago in 14-15, and if that counts as a season, this is his third.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Vegas could still choose Bortuzzo. He just wouldn't fulfill one of the Blues' obligations. Though Bortuzzo would only need 19 more GP this season to fulfill the 70/2 requirement, 14 if playoff games count.

I'm also not 100% convinced that Parayko is going to be exempt. He had 17 regular season games and 5 playoff games with Chicago in 14-15, and if that counts as a season, this is his third.

He was on an amateur contract in his AHL season.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Did anyone catch my joke?

ED = flip flop dysfunction

Get it?

I dont, but that is nothing new or unusual.

Im all for Bobby Orrtuzo. I have no idea who told him to pretend he is an Offensive Dman, but he keeps ending up with huge opportunities this season. I hope it continues and he keeps being dynamic.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

It's already been confirmed that since Parayko was on an ATO those handful of AHL games that season, it doesn't count as a pro season as far as the expansion draft is concerned.

And yes, I'm assuming Borts will get in 19+ games this season and thus also qualify per the 70/2 rule. And no, playoff games don't count.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Disagree, Bort couldnt handle the assignment Ed has right now. Also Ed has some legit top 4 upside so he needs to play. I'd say Bort is safer right now but Ed can be used in more difficult roles.

lol what assignment? letting petro cover for him while he makes stupid decisions and takes stupid penalties?

Bort >>> Ed. you guys forget how much of a joke he was last spring. only shattenkirk was worse. I remember JR and Millbury just having a field day on Ed during the Dallas series? Why? because he made stupid plays like this brilliant one here for dallas first goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcPxk-y_cDw

look, im not expecting much out of him as I see him as a fringe NHLer. but for whatever reason this forum GROSSLY overrates him and it needs to stop. He takes stupid penalties to top it off. Please stop saying this guy is a top 4 d man, hes not. Neither is Bort, but Bort plays his role much better, can actually chip in from time to time and doesnt take stupid penalties.

Last edited:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
lol what assignment? letting petro cover for him while he makes stupid decisions and takes stupid penalties?

Bort >>> Ed. you guys forget how much of a joke he was last spring. only shattenkirk was worse. I remember JR and Millbury just having a field day on Ed during the Dallas series? Why? because he made stupid plays like this brilliant one here for dallas first goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcPxk-y_cDw

look, im not expecting much out of him as I see him as a fringe NHLer. but for whatever reason this forum GROSSLY overrates him and it needs to stop. He takes stupid penalties to top it off. Please stop saying this guy is a top 4 d man, hes not. Neither is Bort, but Bort plays his role much better, can actually chip in from time to time and doesnt take stupid penalties.

Well considering Edmundson is currently playing a top-4 role, Doesn't that by definition mean he's a top-4 defenseman.

Also, great job cherrypicking to back up an argument. I guess he'll never amount to anything because he made mistakes his first year in the NHL. Might as well throw out Parayko along with him after not pushing Horvat out of the crease that one time against Vancouver.

I agree that Bortuzzo and Edmundson are similar role players, but you are under the false impression that your hyperbole is factual or makes a cohesive argument.

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
Well considering Edmundson is currently playing a top-4 role, Doesn't that by definition mean he's a top-4 defenseman.

Also, great job cherrypicking to back up an argument. I guess he'll never amount to anything because he made mistakes his first year in the NHL. Might as well throw out Parayko along with him after not pushing Horvat out of the crease that one time against Vancouver.

I agree that Bortuzzo and Edmundson are similar role players, but you are under the false impression that your hyperbole is factual or makes a cohesive argument.

I'm not really weighing in on this argument, but the logic of the bolded is obviously flawed. Is Malkin a 2C? Of course not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad