Rumor: Robak/Petrovic for a veteran d-man or scorer

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
I think he just meant a consistent 30 goal scorer. He's a very good player, but he's only done it once and there's no guarantee he does it again. He had an abnormally high shooting percentage last year (15.6%!). The law of averages predicts that his shooting percentage will return towards the mean the same way we expect Flash's shooting percentage to increase.

no, of course not. there's no gurantee anything in the nhl will happen. it still doesn't change the fact that from the moment steen scored his 30th goal he became a 30 goal scorer. there's no coming around that. every player needs to have his first 30 goal season to become a consistent 30 goal scorer. right?
now, i'm not saying he is as of right now (and neither was that the point i was making in the first place, the point was just the fact that he did score over 30 goals last season) but i'm very positive he'll become a consistent 30 goal scorer starting next season.

i mean.. 33 goals in 68 games. what, he got lucky 33 times? i want a guy on the panthers thats as lucky as he is in that case.
late bloomer

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Agreed, Steen needs to show he can do it more than once. He's a heckuva player, but not necessarily the guy you want to count on for offense, hence why they picked up Paul Stastny.

Also, Marleau is pretty old now at 34. I would be surprised if he continued anywhere near a 30 goal pace after the next year or two. Not really a long term solution IMO.

Ya it wouldn't be very smart to take a 34yr old who put up 33 goals and 70pts in 82 games last season. His age is really starting to show. You can tell he is by only having 285 shots on net. Old man arms for sure.

What does Marleau bring that we don't already have? Other than Leadership, consistency, scoring, passing, great skating/positioning, BACK CHECKING, and what really bugs me is that he only gives 110% every game and Marleau is very injury prone. 5 seasons without being injured isn't very good IMHO.

We DO NOT need to surround our young guys around that crap for the next 4 years.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Ya it wouldn't be very smart to take a 34yr old who put up 33 goals and 70pts in 82 games last season. His age is really starting to show. You can tell he is by only having 285 shots on net. Old man arms for sure.

What does Marleau bring that we don't already have? Other than Leadership, consistency, scoring, passing, great skating/positioning, BACK CHECKING, and what really bugs me is that he only gives 110% every game and Marleau is very injury prone. 5 seasons without being injured isn't very good IMHO.

We DO NOT need to surround our young guys around that crap for the next 4 years.
Here here!!

Puck Junkie

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL

Noted the sarcasm…you can lay off now.

I have no problem with Marleau as a player, but the fact remains that players generally are in decline around 35, even the really good ones. Now that doesn't mean he will for sure, but it's a $6.66 million risk all the same.

I will say that he has been part of a culture that has always excelled in the regular season, but has been very poor in the playoffs. I'm not sure what that says about his leadership, but I've never been that impressed with that aspect of him as a player.

It's all moot anyways because Marleau has a full NMC and I doubt he would waive to go to the Panthers.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
no he was. steen was a 30 goal scorer and will be next season.
18 goals in 75 games
15 in 82
15 in 76
8 in 81
24 in 68
20 in 72
15 in 43
8 in 40 (lockout)
33 in 68

Steen has been on pace to reach it many times, but hasn't done so because of injuries. 85 games missed dating back to 09-10, his first full season with the Blues. Actually he's yet to have an injury-free season in St. Louis.

I wouldn't be surprised if he missed significant time again and doesn't reach 30 because of that.

CoolburnIsGone

18 goals in 75 games
15 in 82
15 in 76
8 in 81
24 in 68
20 in 72
15 in 43
8 in 40 (lockout)
33 in 68

Steen has been on pace to reach it many times, but hasn't done so because of injuries. 85 games missed dating back to 09-10, his first full season with the Blues. Actually he's yet to have an injury-free season in St. Louis.

I wouldn't be surprised if he missed significant time again and doesn't reach 30 because of that.
Yeah he's definitely had his injury issues but not major injuries except for 1 season. Missing around 10 games/yr isnt so bad and I wouldnt call that significant time. And he's scored 20+ goals twice in the last 5 yrs (separately from last season) so thats at least a good projection for him to score at least that much, even if he misses time. At the very least, he's a consistent 20+ goal scorer with obviously talent to score over 30.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Yeah he's definitely had his injury issues but not major injuries except for 1 season. Missing around 10 games/yr isnt so bad and I wouldnt call that significant time. And he's scored 20+ goals twice in the last 5 yrs (separately from last season) so thats at least a good projection for him to score at least that much, even if he misses time. At the very least, he's a consistent 20+ goal scorer with obviously talent to score over 30.

yeah, but to me, and most others i believe, calling someone a 30 goal scorer means he's a perennial 30 goal scorer that has scored it more than once in his career

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Dale will get more desperate the faster training camp approaches. I bet he knows we need another big piece up front. But, there will need to be at least a couple forwards moved as well. We have too many of the same types of players up front. It could spell disaster for us.

CoolburnIsGone

yeah, but to me, and most others i believe, calling someone a 30 goal scorer means he's a perennial 30 goal scorer that has scored it more than once in his career
Sure but you can call him a 20+ goal scorer with obvious potential to be a 30 goal scorer, right?

CoolburnIsGone

absolutely, but 20 and 30 is a very big difference
I dunno about it being a "very big" difference really. Is the difference between 24 and 30 that big to you (since he did score 24 goals in a season prior to last yr)?

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
How else do you become a 30 goal scorer if you don't score 30 goals once? He's officially part of the 30 goal club no matter what way you twist it. Just like Boyes is part of the 40 goal club.

What exactly are you arguing? Steen is a 30 goal scorer. Boyes is a 40 goal scorer. Unless I'm reading their stats wrong.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Argument is consistency. Would you rather have Crosby who regular nets over 30 goals (more if he could stay healthy), or Boyes, who's gotten over 40 once and over 30 once?

The Pens can depend more on Crosby's production than we can Boyes'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
That seems like a waste of time to even argue. Who said they would take Boyes over Crosby?

No one, I was trying to help with the definition. "30 goal scored" tends to hint that he can do that every year, not something they've done once and haven't achieved since.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Just a side note to the argument but I think most wouldn't hesitate to call Stamkos a 60 goal scorer.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
FYI, in a player poll before last season started, Alex Steen was voted the most underrated player in the NHL by his peers.

didn't know this but i'm not suprised at all.
anyways, mabye we should stop argue bout steen now. we're not getting him so..
i'm gonna go with an old one: we can all agree to disagree.
so, who do you guys think we should trade for with petrovic/robak + ? :sarcasm:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
didn't know this but i'm not suprised at all.
anyways, mabye we should stop argue bout steen now. we're not getting him so..
i'm gonna go with an old one: we can all agree to disagree.
so, who do you guys think we should trade for with petrovic/robak + ? :sarcasm:

Hoping Tallon can convince Chiarelli to ease his cap space by doing this deal?

Boychuk

for

Robak (preferred) OR Petrovic + 2015 2nd round pick (add if necessary)

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Just a side note to the argument but I think most wouldn't hesitate to call Stamkos a 60 goal scorer.

I wouldn't call Stamkos a 60 goal scorer, heck I wouldn't even call Ovy a 60 goal scorer. To me, calling someone a "X scorer/pointer" is a question of how likely it is that this player will get that amount of goals/points year in and year out. I'd call Ovy a 50 goal scorer because he reached that plateau 5 times out of 8. I'd call Stamkos a 50 goal scorer has well.

Someone that reach a plateau once, is not likely enough for me to be called a "X scorer/pointer". Same reason why I wouldn't call Fleischmann a 60 points scorer.

---

I'd really like to get Boychuk, but most Boston fans seem to think that they don't need to trade away guys because their RFA have no levarage at all so they'll be able to sign them for cheap.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
I wouldn't call Stamkos a 60 goal scorer, heck I wouldn't even call Ovy a 60 goal scorer. To me, calling someone a "X scorer/pointer" is a question of how likely it is that this player will get that amount of goals/points year in and year out. I'd call Ovy a 50 goal scorer because he reached that plateau 5 times out of 8. I'd call Stamkos a 50 goal scorer has well.

Someone that reach a plateau once, is not likely enough for me to be called a "X scorer/pointer". Same reason why I wouldn't call Fleischmann a 60 points scorer.

---

I'd really like to get Boychuk, but most Boston fans seem to think that they don't need to trade away guys because their RFA have no levarage at all so they'll be able to sign them for cheap.

I'd say Stamkos is definitely a 60 goal scorer. This year alone, he was pro-rated to have 55 goals, knowing him if he goes on a streak he could've scored 60 in my opinion. Same with Flash, he was pro-rated to 60 2 years ago as well, last year was iffy obviously, but I see what you're saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad