Rumor: Robak/Petrovic for a veteran d-man or scorer

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Fair enough. I don't think Kopecky is that bad of a contract, but it would clear some cap space if someone like Hudler or similar were to be traded. Veteran scorers cost a bit of money these days.

Hudler was very good for the Flames last year and was an offensive catalyst and puck wizard. I feel like the Panthers have some guys that can score if given a good pass but nobody besides Campbell to feed them the puck and create offense. Hudler would be a nice fit on this team.

I don't think Calgary would do Kopecky for Hudler, they'd be getting fleeced. I'm a big fan of Hudler, but as was mentioned, if you wanted a young guy for him, it wouldn't work, Florida has no place on their roster for Hudler, unless you took Flash back, which, again, I don't think they'd do. It should also be noted that Florida is quite close to the cap ceiling.

Only Flame I have any interest in is Colborne.
I'm assuming you mean who we'd have a shot at getting, because they have as many young stud prospects as Florida (Monahan, Brodie, Geadreau off the top of my head without looking at their roster). In fact I'd say they're Florida's western equivalent, but more screwed because they play in the West.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Hudler was very good for the Flames last year and was an offensive catalyst and puck wizard. I feel like the Panthers have some guys that can score if given a good pass but nobody besides Campbell to feed them the puck and create offense. Hudler would be a nice fit on this team.
Creating offense isn't a problem, it's finishing the plays. The team needs a real goal scorer, not another playmaker who scores every now and then.

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
I don't think Calgary would do Kopecky for Hudler, they'd be getting fleeced. I'm a big fan of Hudler, but as was mentioned, if you wanted a young guy for him, it wouldn't work, Florida has no place on their roster for Hudler, unless you took Flash back, which, again, I don't think they'd do. It should also be noted that Florida is quite close to the cap ceiling.

What about Petrovic and Kopecky for Hudler? That seems like a good deal for both teams.

I'm assuming you mean who we'd have a shot at getting, because they have as many young stud prospects as Florida (Monahan, Brodie, Geadreau off the top of my head without looking at their roster). In fact I'd say they're Florida's western equivalent, but more screwed because they play in the West.

FWIW I would say that Brodie is a legit NHLer at this point and not so much of a prospect anymore. But yeah, the Flames prospect base is getting to be one of the elites of the league. Adding Sam Bennett this year helped that too. Not to mention kids like Emile Poirier, Morgan Klimchuk, John Gillies, Max Reinhart, Sven Baertschi, Tyler Wotherspoon, Corban Knight ;), Markus Granlund…list goes on and on for some very good potential NHLers. Still need some sure fire NHL defensemen to add to the prospect base though.

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Keyword is "goalscorer ".

No offense, but Hudler's 54 points last year (which is right around his career average) would be 16 more points than our leading scorer last year in Bjugstad. His 17 goals would be 2nd only to Boyes. I wouldn't turn my nose up at what he could offer. He also did that on a similarly offensively challenged team.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
No offense, but Hudler's 54 points last year (which is right around his career average) would be 16 more points than our leading scorer last year in Bjugstad. His 17 goals would be 2nd only to Boyes. I wouldn't turn my nose up at what he could offer. He also did that on a similarly offensively challenged team.

Hudler sure looks like he could help this team. I'd be happy with a trade for him. This team needs to get decent before they get good.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Flash and Upshall definitely have value.

To us, maybe.

in a trade, no they don't.

Only Flame I have any interest in is Colborne.

Colborne sucks.

You wouldn't take Giordano, Brodie, Baertschi, etc etc? C'mon now.

To the Flames fan: I'd have zero interest in Wideman. Some interest in Hudler, but not for Petrovic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
To us, maybe.

Colborne sucks.

To the Flames fan: I'd have zero interest in Wideman. Some interest in Hudler, but not for Petrovic.

Have to agree with pretty much all of this. Flash might have some trade value, but Upshall probably doesn't have much at this point.

Wideman is pretty bad, no doubt. I'm not surprised by the reactions to that idea. In regards to Hudler, I don't know what you think is fair value for a perennial 50 point producer, who instantly upgrades the top 6 on most teams. I think a decent to above average prospect is actually underpayment, remembering that Petrovic isn't an NHL regular yet. You can't get something for nothing and Hudler is at least something in the NHL, whereas Petrovic isn't just yet.

Also, I wouldn't exactly say Colborne sucks. He's taken awhile to make it to the NHL but that happens sometimes with prospects. He's got a big body (6'5", 220 lbs.) and protects the puck well, has incredibly soft hands and good puck handling, and can score a little. He's also lethal in the shootout. He's got more to prove but was quite a nice surprise last year.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
What's a realistic package that could bring a 30 goal scorer to this team? Is it possible to get that guy without including one of the "Young Guns"? I can't see any team accepting Flash, Shore/Petrovic, and a draft pick for a top line scorer.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
To us, maybe.

Colborne sucks.

Colborne doesn't suck from what I've seen. Whether or not he's consistent with the performances I've seen, I'll admit to a lil ignorance. But he sure doesn't suck.

As far as the other guys, perhaps you missed UCHTT's assumption? We wouldn't have a shot in hell of getting those guys.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Colborne doesn't suck from what I've seen. Whether or not he's consistent with the performances I've seen, I'll admit to a lil ignorance. But he sure doesn't suck.

As far as the other guys, perhaps you missed UCHTT's assumption? We wouldn't have a shot in hell of getting those guys.

Colborne doesn't suck, per se, but I wouldn't want him on my team. He's a huuuge pushover. Just no fight in the guy at all.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Colborne doesn't suck, per se, but I wouldn't want him on my team. He's a huuuge pushover. Just no fight in the guy at all.

He totally did when I saw him, like I said, if inconsistent I'm ignorant about it.

We've had a couple guys like that here over the years, a few showings of what they can do, but regularly won't...

Well then, taking words for it, I don't see us trading with Calgary without too much sacrifice.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
What's a realistic package that could bring a 30 goal scorer to this team? Is it possible to get that guy without including one of the "Young Guns"? I can't see any team accepting Flash, Shore/Petrovic, and a draft pick for a top line scorer.

Petrovic could attract some teams attention but it would definitely have to include probably a 1st or another really good prospect for us to get anything close to a 30 goal scorer. Only 21 guys scored 30 goals last year, and most of them are elite players that hold a really extreme value (Ovie, Crosby, Seguin, Kessel, Perry, Benn, Getzlaf, Pavelski, Pats, Skinner). That leaves us with 11 realistic options at getting a 30 goal scorer (Kunitz, Sharp, Marleau, Steen, Johansen, St. Louis, Bergeron, JVR, Iginla, Pominville, Hossa). Kunitz isn't even a 30 goal scorer without Crosby and neither is Steen, Johansen probably has a really high value as well, St. Louis is old and so is Iginla and Hossa. Which leaves us with 4 options in the end, Sharp, Marleau, Bergeron or JVR (all still would cost a lot). Scoring 30 goals in the NHL is not as easy as some people think it is.

Last edited:

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Kunitz isn't even a 30 goal scorer without Crosby and neither is Steen, Johansen probably has a really high value as well, St. Louis is old and so is Iginla and Hossa.

well, steen is most definitely a 30 goal scorer (probably the most underrated player in the league) especially without crosby lol.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
well, steen is most definitely a 30 goal scorer (probably the most underrated player in the league) especially without crosby lol.

steen scored 30 with an unrealistic shooting %, and have done it once

not a 30 goal scorer

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Agreed, Steen needs to show he can do it more than once. He's a heckuva player, but not necessarily the guy you want to count on for offense, hence why they picked up Paul Stastny.

Also, Marleau is pretty old now at 34. I would be surprised if he continued anywhere near a 30 goal pace after the next year or two. Not really a long term solution IMO.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Petrovic could attract some teams attention but it would definitely have to include probably a 1st or another really good prospect for us to get anything close to a 30 goal scorer. Only 21 guys scored 30 goals last year, and most of them are elite players that hold a really extreme value (Ovie, Crosby, Seguin, Kessel, Perry, Benn, Getzlaf, Pavelski, Pats, Skinner). That leaves us with 11 realistic options at getting a 30 goal scorer (Kunitz, Sharp, Marleau, Steen, Johansen, St. Louis, Bergeron, JVR, Iginla, Pominville, Hossa). Kunitz isn't even a 30 goal scorer without Crosby and neither is Steen, Johansen probably has a really high value as well, St. Louis is old and so is Iginla and Hossa. Which leaves us with 4 options in the end, Sharp, Marleau, Bergeron or JVR (all still would cost a lot). Scoring 30 goals in the NHL is not as easy as some people think it is.
Which is why I don't expect a big trade. Because unless Tallon is willing to give up Huberdeau/Barkov/Bjugstad and add something on to them, I don't think we get a 30 goal scorer through a trade.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
steen is the definition of a late bloomer. i'm positive he'll score even more next season. he's a beast

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
lol. he scored 30 goals and is not a 30 goal scorer? ok

I think he just meant a consistent 30 goal scorer. He's a very good player, but he's only done it once and there's no guarantee he does it again. He had an abnormally high shooting percentage last year (15.6%!). The law of averages predicts that his shooting percentage will return towards the mean the same way we expect Flash's shooting percentage to increase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad