Sportsnet: RNH generating trade interest

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Depending on the deal I’d rather trade you Sprong than Sheary. Sheary gets us closer to winning the cup now and next year. Sprong has the talent to be a star but not sure about him in the NHL right now.

Don’t sleep on Sheary. Kid plays with 100% motor and heart each shift and his speed causes problems. Shesry and Crosby cause so many problems to the other teams with offensive puck possession because you can’t catch them and they are on your ass as soon as you get the puck.

I like both, I’m also a fan of RNH. I’m thinking long term so Sprong would be more enticing for me

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm just curious what Oilers fans think, what would the Penguins need to add on top of this deal:

Penguins trade Sheary, Hagelin and Cole
Oilers trade RNH, Maroon and Gryba

I don't think that's a fair deal for the Oilers, but I'm not sure what the Penguins would have to add on top of that to make it a fair deal.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Honestly It would probably be better if the Oilers didn't make any trades with ANY team as long as Chia is still the GM.:laugh:

RNH to NJD, for Ben Lovejoy . . .

Straight up.

715084dc93cd4a3eb03e4dcc4c64de0d-715084dc93cd4a3eb03e4dcc4c64de0d-0.jpg

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Seabrook is cheaper than Weber has less term and has those “intangibles” a dope like chia covets. Chicago kicks their can down a the road a season or two but will be one hook for more term than seabrook who is already declining. Montreal gets the young middle 6er who maybe a schoosh overpaid but for MTL it’s still a lot better than having cap liability till the year 3000

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm just curious what Oilers fans think, what would the Penguins need to add on top of this deal:

Penguins trade Sheary, Hagelin and Cole
Oilers trade RNH, Maroon and Gryba

I don't think that's a fair deal for the Oilers, but I'm not sure what the Penguins would have to add on top of that to make it a fair deal.

I don't see that as a trade the Oilers would or should entertain, more or less regardless of what a 'reasonable' add would be.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see that as a trade the Oilers would or should entertain, more or less regardless of what a 'reasonable' add would be.

That makes sense, I'm not really sure how the Penguins could pull off RNH at this point. I think they'd be smarter to aim lower at Strome, with trying to bait Chiarelli to move Strome for Hagelin and a depth forward.

Do you know how the Oilers view Benning overall? Not fans, like the management. Someone on the Pens board said they'd love to do Cole for Benning, and when I originally scoffed at it, I remembered that Chiarelli traded Davidson last year for a pending UFA in Desharnais,

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That makes sense, I'm not really sure how the Penguins could pull off RNH at this point. I think they'd be smarter to aim lower at Strome, with trying to bait Chiarelli to move Strome for Hagelin and a depth forward.

Do you know how the Oilers view Benning overall? Not fans, like the management. Someone on the Pens board said they'd love to do Cole for Benning, and when I originally scoffed at it, I remembered that Chiarelli traded Davidson last year for a pending UFA in Desharnais,

Strome would be a good deal cheaper but other than being fast I'm not sure what Hagelin brings at this stage, and Strome is finding his groove a bit here - just scored against Boston. Laser of a shot, beat Rask clean high glove.

Benning is relatively liked - I think. He was first choice among the coaching staff to fill in Sekera's minutes and literally emerged out of nowhere in training camp last year. Like most of the team though he's taken a step back this season, but RHD is still an organizational weak spot.

Reactions: ujju2

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Strome would be a good deal cheaper but other than being fast I'm not sure what Hagelin brings at this stage.

Benning is relatively liked - I think. He was first choice among the coaching staff to fill in Sekera's minutes and literally emerged out of nowhere in training camp last year. Like most of the team though he's taken a step back this season, but RHD is still an organizational weak spot.

Hagelin is still really good defensively and an aggressive forechecker, he just hasn't had any luck offensively and it's not looking like it's improving. He did get a big shot in the arm the last time he was traded, he put up asinine numbers with the Penguins in the 2016 run (27 points in 37 regular season games with Pittsburgh, which was consistently spread out). If Edmonton would trade for him right now, I think he'd be good for the Oilers for the rest of this season, and in the playoffs if they make the playoffs. It's just a problem that he has another year on his contract.

If the line was Hagelin-McDavid-Draisaitl, I think that line would do extremely well and Hagelin would be able to produce. Considering the entire Penguins team can't produce at ES and he doesn't play on the PP, it's not too surprising he's struggling to produce this year. However, I also feel like it's inevitable that the dam is going to break sooner than later. The Penguins only have a team ES on ice shooting% of 5.1% this year. That has to go back to the mean, which is probably going to involve an absolute explosion of ES goals sooner than later.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Any thoughts on:

RNH & Lucic for Pacioretty, Plekanec(2M retained) & prospect of your choice not named Mete.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What are they actually looking for?

A defenseman, scoring or a picks/prospects retooling type move?

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
Somehow I read thread title as

RNH generational trade interest.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Any thoughts on:

RNH & Lucic for Pacioretty, Plekanec(2M retained) & prospect of your choice not named Mete.

Probably the best offer in this thread... however, with Patches not signed past next season and Plekanec a UFA, I don't relish the thought of turning RNH and Lucic into... what, Poehling?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Probably the best offer in this thread... however, with Patches not signed past next season and Plekanec a UFA, I don't relish the thought of turning RNH and Lucic into... what, Poehling?

I think two seasons should be plenty of time to re-sign Pacioretty and then the thought of him playing with McDavid has to be enticing. As for Plekanec that's a fair point, I see it more as a framework for a deal but I can see why Edmonton wouldn't want to take that risk.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Any thoughts on:

in a vacuum, value is there, but Please i dont want anything to do with Lucic. i hate these kind of player. even if it brings us a center in RNH, wich i like!

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
What are they actually looking for?

A defenseman, scoring or a picks/prospects retooling type move?
I have no idea what we'd be looking for, so good luck to you figuring it out. If McLellan has his say he won't be traded at all, but I'd guess he could be had for a potential number 1 d-man, Nuge obviously isn't worth a number 1 d-man, but a young d-man who has the tools to be something special, but hasn't put things together or a cost controlled winger that is a near ideal fit for McDavid or Draisaitl.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Really think trading RNH would be a bad mistake for the Oilers unless its vast overpayment. Hes been really good this year. I think hes a pretty underrated player. If they do trade him, I could really see him flourishing in the right environment.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Really think trading RNH would be a bad mistake for the Oilers unless its vast overpayment. Hes been really good this year. I think hes a pretty underrated player. If they do trade him, I could really see him flourishing in the right environment.

You are probably right but he probably outside of mcdavid and drai he’s got a ton of bad money tied up elsewhere. He maybe the lone big money asset where they could get something decent in trade

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Have to wonder at this point to the Ducks and Oil forget about the in division wrinkle and talk a trade. They each have what the other team is looking for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad