TSN: Rishaug: Kane and Oilers were short term, Kane not interested in committing to Edmonton long term.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
As per TSN hit with TSN Edmonton reporter Ryan Rishaug.

He expressed that the feeling or word in the organization is that Kane has expressed he has no intentions of re-signing or committing to Edmonton long term this off-season.

Further evident is the "Thank you Edmonton" post Kane made on Social media this morning

Looks like it was a calculated business for Kane and that he knew Mcdavid and co can inflate his stats. It really looked like he had some chemistry with Mcdaivd tho, its not easy to play with Mcdavid as he moves and thinks the game at a genuis speed, theres been many failed wingers. Kane seemed like a perfect fit.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
His best bet would be to take a modest contract in Edmonton and behave himself. I can't imagine a much better deal than merely getting a team to sign you at the moment. Especially while the rest of his crap plays out.

That's even IF he can resign with anyone. He may be "back" in SJ before too long. Then it's "who will take him at $X.X for 3yrs".

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
His best bet would be to take a modest contract in Edmonton and behave himself. I can't imagine a much better deal than merely getting a team to sign you at the moment. Especially while the rest of his crap plays out.

That's even IF he can resign with anyone. He may be "back" in SJ before too long. Then it's "who will take him at $X.X for 3yrs".

He isnt signing with anyone for shorter than 3 years. He wants/needs security.

The funny thing is, Edmonton is probably one of the most likely teams to give him a 3 yrs or longer contract but it sounds like Kane doesnt want to be in Edmonton for the long of a time.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He isnt signing with anyone for shorter than 3 years. He wants/needs security.

The funny thing is, Edmonton is probably one of the most likely teams to give him a 3 yrs or longer contract but it sounds like Kane doesnt want to be in Edmonton for the long of a time.
After his strong showing in Edmonton, others will probably be willing to pay him more than Edmonton can afford to pay him.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
After his strong showing in Edmonton, others will probably be willing to pay him more than Edmonton can afford to pay him.

Not sold on that, teams know his locker-room history, they also know they dont have a Mcdavid to get that kind of production from EK. I dont think 3 months of good behavior will wipe out a serial history of negative actions by EK which is why its really odd that Kane has already erased Edmonton from contention for his services.

Maybe youre right, and his camp and agent know that there will be a market for him

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Clear he doesn’t want to be in Canada, and some team will sign him for those inflated stats and suffer in a few years for it. This should be good news for Edmonton fans

yes and no good news...

yes because Kane has a history, but no because he was scoring at a 45 goal pace with Mcdavid.

I think Kane will sign with a team long term around 3 yrs but it wont be close to 7 mil a year...it will be like 4.75mil

Now, I know he is very good player but why on earth would any team commit more than 3 years to this guy? Do they really want to risk another SJ situation where he misbehaves and they have a whole mess on their hands? Simply put, it doesn’t make sense to make a long term commitment to Kane.

Thats sports for you, teams will always prioritize talent and skill above anything else.

Deshaun Watson has like 25 women with lawsuits against him for sexual assault and he just signed a 250 mil contract.

Sports in a nutshell

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He won't commit to anyone long term while he may be a UFA after his arbitration decision comes down. Everyone knew this, just as everyone knew that Edmonton was a showcase for his next contract. He showed well. A couple of things to keep in mind.
1) Kane has said that Edmonton was the best organization he has played for.
2) Holland said to the media that he would be comfortable signing Kane to a 2-3 year deal.
3) Kane wants to get paid, the guy is in his prime, with more of his career behind him than in front, and he has a family to care for.

He wants the most money he can get on his next deal I'm sure, so he's posturing. Even if he does want to be in Edmonton, if it slips to the media that he doesn't want to, then Holland knows he isn't taking a discount to play with McDavid like many Oilers fans think. It lets them know to not low ball him.

Given how often he is in the news, and the decisions he has made in the past, I wouldn't blame him for wanting to play in a market where hockey slides under the radar.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He won't commit to anyone long term while he may be a UFA after his arbitration decision comes down. Everyone knew this, just as everyone knew that Edmonton was a showcase for his next contract. He showed well. A couple of things to keep in mind.
1) Kane has said that Edmonton was the best organization he has played for.
2) Holland said to the media that he would be comfortable signing Kane to a 2-3 year deal.
3) Kane wants to get paid, the guy is in his prime, with more of his career behind him than in front, and he has a family to care for.

He wants the most money he can get on his next deal I'm sure, so he's posturing. Even if he does want to be in Edmonton, if it slips to the media that he doesn't want to, then Holland knows he isn't taking a discount to play with McDavid like many Oilers fans think. It lets them know to not low ball him.

Given how often he is in the news, and the decisions he has made in the past, I wouldn't blame him for wanting to play in a market where hockey slides under the radar.

Kane is all about Kane.

I'm sorry but he isnt signing in Edmonton. He loves the lights of Vegas or the prestige of California, New York. Dude grew up in Vancouver. Edmonton is just not his cup of tea. He didnt grow up in a small town Canada where he would likely have more appreciation for what Edmonton and prairie Alberta can offer.

A big city team will offer him 3 years at at least 5mil per year.

his bag is packed already imo.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
There's no chance he gets a long term contract, anywhere in this league. He better get used to the short 1 or 2 year contracts.

Reactions: Devonator

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He's going to Vancouver obviously.

Would be so torn about that decision..

We have a young impressionable core and a big chance the alpha locker room leader JT Miller is gone this summer.

but then again Kane is the type , big, fast, gritty that Rutherford has expressed he wants to build the Van roster out of.

It doesnt sound soo crazy if they trade miller, get massive assets, and replace his cap space with Kane.

I'd be very nervous and pray that him being in his hometown will have a positive influence on him if he was surrounded by family.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Kane is all about Kane.

I'm sorry but he isnt signing in Edmonton. He loves the lights of Vegas or the prestige of California, New York. Dude grew up in Vancouver. Edmonton is just not his cup of tea. He didnt grow up in a small town Canada where he would likely have more appreciation for what Edmonton and prairie Alberta can offer.

A big city team will offer him 3 years at at least 5mil per year.

his bag is packed already imo.
The guy is going to sign with whatever team gives him the biggest contract. That won't be Edmonton, so I suspect you are very correct.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
There's no chance he gets a long term contract, anywhere in this league. He better get used to the short 1 or 2 year contracts.

Sorry but thats just true, especially with how effective Kane was.

I'm not saying he will get a 6-7 yr contract but i think he will definitely get 3-4 years.

hell, i think there would be teams willing to trade for his 3 yrs, 7mil aav contract with San Jose if it goes in that direction. ( sj will have to retain a bit)

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
The guy is going to sign with whatever team gives him the biggest contract. That won't be Edmonton, so I suspect you are very correct.

I think Holland and Edmonton love Kane, Mcdavid has come out and said it multiple times this season.

I think Kane will get an offer from Edmonton. 3 yrs , 5.5 mil kinda thing...

Edmonton will move guys like Barrie and Puljujarvi to try and make it happen.

I just dont think Kane chooses Edmonton despite that offer.

He will go to LA, or NYI or Florida team...something like that. big city.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Edm is a great fit, but like other Canadian markets, it's a media fishbowl and I'm sure he wants to be under the radar with his salacious past - A big US market. that's the vibe he gives off anyway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad