Proposal: Rob Scuderi

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
The piece has been a rock on d for us since we've signed him, but with his deal expiring after this season and his play being shaky at best (albeit through 4 games), is it time to cash in on his past play and move The Piece for some needed depth?

I'm pretty sure we could get a 1st and some solid depth players for him, but the question is, would you move him and what could we get for him?

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think he has been fine these past couple of games. I only noticed him having difficulty during the game against the Avalance, but he kept up with the kids in Edmonton.

He isn't very easy to deal as we have no one that can immediately step in for him internally, so we would essentially be looking to package him to trade up at the same position unless some team somewhere wants to swap similar players, which would defeat the purpose.

I think your value is a stretch as well, I can't imagine him fetching that price. It just falls to the same problem that we will have to add to get a similar player in return, we would be looking for a veteran defensive defenseman.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
With injuries increasing because of the short camp, I'd be scared to trade anyone right now unless it was for an upgrade.

RonSwanson*

I think trading Scuderi now is the move of a team that is out of contention.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Trading him is pointless. Let him finish out the year, then let him walk, save the cap space, and promote Martinez. Greene-Muzzin becomes 3rd line next year

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
No way he would warrant a first round pick. More likely a second or third.

But why would we move him? He's been a great partner for Drew and, imo, has played pretty well thus far.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If you guys don't think Scuderi would get a 1st round pick than I think you vastly underrate his value.

Solid, stay at home, defensive defensemen with a history of performing in the playoffs are ALWAYS in demand.

Lesser guys like Brenden Witt have returned 1st round picks at the deadline.

bobafettish*

think you overvalue him, maybe if he was signed beyond next year.

to answer your question, we have two defensman injured,
i dont think trading another is the smartest move.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
4 games in, 2 stay at home D out injured, let's discuss trading the 3rd.

Really?

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
think you overvalue him, maybe if he was signed beyond next year.

to answer your question, we have two defensman injured,
i dont think trading another is the smartest move.

Paul Gaustad was a UFA and got a 1st round pick and was a defensive forward only really good at faceoffs, so I think it's not a stretch to think Scuds could.

KingKopitar11*

Just out of Curiosity, I love Greene but what can get for Greene? Just wondering his value, I dont want him gone.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
If you guys don't think Scuderi would get a 1st round pick than I think you vastly underrate his value.

Solid, stay at home, defensive defensemen with a history of performing in the playoffs are ALWAYS in demand.

Lesser guys like Brenden Witt have returned 1st round picks at the deadline.

Well, the original proposal was hinting at three assets, including a first round pick, which is pretty sizable for a rental Scuderi.

Also, to get a return like that, we would have to sell him away for a pick. That would make absolutely no sense for a contender. I think people are just too used to the old Kings :P The defending Stanley Cup Champion Kings aren't sellers, especially when it comes to unloading the last healthy veteran defenseman on the team for no immediate return. A first round pick is worthless to this team this season.

The draft lottery has changed as well, which alters the trade market. He might warrant a single late first round pick to a desperate team at the deadline, though we would likely have to add a late pick to him, like the Gaustad deal; however, with no first round pick of our own, I see no reason why we would surrender the season and promote more kids.

Paul Gaustad was a UFA and got a 1st round pick and was a defensive forward only really good at faceoffs, so I think it's not a stretch to think Scuds could.

Not necessarily. Buffalo traded Gaustad + 4th round pick for what was guaranteed to be a late first round pick. Also Gaustad is considerably younger.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
There's no way we can trade Scuds with Mitchell and Greene out of the lineup.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
If anything I'd want him extended. He played as a top pairing d-man on a stanley cup champion team.

He'd easily fetch a first at the trade deadline if the Kings were to go that route, but I really doubt they're looking to sell.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Could see the Kings bringing back Scuderi, considering that there is no better option within the roster to replace him and the uncertainty of Mitchell's durability. He's the type of dman who has a lot of miles left on him, much like Sean O'Donnell. Just bring him back at a lower cost.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Could see the Kings bringing back Scuderi, considering that there is no better option within the roster to replace him and the uncertainty of Mitchell's durability. He's the type of dman who has a lot of miles left on him, much like Sean O'Donnell. Just bring him back at a lower cost.
I can see us trying to bring him back and I could see some team overpaying for him in free agency though too.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Extended him for 2 years unless we are out of contention and get a first pick back. He needs to play under 20 minutes a game in a shutdown role to be effective. Right now they are over extending him in minutes because of injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad