Rivalries

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Do you guys still consider us (the Sens) a rival?

I'm just curious because a lot of Sens fans don't consider you one, but they do Montreal. To me that makes no sense as we have never even played Montreal in the playoffs, but we have played you 4 times (not to mention two intense regular season games in the 07 brawl, and 97 game 82 playoff preview). I am just wondering if the majority of Sabres fans feel the same as me, or feel the sames as most Sens fans feel. (Although I will admit this is a very different rivalry than our Leafs one. You guys I want to see compete with us, the Leafs I just want to see fail).

Also, just out of curiosity, where would you rank us on your all time rivalry list? I imagine Boston is #1, but don't see any surefire 2nd.

goooal

May 3, 2009
Buffalo
Sens are probably the team I dislike the most. As ONG already postulated, this is likely the case only for rather young fans (Im 21).

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
For the newer fans the Sens would be a rivalry, but for me its always been Boston, Montreal, Philly as I've been a fan since the team's inception.

This. I kind of equate the Sabres vs. Sens to when the Whalers were in the Adams Division. Kind of a tepid rivalry. Got inflamed the one time with Peters trying to fight the goalie.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
In the post-lockout Drury/Briere years there was a good rivalry going on including some playoff battles. It's cooled off a bit the past few years, probably again due to the teams not meeting in the playoffs in a while.

I consider all of the divisional teams to be pretty strong rivals, but it's cyclical as to who the biggest ones are. Right now Boston is clearly the team Sabres fans hate the most in the division. We'lll always hate the Leafs because of how many of their fans come into our building and the great atmosphere that creates for those games.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
For the newer fans the Sens would be a rivalry, but for me its always been Boston, Montreal, Philly as I've been a fan since the team's inception.

Ditto.

When you have two teams battling like Ott-Sabs did for that four year period, it's intense but rivalry? Same division sure but really, I don't have those I'll feelings towards Ott. Or the respect I have for Montreal. Or the 90 minute drive to TO and their fan takeover at home games. Boston n Philly have always been heated battles with playoff series, goals through nets, fog games, Cup series, soo many fights, etc., totally different than having the good guy Alfie as your captain for 15 years.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Boston/Philly/Toronto are easily tops.

I don't like Ottawa, but that rivalry cooled off after a few years, likely because both teams didn't remain near the top of the division/conference for long.

It's funny, I don't really hate the Canadiens...their fans are a different story but the team itself I don't have the same hatred for as the aforementioned trio.

IMO Hurricanes are kinda like the Senators in terms of rivalry, but I think they hate us more because our fans invade their arena.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I don't like Ottawa, but that rivalry cooled off after a few years, likely because both teams didn't remain near the top of the division/conference for long.

It's funny, I don't really hate the Canadiens...their fans are a different story but the team itself I don't have the same hatred for as the aforementioned trio.

IMO Hurricanes are kinda like the Senators in terms of rivalry, but I think they hate us more because our fans invade their arena.

True -- in much the same way as dislike for the typical road Leaf fan makes the dislike for the fans so much easier than dislike for the team, Hab fans have often rubbed many the wrong way. Or Sabre road fans acting like A-holes in Caneville. :laugh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Boston and Philly are certainly the top two for me right now. I don't go to enough home games to build up a disdain for the Leafs organization and fanbase (though the trade board is getting me there :laugh: ). Toronto has been so bad for so long that it's tough to hate them too much, at least for me--plus, it's one of the few times that Sabres home games are enjoyable to watch on TV because you can hear actual noise in the arena. Regarding Ottawa, though I strongly dislike Neil and Spezza--because they're not on the Sabres, primarily--I've grown fond of Alfie over recent years, so it's difficult to build up the animosity when you respect the face of their organization--and the lack of meaningful games over recent years has lessened the rivalry, as well. Finally, with Montreal, I feel the Habs are so preoccupied with their rivalries with the Bruins and the other Canadian teams in the division that we're just kind of an afterthought for them. That cheapens the rivalry for me if you don't think the other team really views it as a big rivalry.

I'd probably throw the Canes in my top-3 right now. I don't think I'll ever get past 2005-06 when they took our Cup. And the crying their fanbase does over the purported conquering savages from Western New York is tired.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Boston and Philly are certainly the top two for me right now. I don't go to enough home games to build up a disdain for the Leafs organization and fanbase (though the trade board is getting me there :laugh: ). Toronto has been so bad for so long that it's tough to hate them too much, at least for me--plus, it's one of the few times that Sabres home games are enjoyable to watch on TV because you can hear actual noise in the arena. Regarding Ottawa, though I strongly dislike Neil and Spezza--because they're not on the Sabres, primarily--I've grown fond of Alfie over recent years, so it's difficult to build up the animosity when you respect the face of their organization--and the lack of meaningful games over recent years has lessened the rivalry, as well. Finally, with Montreal, I feel the Habs are so preoccupied with their rivalries with the Bruins and the other Canadian teams in the division that we're just kind of an afterthought for them. That cheapens the rivalry for me if you don't think the other team really views it as a big rivalry.

I'd probably throw the Canes in my top-3 right now. I don't think I'll ever get past 2005-06 when they took our Cup. And the crying their fanbase does over the purported conquering savages from Western New York is tired.

The Leafs recent doldrums do lessen the dislike a bit, but the fans... oh my. I used to loathe the Islanders, as a conference rival and perennial powerhouse should be viewed, but nearly 20 years of ineptitude has them shifted from loathing to pity. I actually want them to be better. I suppose, one day, if the Leafs stink long enough, I might even come around to them too.....

Nah. :biglaugh:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Agreed. Same here. And fan since '74-75.

**** Chris Neil.
Nah, ****ing's too good for him; he'd likely enjoy it.

But I don't have the consuming hatred for the Senators that I have for Boston, Philly, etc.
Agreed.

Philly hatred spans all generations of Sabres fans. **** Philly.
Amen. As long as they didn't go through BUF to do it, I'd be ok with PHI winning the Cup, as long as the fans would promise to burn the city afterwards.

This. With the Bruins proviso added making them a 1A/1B for me.
Amen!!

I just have so much respect for the late-70s Habs teams I grew up watching, with their mostly French-Canadian roster, beautiful sweaters, well-rounded teams, and elite skill. It's truly hard to dislike longevity, excellence, and class.

I can vouch for Sabres-'Canes crowds being 1/3-1/2 BUF fans.

The Leafs recent doldrums do lessen the dislike a bit, but the fans... oh my. I used to loathe the Islanders, as a conference rival and perennial powerhouse should be viewed, but nearly 20 years of ineptitude has them shifted from loathing to pity. I actually want them to be better. I suppose, one day, if the Leafs stink long enough, I might even come around to them too.....

I have a soft spot for the LEAFs. They're like the Buffalo Bills of the NHL.

Bosswally

Aug 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
ya it was so close to becoming a really good rivalry (i mean Adam Mair tried to charge into your guys' lockerroom) but then it cooled off when both teams regressed. Now you are probably down to a 2nd tier rival, with 1st tier being Toronto, Boston, and Philly and 2nd tier being the likes of Carolina and Montreal, and really the only reason Montreal is there is because we like the opportunity to say racist things about french people a few times a year

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

The Islanders were right up there in hatred with Philthy and Boston in the late 70's early 80s but then fizzled out. Though my hatred of Bossey, Trottier, Smith and Potvin will never abate.

I don't hate Montreal, but 40+ years of playing them with numerous playoff series between the two teams is a hell of a lot more significant rivalry than Ottawa will ever be.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Boston probably number 1 for most sabres fans, but for me its the leafs as I'm surrounded by leafs fans. 90% of people are leafs fans around where I live and it's extremely annoying if they win 3 games in a row they're planning the parade.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I liked the Sens rivalry because it was one where both teams mutually hated the other to the same degree. I really despise Boston and Philly but they have bigger rivalries than us and would probably consider Buffalo "2nd tier" in terms of rivals. Ottawa and Buffalo are the only non Original 6 teams in the division and came out of the lockout fast. Hopefully the same thing will happen this time.

Also, on a side note, as one of the Sabres fans who goes to every game Buffalo plays in Carolina since I live in Charlotte, I have to say that the Buffalo fans have become overly obnoxious in recent years. I don't get embarrassed by much and I can even justify the mob atmosphere after the Sabres lost to Carolina in 05-06 but it's gotten to the point where anyone in a Buffalo jersey at the arena spends more time lecturing the Carolina fans about how they are rednecks and hockey doesn't matter to them than they do actually watching the game. Sit the hell down and enjoy a hockey game, there is no reason to be a pious dick to everyone in the fan base. Hurricanes fans aren't miserable people like Philly or Boston fans. Hate the team but give the fans a break. It's not like any of the people in the Buffalo jerseys love their city so much that they chose to stay there. What we have here is a matter of transplants trying too hard to make up for the fact that they moved away by being dicks at Hurricanes games.

/rantover

Thundergrundle

Jan 9, 2013
Lancaster NY
Boston and Philly are more hated than cancer, the Sens always play tough, but there no real dislike, if I was driving and I saw a Bruin on the side of the road, I'd try to clip him with the mirror on general principle

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
We have not been relevent enough lately to be a recent rival of anyone.

As for a long standing rival based upon decades of history, I put the Bruins at number 1 and Flyers at number 2. My hate for the Bruins is based on the extensive history on the ice, those friggin fans, living in Boston for five years and marrying a New England girl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad