Sportsnet: RNH generating trade interest

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

The article mentions the Bruins and Panthers as to teams that could be in on him, it also mentions Maroon being of interest to the Blues.

How Montreal is not mentioned is baffling to me, they have the worst center depth in the NHL bar none, if RNH is out there they should be in on him

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
How Montreal is not mentioned is baffling to me, they have the worst center depth in the NHL bar none, if RNH is out there they should be in on him
There's probably a good reason why Montreal wouldn't be in on RNH. It sounds like they're facing a difficult decision around whether or not they're going to rebuild. The assets that would be needed to acquire someone like RNH are those same assets a rebuilding team needs to build around or trade for picks and prospects. RNH is a great player but the Habs aren't really in a position to pursue - yet.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Maroon doesn't do much for STL.

Also, the guy in the purple has a very punchable face type of demeanor.

Would possibly be a good time to sell high on RNH though. Although I'm not sure that they should trade him.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Although I wouldn't be in favor of this, I see a RNH for Galchenyuk swap happening.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I'm sure teams would be interested in RNH. I just wonder if there's a hockey trade to be had for Edmonton, or if it would be a liquidation move.
Good question. It would probably be a really tough to sell a rebuild reboot to Oilers fans so Chia is probably aiming at a hockey trade - which doesn't seem to be an easy thing to do at this stage in the season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm sure teams would be interested in RNH. I just wonder if there's a hockey trade to be had for Edmonton, or if it would be a liquidation move.

They already made their liquidation move with the Eberle trade. If Chia is making an RNH trade, it has to be a good hockey trade, not a cap move but I've lost all confidence in his ability to maximize RNH's value so I'm preparing for an RNH for Petrovic trade.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
We do have 8yrs of McDavid and Drai, the best choice is a retool to be a contender in 3 years. Develop some young guys and build depth. There is no quick fix trade coming

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
We do have 8yrs of McDavid and Drai, the best choice is a retool to be a contender in 3 years. Develop some young guys and build depth. There is no quick fix trade coming
I agree - which is too bad. It's probably going to be best to make a rebuilding-type future oriented deal. What is this going to be - rebuild 3.0?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I agree - which is too bad. What is this going to be - rebuild 3.0?

To be fair the core is in place, Tablot, McD, Dri, Nurse, Larsson and Klef. The sky isn't falling. We have a good draft position coming and a few players in the pipe line Bear, Yamo, Pulju and can sell assets like RNH, Maroon and maybe even Sekera for younger longterm assets.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Would possibly be a good time to sell high on RNH though. Although I'm not sure that they should trade him.
They shouldn't. Our team lacks scoring and the first thing we'll be looking for after we trade him is another center. Unless a team offers a Duchene level return of NHL ready assets, the point of an RNH trade eludes me.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
To be fair the core is in place, Tablot, McD, Dri, Nurse, Larsson and Klef. The sky isn't falling. We have a good draft position coming and a few players in the pipe line Bear, Yamo, Pulju and can sell assets like RNH, Maroon and maybe even Sekera for younger longterm assets.
You're right about McDavid and Dri but I wonder about the others. Yes this year's first round pick is going to be another high one but at some point they're going to have to focus on more support-oriented assets (IE - they didn't draft and develop nearly enough D and goalies in their recent rebuilds) and that's something they can fix this time around.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
You're right about McDavid and Dri but I wonder about the others. Yes this year's first round pick is going to be another high one but at some point they're going to have to focus on more support-oriented assets (IE - they didn't draft and develop nearly enough D and goalies in their recent rebuilds) and that's something they can fix this time around.

I proposed trading the pick for Max Domi and Anthony Duclair in another thread providing it's not going to be Dahlin. I'd target players in the Drai age group as either support players like Duclair or someone like Domi who'd be a core piece.

Ant trade I'd consider comes with the question where does this trade put us in 2 years. That's when I'd like to see the window begin opening.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

I think Maroon wants to play for the Blues because he is from STL and his ex and kid live their or something.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I proposed trading the pick for Max Domi and Anthony Duclair in another thread providing it's not going to be Dahlin. I'd target players in the Drai age group as either support players like Duclair or someone like Domi who'd be a core piece.
I agree that they may have to trade it but a better option may be to trade down during the first round of the draft. They could acquire extra 2nd and 3rd round picks (Without sacrificing anybody on their roster) and grab those extra goalies and defensemen they need to feed into their development pipeline. For me this would also be an economic issue - if they keep and use a high 2018 pick they're going to have to find cap space in order to keep that player for the long haul.

This is also why I'm hoping that if/when RNH is traded it's for a package that includes a 2nd round pick or two (In addition to contracts, prospects, etc) .

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
There's probably a good reason why Montreal wouldn't be in on RNH. It sounds like they're facing a difficult decision around whether or not they're going to rebuild. The assets that would be needed to acquire someone like RNH are those same assets a rebuilding team needs to build around or trade for picks and prospects. RNH is a great player but the Habs aren't really in a position to pursue - yet.
How is RNH a great player ???

Reactions: Flamesjustwin

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
How is RNH a great player ???

Hung up on a word. How's very good? He's had 3 50+ point season by 22 and is on a current career pace to break 60. I'd like to see what he'd do without being saddled with players like Lucic.

Someone mentioned the Duchene comparable. I'd like to see how well RNH would produce on a line with MacKinnon

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Hung up on a word. How's very good? He's had 3 50+ point season by 22 and is on a current career pace to break 60. I'd like to see what he'd do without being saddled with players like Lucic.

Someone mentioned the Duchene comparable. I'd like to see how well RNH would produce on a line with MacKinnon

Duchene didn't play with MacKinnon often.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I don't know what the Panthers could offer that the Oilers would be interested in. Some combination at the NHL level of Brickley, Bjugstad, Petro, Pysyk? Doesn't seem like nearly enough value. Enough quantity though, lol. I can't see Tallon moving any of our high picks or top prospects either given where we are in the standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad