Road trip

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Anyone have plans to see the team on the road next season? Could be some pivitol games to see the tank in action.

I wouldn't mind seeing a game on the Island or New Jersey. Would be nice to see one of the last games at the colisieum, but I don't know if I want to drive another hour for that.

EDIT: Wow I guess thats how I spell pivotal at 8am hungover.

Last edited:

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
The Coliseum is actually a pretty fun environment to catch games in. I've been to one game each of the last two years and we won both. It's hilarious to see Isles fans get worked up over their team sucking. I wasn't even close to being obnoxious, and I was harshly confronted by a ~70 year old lady after one of the games :laugh:

I'll be in NYC this year so I'm gonna catch at least one game in Newark, MSG, and Uniondale for sure. I'll probably try to make the trek to Philly for a game. Maybe even Boston, but we'll see.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
The Coliseum is actually a pretty fun environment to catch games in. I've been to one game each of the last two years and we won both. It's hilarious to see Isles fans get worked up over their team sucking. I wasn't even close to being obnoxious, and I was harshly confronted by a ~70 year old lady after one of the games :laugh:

I'll be in NYC this year so I'm gonna catch at least one game in Newark, MSG, and Uniondale for sure. I'll probably try to make the trek to Philly for a game. Maybe even Boston, but we'll see.

Philly is enticing since its so close to me but I think the city sucks and IDK if I want to deal with their fans.

I much rather go to an arena where the fans actually care. Staples Center and Honda Arena almost put me to sleep last year. Makes me lean towards the colisieum. Just wished traffic didnt suck so much on Long Island.

MSG was a pretty awesome experience last year. The arena is so so improved.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
My girlfriend grew up outside Philly and still goes back occasionally. I'd be tempted to go to one at the Wells Fargo Center if it didn't mean, you know, dealing with Philly fans. I think I'd rather just take her to a Flyers game here in town (which she's asked if we could do despite not being much of a hockey fan).

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Philly is enticing since its so close to me but I think the city sucks and IDK if I want to deal with their fans.

I much rather go to an arena where the fans actually care. Staples Center and Honda Arena almost put me to sleep last year. Makes me lean towards the colisieum. Just wished traffic didnt suck so much on Long Island.

MSG was a pretty awesome experience last year. The arena is so so improved.

I went to Staples and Honda last year too. I had a great time at Staples. I got razzed like crazy for having a Canes jersey, but it was mostly good natured. I sat upper level though, so I probably got the more serious hockey fans. Agreed about Anaheim though, it was so dead there.

I've been to MSG once, (March 2012) but it wasn't for a Canes game. It was really cool.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Been to MSG years back for the Big East Tourney, that place was a hole and completely dead at the time. Not sure I plan on going back any time soon.

On the other hand, I've been to Philly before, and was fine. Helped that I was wearing a Brind'Amour shirt though, they generally won't **** with Canes fans if you're wearing something that says Brindy, Williams, or Kapanen. Not a lot of hate from them towards Canes fans anyhow.

Nashville was ****ing awsome. 10/10, would slam.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Been to MSG years back for the Big East Tourney, that place was a hole and completely dead at the time. Not sure I plan on going back any time soon.

On the other hand, I've been to Philly before, and was fine. Helped that I was wearing a Brind'Amour shirt though, they generally won't **** with Canes fans if you're wearing something that says Brindy, Williams, or Kapanen. Not a lot of hate from them towards Canes fans anyhow.

Nashville was ****ing awsome. 10/10, would slam.

To be fair, MSG has supposedly become much improved as a result of the recent renos. And hey, you can always take Amtrak straight there = pregaming on the train.

didnt they drastically renovate msg recently

Yup. They sunk $1B into a reno on it. Per the pedia of Wikis:

New features include a larger entrance with interactive kiosks, retail, climate controlled space, and broadcast studio; larger concourses; new lighting and LED video systems with HDTV; new seating; two new pedestrian walkways suspended from the ceiling to allow fans to look directly down onto the games being played below; more dining options; and improved dressing rooms, locker rooms, green rooms, upgraded roof, and production offices. The in-arena walkways were eliminated, and portals have been installed between the sections. The lower bowl concourse, called the Madison Concourse, remains on the 6th floor. The upper bowl concourse was relocated to the 8th floor and it is known as the Garden Concourse. The seventh floor houses the new Madison Suites and the Madison Club. The upper bowl was built on top of these suites. The Loge 100 and 200 level were combined to create the new lower bowl. The 300 and 400 level were combined to create the new upper bowl. The periphery of the arena allows for city views. Construction of the lower bowl (Phase One) was completed for the 2011–2012 NHL season and the 2011-12 NBA lockout shortened season. An extended off-season for the Garden permitted some advanced work to begin on the new upper bowl, which was completed in time for the 2012–2013 NBA season and the 2012–13 NHL lockout-shortened NHL season. This advance work included the West Balcony on the 10th floor, taking the place of sky-boxes, and new end-ice 300 level seating. The construction of the upper bowl along with the Madison Suites and the Madison Club (Phase Two) were completed for the 2012–2013 NHL and NBA seasons. The construction of the new lobby known as Chase Square, along with the Chase Bridges and the new scoreboard (Phase Three) were completed for the 2013–2014 NHL and NBA seasons.

The scoreboard looks pretty nifty.

800px-Madison_Square_Garden_Transformation_Stage_3.jpg

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I've been to MSG pre-rennovation and post-rennovation. It is a completely different arena.

I'd say it's one of the nicest now.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net

Others may have had different experiences, and everyone has their own story to tell, but I've been to two Canes games in Philly and they were two of the best road experiences I've ever had (I've been to games in 10 cities). Flyers fans are a blast. There was plenty of good natured trash talking but overall it was one of the friendliest experiences I've had. I don't think the people who attend Flyers games are the same that attend Eagles games, where the reputation is much more deserved.

I also have to defend the city of Philadelphia itself. I'll admit I have no idea what Center City was like 10 or 20 years ago; I definitely have heard some bad things. But today, Philly is one of my favorite cities in the country, probably #2 behind New York. It's my favorite hands down from an urban design perspective. Incredibly walkable, amazing narrow streets, vibrant street-level activity. There are tons of great restaurants and bars, and it's all so affordable (especially to me since I live in NYC). I've been to Philly many many times yet every time as soon as I start walking around I have this eye opening moment because I had forgotten how cool it is. South 9th Street... one of the coolest streets in America in my eyes. The Italian Market is awesome. Rittenhouse Square is one of the best public spaces in the country. I could go on and on.

As far as sports go, I like the way they have grouped all of their venues together on the fringe of the city where they are still accessible by mass transit and can share parking so less is needed.

As far as MSG is concerned, it was just about the worst arena in the league in my book prior to the renovations. Now it's excellent, though the sky bridge things are horrifying and destroy the view if you have the unfortunate pleasure of seats in the upper deck behind them. It's also crazy expensive to get Rangers tickets now.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I also have to defend the city of Philadelphia itself. I'll admit I have no idea what Center City was like 10 or 20 years ago; I definitely have heard some bad things. But today, Philly is one of my favorite cities in the country, probably #2 behind New York. It's my favorite hands down from an urban design perspective. Incredibly walkable, amazing narrow streets, vibrant street-level activity. There are tons of great restaurants and bars, and it's all so affordable (especially to me since I live in NYC). I've been to Philly many many times yet every time as soon as I start walking around I have this eye opening moment because I had forgotten how cool it is. South 9th Street... one of the coolest streets in America in my eyes. The Italian Market is awesome. Rittenhouse Square is one of the best public spaces in the country. I could go on and on.

I agree that center city is pretty cool. It just seemed to me that the whole city was just dead though. I went to the "italian market" and I saw one kid kicking a soccer ball around at like 5:30 with a bunch of empty stands. Didn't really seem like people hang out downtown. And it is so freaking dirty. Makes NYC look clean.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Pittsburgh is my second favorite city after New York, nothing else really comes close to either of those two.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Why is Nashville such a good place to go to? The actual city or the arena or the food???

Yes.

It's right by a lot of the best bars in Nashville so it's very easy to just grab a great bite before the game. The atmosphere at the games is awesome, though the Preds were actually damn good at the time I went as well so who knows if it's gone all PNC Arena on them. Some of their cheering stuff is a LOT more organized then what we do here outside of some playoff runs. Basically it's a lot like our crowd was about 7-8 years ago instead of how it currently is. A lot more diehards (like our arena used to be), and while it's still family friendly they're not going to give you **** if you get into the game, unlike here.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Only NHL game outside of Raleigh I've seen was in Nashville as I was visiting my girlfriend, now fiancee, who was in college. The atmosphere was lovely, and equally southern to our own franchise. I saw them play the Stars and it was interesting to root for a different team. I wasn't used to their systems. I found that it seemed like the Stars had a lot more scoring chances than the Preds but the Preds scored with each one they got. It might've just been the game.

I like our arena better. I was in the top section midice and the ice seemed further down from my usual vantage point in 328. And the music was skewed country. And they have more cheerleaders. That said, the arena was in a much, much better location as it was right downtown and there were many bars within walking distance. They're all pretty terrible, play country, and are overcrowded, but it beats Backyard Bistro and roads named after a Karmanos family member.

Rad ChaLose

Aug 3, 2012
Why is Nashville such a good place to go to? The actual city or the arena or the food???

I went to a Nashville game in fall of 2011 (I forgot who they played, not the Canes). My buddy lived a block off of Broadway, so that helped the experience. We went for pregame beers directly across from Bridgestone, and easily purchased decent tickets from a scalper right before the game.

The crowd in Nashville is loud and energetic. They weren't obnoxious, but were rowdy in a good way. Everyone I encountered there was very nice. They had live bands that played on temporary stages above the zamboni entrance during intermissions, which was pretty unique and cool.

I don't have any other away games to compare it to, but it was a great time.

EDIT: I had very similar experiences to those who posted just before me. The crowd was a good balance of fun and rowdy, but nice and friendly. I remember think a Cup final between the Canes and Preds would be epic. And the music was very country heavy, which is to be expected.

Last edited:

bluedevil58*

My wives family lives in Pitt. I will be going to some Pens games in Pitt this winter. Such a great sports city.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
if anybody wants to brave the mouth breathers and see a game in Toronto, let me know and I will accompany!

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
May or may not make the drive from Atlanta to Nashville, depending if I have a car (I probably won't). Of course in the spring I'm looking to intern somewhere, so depending on where that is I'll definitely try to check out something...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad