Tribute RJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Either way, RJ's job talking Sabres games up in a chair in a booth isn't any more physically demanding then sitting at home stressing over a game. I'm sure it won't be a problem for him to return to work, barring any further complications.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
If im the Sabres, I don’t let this guy back into the booth.

Do we really want a repeat of last night with a much worse ending?
As he said a few years ago when he retired in offseason but then decided to return on a reduced game and reduced travel schedule, (paraphrasing) “I’m 78 years old, I’ve been doing this for nearly 50 years, what else am I going to do?”

He knows people in hockey around the continent from coast to coast. I don’t know how I’d survive the social aspect of halting those connections in a full retirement limited to a 2-month offseason to “catch up” if I was in his shoes.

IIRC, a couple years ago WGR auditioned Dunleavy and Duff as future replacements, and the majority of this board Preferred Duff. I certainly find Duff more affable, his play by play cadence more flowing, and his emotion more natural and less stilted. But, it’s not my/our decision. There’s an elegance to a radio-only or dual-media broadcast which keeps the radio listeners with the flow as opposed to after-the-fact description.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
If him broadcasting has any negative effect on his health, I selfishly would not want him back. But we don’t know if that’s the case, and it’s also not even close to our call

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Hope he retires after this. Love RJ but want him around to call the Sabres cup winning goal. He should go recover with his family and come back from time to time to call special games, health permitting. Hes an NHL and Buffalo legend, but hes been doing this since the early 70's, time to worry about himself for awhile.

Reactions: Vito_81

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Also: the arena is possibly the best place to be if a situation like this happens again, because there are trained medical personnel and ambulances already on-site. It quite literally could be safer for him to be calling the game than sitting at home.

Reactions: Dingo44

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
That's... not how that works and probably not why. Sigh.

Glad Rick is "ok".

Had to bite my tongue when HIPPA was cited as well. Wish people wouldn't talk out their rear when trying to cover, and just say "We'll have an update when Rick and his family are ok with it."

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
How would you feel when you have a heart attacking and your employer says we don’t need you....

Actually, heart attack victims do have rights under the law. But most employers won't recognize them or feign ignorance. I know a little hit about this because my brother had a heart attack with 4 stents inserted and gave a medically necessary MD approved change of duties letter to his employer and was denied.

He should have gotten a lawyer but couldn't afford one. Nor could he afford to lose his job. (The main reason he didn't pursue it.)

He gets laid off as soon as the new store opens up. Three cheers for Dash's Market, eh??

There are a lot of scum bucket employers out there who will get away with this stuff if they can......

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
The average length of a hospital stay for a MI gets lower and lower every year, but I'd still be surprised to see a 76 year old with even a mild hear attack released in under 24 hours. Dehydration makes sense, as does a number of other things.

Just glad to see that RJ is feeling better and ready to return!

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Myocardial infarction? That’s what horse polo fans have. Hockey fans have heart attacks.

Note I am not inferring that’s what RJ had, I’m poking fun at the med term vs the vernacular.

Reactions: beerme1

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Not the biggest fan of his most recent game day costumes (Frankenstein :scared:) but honestly grateful he's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad