NFL: Rob Gronkowski wants to unretire to play for the Buccaneers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I'd like to say Thank You to Gronk for saving the Lions GM from trading for him and calling his bluff towards Belichick.

Would have ended up no better than the Pat Swilling trade.

OKOptimistic

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
He had Disc Hernia earlier in college and during his NFL career so good for him his body probably told him to stop

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Arguably the best TE ever or close to it, had he played another 5 years he would be the undisputed #1.

Such a. fun loving guy who just wanted to play football and party. Going to miss his personality, hope he ends up in Hollywood or somewhere we can still enjoy him.

One of THE most likeable players in NFL history.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Great player, funny guy, will be missed.

I am happy for him that he can go out on top and relatively healthy. He suffered a LOT of injuries. Might be the best thing for him to leave now.

As a Patriots fan, I would have hoped he would have stayed for a few years, but, meh, BB will manage.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I feel like his peak was probably the best ever for the TE position but not sure you could call him the best ever given the lack of longevity. Hell of a career in such a short time.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
His 2011 season might have been the best season by a tight end in NFL history.

My dynasty team weeps. Happy retirement, Gronk.

OT, but I think I read once that he never spent any of his contract money.
I remember reading/hearing this as well. Something his dad setup; basically (from what I remember), Gronk lived on side work/advertising contracts and all of his actual salary/bonuses went to a trust that was to be opened after he retired.

I know everyone likely knows this but I think it's worth adding it to the discussion about Gronk the player: He was an absolute beast in the blocking game, something that most other TEs even close to his offensive stats cannot come close to claiming.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
He will be missed but smart and right decision for him. Thank you Gronk for all the memories and enjoy your retirement. I'm glad that you never played for another team (a rarity in the NFL and especially when you play for the Patriots).

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
there was no other TE as physically gifted and hard to bring down as he was. unfortunately for him that's what led to his downfall

although i can see him coming back after a year off

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
His 2011 season might have been the best season by a tight end in NFL history.

My dynasty team weeps. Happy retirement, Gronk.

OT, but I think I read once that he never spent any of his contract money.

Yes, out of the 60 million hes earned as salary he hasnt spent a single dollar. He's lived off endorsement income for the last 9 years.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I feel like his peak was probably the best ever for the TE position but not sure you could call him the best ever given the lack of longevity. Hell of a career in such a short time.

He's not the greatest ever. That's Tony Gonzalez. Still, hell of a career for Gronk.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
there was no other TE as physically gifted and hard to bring down as he was. unfortunately for him that's what led to his downfall

although i can see him coming back after a year off

Yup. The only one that comes close is Antonio Gates. Injuries ruined his career.

I'll be shocked if he comes back.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
best I've ever seen....this coming from a Colts fan.

Still feel like he might play next season, though.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's not the greatest ever. That's Tony Gonzalez. Still, hell of a career for Gronk.

Theres an argument to be had tho, Gronk peaked higher and has as many 1,000 yard seasons in 9 years as Gonzalez did in 17. Gronk is also a 4x 1st team All-Pro to Gonzalez' 6 in just more than half the seasons.

best I've ever seen....this coming from a Colts fan.

Still feel like he might play next season, though.

Can totally see a fully rested Gronk come back in Week 12 for the end of season/playoff run.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Theres an argument to be had tho, Gronk peaked higher and has as many 1,000 yard seasons in 9 years as Gonzalez did in 17. Gronk is also a 4x 1st team All-Pro to Gonzalez' 6 in just more than half the seasons.

Can totally see a fully rested Gronk come back in Week 12 for the end of season/playoff run.

Gronk had the greatest season ever by a TE.

Gronk's career high is 90 catches. Something Gonzalez has done 5 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad