Rivalries

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
After giving this a little more thought, I can't stand the Pens or Rangers either. I might have more hate for the Altantic than the Northeast, at least over the past few seasons.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
IMHO, the order of hatred goes:

1. Montreal
2. Boston
3. Ottawa
4. Philly / Carolina
5. NJD
6. Toronto

If the Laffs had a better team over the years, I'd probably hate them.

Ottawa, even though we're 3-1 in the playoffs against them, has been a thorn for the last 3-4 years. Considering that Buffalo knocked them off their high horse in 05-06, and had the favour returned the next year... that's a rivalry in my mind.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I'm only 19, but my least favourite teams are Toronto and Boston definitely. I'm from Toronto so all I hear year-round is constant "Sabres suck man", "lol why would you cheer for a small-market team?". So I just hate the Leafs and their fanbase.

And I hate Boston for obvious reasons - next it's the Sens and Philly.

So to answer OP's question, I'd say our teams still have a fairly strong rivalry but no where near what it used to be.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I'm only 19, but my least favourite teams are Toronto and Boston definitely. I'm from Toronto so all I hear year-round is constant "Sabres suck man", "lol why would you cheer for a small-market team?". So I just hate the Leafs and their fanbase.

And I hate Boston for obvious reasons - next it's the Sens and Philly.

So to answer OP's question, I'd say our teams still have a fairly strong rivalry but no where near what it used to be.

Just ask your friends as I assume they're your age...Why would you cheer for a team that hasn't made the playoffs since you were barely out of diapers?

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Just ask your friends as I assume they're your age...Why would you cheer for a team that hasn't made the playoffs since you were barely out of diapers?

Haha yeah the last I time I saw a Leafs playoff game, I was 9 or 10. So I usually rub that in with my friends.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
The problem with the Sens as a rival is that Sens fans are some of the nicest and most cordial in the entire league. Philly fans are ********. That's much easier for a rivalry. Montreal and Toronto fans are annoying. Boston fans aren't bad, Jack Edwards is such a freak of a weasel though that he actually makes Boston a bigger rival for other teams than they really are, just because people associate him with the team. Carolina's not a real rivalry. Their fans just hate how many Sabres fans go to home games there, so i think for Sabres fans it's just become fun to mess with them.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
I still find Chris Neil a mega ****** if that's what you're asking?

But like everyone else I really ******* hate Philly. Don't like anything about it. Not the city, the people, or the Flyers.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Yeah, Philly and Boston, the rest are way behind.

Montreal in the days of the French Connection... but it was a gentleman's rivalry.
Sens in the late 90's and early 00's. Neil, Emery, Alfredson

Never minded the Leafs but I've haven't been in the bldg for a leafs game in decades.

I still hate Dallas.... and Brett Hull ... and Hitchcock

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
Boston and Philly are certainly the top two for me right now. I don't go to enough home games to build up a disdain for the Leafs organization and fanbase (though the trade board is getting me there :laugh: ). Toronto has been so bad for so long that it's tough to hate them too much, at least for me--plus, it's one of the few times that Sabres home games are enjoyable to watch on TV because you can hear actual noise in the arena. Regarding Ottawa, though I strongly dislike Neil and Spezza--because they're not on the Sabres, primarily--I've grown fond of Alfie over recent years, so it's difficult to build up the animosity when you respect the face of their organization--and the lack of meaningful games over recent years has lessened the rivalry, as well. Finally, with Montreal, I feel the Habs are so preoccupied with their rivalries with the Bruins and the other Canadian teams in the division that we're just kind of an afterthought for them. That cheapens the rivalry for me if you don't think the other team really views it as a big rivalry.

I'd probably throw the Canes in my top-3 right now. I don't think I'll ever get past 2005-06 when they took our Cup. And the crying their fanbase does over the purported conquering savages from Western New York is tired.

Same here, although I would rate Carolina maybe 2nd.. That year set the tone for the hatred and now that I live down here I hate them even more....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad