Value of: RNH for Drouin swap, as a base

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I guess McDavid isn't good enough to turn streaky unreliable Drouin into a 30 goal man?

I kid, I kid.

East? I thought you said Weise'd.
weise would probably bare more value than any habs winger now lol

kidding ofc

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Over the last 3 years RNH has 1.13 primary points per 60 (ES). As a comparison, Brendan Gallagher has 1.49 and Plekanec has .98. RNH has 48.25% scoring chance for percentage this season, despite only Strome McDavid Draisaitl and Maroon having more favorable zone starts among Oilers forwards. (All 4 of whom have over 50.75% scf%)
Did you just say that every center on the team had more favorable zone starts than RNH..? I’m not an analytics guy but doesn’t that mean RNH gets the fewest of Oilers centers..?

AKA that point doesn’t help your argument. You’re nitpicking really irrelevant shit to try and prove Drouin is better but he plays a less important position, isn’t relied on in all situations and doesn’t even outproduce Nuge. So f*** all that garbage you’re bringing up, that’s all you need to know to realize who the better player is. And before you say Drouin has no one to play with, Nuge was playing with absolute trash prior to playing with Mcdavid.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Over the last 3 years RNH has 1.13 primary points per 60 (ES). As a comparison, Brendan Gallagher has 1.49 and Plekanec has .98. RNH has 48.25% scoring chance for percentage this season, despite only Strome McDavid Draisaitl and Maroon having more favorable zone starts among Oilers forwards. (All 4 of whom have over 50.75% scf%)
Not a big RNH fan, but you are cherry picking stats to prove a point. The two years previous to this one were awful, injury filled ones for RNH. Why not look further back, to get a more complete view of him as a player?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

All of this means nothing unless you’re doing things like pulling common linemates, qualcomp, situational deployment (leading/trailing/tied), hell even things like coaching tendencies can play a part. Ditto for scoring chances - if your stats say Ryan Strome and Pat Maroon are better offensive players than RNH then your stats simply are not getting the full picture.

Disregarding secondary assists in a C vs W argument is dishonest as well, because so many plays run through the centre, they might have the vision to, say, drop a pass to the trailing defenceman who then threads it to the driving winger for the goal. Or a fantastic cross crease pass that’s saved and a net crasher bangs home a rebound. I’ve seen plenty of second assists a lot more impressive than a primary assist.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not a big RNH fan, but you are cherry picking stats to prove a point. The two years previous to this one were awful, injury filled ones for RNH. Why not look further back, to get a more complete view of him as a player?

LiarLiarJimCarreyBecauseItsDevastatingToMyCase.gif

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
LOL plus/minus

Drouin has 49.12% scoring chance for percentage. Not great but better than the Nuge. Drouin also shot unsustainably low at 5v5, 5.59% on ice shooting percentage. Basically the opposing goalie was rolling at .941 when he was on the ice.

Plus minus is as meaningless as your assertion that Drouin is the better player.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
All of this means nothing unless you’re doing things like pulling common linemates, qualcomp, situational deployment (leading/trailing/tied), hell even things like coaching tendencies can play a part. Ditto for scoring chances - if your stats say Ryan Strome and Pat Maroon are better offensive players than RNH then your stats simply are not getting the full picture.

Disregarding secondary assists in a C vs W argument is dishonest as well, because so many plays run through the centre, they might have the vision to, say, drop a pass to the trailing defenceman who then threads it to the driving winger for the goal. Or a fantastic cross crease pass that’s saved and a net crasher bangs home a rebound. I’ve seen plenty of second assists a lot more impressive than a primary assist.
No the stats don’t say Maroon and a strome are better offensively, they say that they have significantly better possession stats despite barely easier zone starts. RNH’s two way game is massively overrated.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I’m not really cherry picking, these are stats I often use to evaluate players.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I'd think something like this could work:

RNH + 2019 2nd

for

Drouin + Mete

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
I'm not touching the value of the trade because both fan base's have repeatedly said no, but it would be a terrible move by Mtl to trade a top D prospect (that was badly needed) for Drouin and then immediately trade him the next year when his value has fallen.

Play Drouin on the wing where he belongs and get a good center to play with him, don't trade him when his value is at the lowest... If MB trades Drouin for anything that can be seen as a downgrade (relax I'm not saying RNH is a downgrade, I'm talking in general) it would mean he made a mistake, which he won't do, and I don't think many teams are lining up to overpay for him.

That being said, Drouin has plenty of skill and is fast as hell, he would look amazing on McDavids wing.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Based on RNH’s average ES scoring numbers without McDavid

RNH played for many years without Mcdavid, and those numbers are still better than Drouin...even when Tampa pumped his stats by putting him with Stamkos Kucherov Hedman etc.

Every part of Nuges game is better than Drouin, and he's a natural centre.

Reactions: ivanlwan

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I feel bad for the habs fans who actually think Drouin is in any way more valuable than RNH

Face it we got hosed and never should have traded Sergachev for a winger who likes taking nights off.

To be fair, I've only seen Drouin take nights off after the half-season or so.... which is not entirely bad considering we ended up with a better draft pick. Also, except from Gallagher, Byron, Mete/Juulsen most of our players took some nights off. Reality is most players take nights off, it only shows when you're on a bad team tho!!

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
RNH played for many years without Mcdavid, and those numbers are still better than Drouin...even when Tampa pumped his stats by putting him with Stamkos Kucherov Hedman etc.

Every part of Nuges game is better than Drouin, and he's a natural centre.

LOL... I'm sure you did a pretty deep search to come up with this post

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
To be fair, I've only seen Drouin take nights off after the half-season or so.... which is not entirely bad considering we ended up with a better draft pick. Also, except from Gallagher, Byron, Mete/Juulsen most of our players took some nights off. Reality is most players take nights off, it only shows when you're on a bad team tho!!

Id go even further and say he would have been way better last year played by just being used in correct position, that alone would have helped with motivation etc. He is definitely a highly skilled player and would be obviously better coming off the wing. He has an amazing top side shot on the short side with speed

Bergevin is the master of overpaying for players and then grinding down their value. Drouin wasn't even top 3 in Tampa's scoring depth but we needed him to be our top C....and he's not a centre. This is logic I can't follow

Reactions: jfhabs

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
That being said, Drouin has plenty of skill and is fast as hell, he would look amazing on McDavids wing.

Nah, I prefer smart players next to McJesus. Fast players have been tried but all they do is skate fast. Connor works best with cerebral types like Draisaitl and Nuge... and also crash bang types like Maroon (who has underrated passing and puck protection skills).

Reactions: THall4

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Nugent Hopkins doesn't help Montreal he isn't # 1 and he's an average # 2 center
The 1st overall pick 2011 has never lived up to expectations .

And the 3rd pick from 2013 has been worse. The habs aren't getting a center better then RNH is anyway either, you guys don't have the assets for a #1C and all the coveted FA's wouldn't sign there.

Sucks to suck.

Reactions: A91

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
RNH has played so well on the wing, there is no reason to trade him for a winger at this point.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nuge is probably going to get 30+ goals on mcdavids wing next year. Drouin has what? Cracked 50 points once? Even as a winger. I don’t see this massive upside of Drouin as a winger. Nuge as a full time winger will produce more I bet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad