Speculation: Ristolainen Trade Discussion - The Return

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Columbus would be a possible match. They have Jones as the RD1 and Savard as the RD2 but he is nearing 30 and Risto would definitely be better suited on the second pairing.

Josh Anderson+ for Risto would be a good trade for both teams. He isn't a center but he is a good young top 6 RW which we need since we only have 1 good quality one in Reinhart. Bjorkstrand is probably who Columbus would rather move for Risto but I would want a much bigger add then if it was Anderson.

2020-2021 roster

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Olofsson-Mittelstadt-Anderson
Johansson-Cozens-Thompson
XXXXX-Asplund-ERod

Dahlin-Joker
Pilut-Montour
McCabe-Miller

Hutton
Ullmark

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
How about a trade/package of Risto for Yamamoto? Where would that value balance out on each side? Kailer listed as RW/LW. Doesn't solve the center issue, but this team needs dynamic scoring wingers.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How about a trade/package of Risto for Yamamoto? Where would that value balance out on each side? Kailer listed as RW/LW. Doesn't solve the center issue, but this team needs dynamic scoring wingers.

I read this post and then I read this article:

The Gifted: How Panthers prospect Aleksi Heponiemi built a...

Since the century turned, just six players have played an NHL game with a listed weight of 160 pounds or lighter.

Tyler Ennis, Brett Seney, Taro Hirose, Tomas Hyka, Kailer Yamamoto, Greg Leeb. That’s it. That’s the list.

Only Ennis has actually made an NHL career out of it (at least to date; the book is out on Hirose and Yamamoto). None of them have become stars (or project to become one). The lightest of the bunch, Yamamoto, is listed at 154 pounds and has struggled to bring the dominance he displayed at the junior level to the pros, with five points in 27 NHL games and 18 points in 27 AHL games.

If they want to get lotto tickets from Edmonton can we get Yamamoto and Pool Party for Risto?

That way, maybe they get one decent forward out of the deal.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I think Roslovic is the FAR better 'lotto ticket' along with WPG being the better fit than EDM as far as trade partners go. Not sure why so many don't like the kid, performed pretty well in limited minutes and has more growth to come. I don't think I'd mind him in a return if we insist on moving Risto. Per TheAthletic "He generated OZ passes and assists at an elite rate last season, which could lead to some big-time production in 2019-20 if he plays with some better finishers. "

I know many are focused on the shorterm 2c i.e. This Season, but big picture view he could be a very nice piece for Risto, he'd at least be another C/RW option to add to the mix this season, he's only going to improve in my eyes..

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I read this post and then I read this article:

The Gifted: How Panthers prospect Aleksi Heponiemi built a...

If they want to get lotto tickets from Edmonton can we get Yamamoto and Pool Party for Risto?

That way, maybe they get one decent forward out of the deal.

So you don't like Yamamoto, understood. I do like the player, but haven't kept up with his development. Sounds like he had a wrist injury to close out last season and now he has a Summer to put on weight if that's where his development is taking him.

Of course, the NHL is changing and small forwards are in vogue, so basing opinion of player size/weight on historical trends may not be a good way to understand how GMs are evaluating talent.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So you don't like Yamamoto, understood. I do like the player, but haven't kept up with his development. Sounds like he had a wrist injury to close out last season and now he has a Summer to put on weight if that's where his development is taking him.

Of course, the NHL is changing and small forwards are in vogue, so basing opinion of player size/weight on historical trends may not be a good way to understand how GMs are evaluating talent.

I am saying that both Yamamoto and Poll Party are lotto tickets at this point in time.

I would prefer that if the Sabres aren't getting a proven top 6 forward for Risto, then I would hope that they get more than just one lotto ticket like Yamamoto or Pool Party.

It is too early to tell with Yamamoto. He only played 44 games between the NHL and the AHL in his rookie pro season.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I am saying that both Yamamoto and Poll Party are lotto tickets at this point in time.

I would prefer that if the Sabres aren't getting a proven top 6 forward for Risto, then I would hope that they get more than just one lotto ticket like Yamamoto or Pool Party.

It is too early to tell with Yamamoto. He only played 44 games between the NHL and the AHL in his rookie pro season.

Ah, I see. So Yamamoto plus their first rounder? I don't know what a poll party is, but love a pool party.

I don't see a fit with EDM cap issues, TBH. They'll want cap-in/cap-out and the Sabres are set up beautifully next year - don't spoil that unless you are getting a top-end talent in return for the cap dump.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ah, I see. So Yamamoto plus their first rounder? I don't know what a poll party is, but love a pool party.

I don't see a fit with EDM cap issues, TBH. They'll want cap-in/cap-out and the Sabres are set up beautifully next year - don't spoil that unless you are getting a top-end talent in return for the cap dump.

Pool Party = Jesse Puljujärvi

And I think most teams will want to send back a contract in a Risto trade at this point in the off season.

That's why I believe that Risto not getting moved until the TDL is a real possibility.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Pool Party = Jesse Puljujärvi

And I think most teams will want to send back a contract in a Risto trade at this point in the off season.

That's why I believe that Risto not getting moved until the TDL is a real possibility.
Pulj party... ok.

I don't see a rush either, though if you hang onto him that long, he could prove to be worth his contract value to just keep him. I'm thinking Pilut/Bogo return off of IR as the max timeline.

That said, on the cap return, I wonder how many of these teams that are up against the cap are in the same situation Botterill is in where the can send NHLers to the AHL and/or move some tradable players out that are extra pieces (like some of the Sabres depth D).

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Columbus would be a possible match. They have Jones as the RD1 and Savard as the RD2 but he is nearing 30 and Risto would definitely be better suited on the second pairing.

Josh Anderson+ for Risto would be a good trade for both teams. He isn't a center but he is a good young top 6 RW which we need since we only have 1 good quality one in Reinhart. Bjorkstrand is probably who Columbus would rather move for Risto but I would want a much bigger add then if it was Anderson.

2020-2021 roster

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Olofsson-Mittelstadt-Anderson
Johansson-Cozens-Thompson
XXXXX-Asplund-ERod

Dahlin-Joker
Pilut-Montour
McCabe-Miller

Hutton
Ullmark
they're not trading anderson

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Yeah, if teams pay for and covet 5-on-5 goal scorers like they seem to (or say, pay $9M AAV for), Yzerman isn’t giving up his best one for a redundant RHD.
Stevie Y does seem to march to the beat of his own drum (Seider). Maybe he believes Risto is a #1 pairing guy in need of a change of scenery.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Stevie Y does seem to march to the beat of his own drum (Seider). Maybe he believes Risto is a #1 pairing guy in need of a change of scenery.

Maybe. I suspect he knows who his 5-on-5 goal scorers are and he’s not going to put his top one out there for a position he already has covered by Green (PP QB).

Reactions: Baccus and Tatanka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad