Speculation: Rishaug: Edmonton to make a push for Ristolainen; Klefbom and the 10OA could be in play

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I think a lot of people will be surprised by Dahlin’s positive effect on Ristolainen. He’s not a number one defenseman, but has been forced into that role with very little help. In a few years, Dahlin allow Risto to be used in an offensive role, instead of 27 minute shut down role he’s not capable of handeling.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Can't blame Edmonton fans for believing/hoping Klefbom will bounce back, but, as a Buffalo fan, that kind of history scares me. The Sabres are perennially near the top of the man-games lost to injury list already. A big part of why Buffalo hasn't gotten any better isn't just that our starting roster isn't good enough; it's also that we almost never actually get to play our starting roster. Risto rarely misses time even though he plays nearly half of every game and plays with a physical edge. That trait is valuable. He's also been our only blue-liner capable of doing anything offensively, and he's consistently been a 40+ point player over the last 3 seasons despite the team being among the lowest scoring in the NHL, and despite being leaned on for tough minutes. Again, valuable. And then you look at the depth on our blue line behind him... Even trading Risto for a downgrade + other assets would hurt. Trading him for pure futures just can't happen.

I can understand why Buffalo would not make this trade given the depth on the right side of the defense. And if Dahlin can play as an RHD, then that allows Risto to play on the second pairing as ES which in my mind is a far better role for him. I also understand why an injury history would make people nervous. But in general the "injury prone argument" is in reality more of a myth. The vast majority of NHL injuries are one-of's that could happen to almost any player at any time. This means that some players can have a string of injuries and then be healthy for years. For others they can look like ironmen and have a major injury out of the blue. There is really nothing in Klefbom's history that makes the actual likelihood of him being injured going forward any greater than it would be for Risto. None of his previous injuries should result in chronic problems or put him at high risk of re-injury. In fact, if anything Risto plays a style that might make him more susceptible to injury in the future than Klefbom.

From the Oiler's perspective having Risto on the pp would absolutely help. But perhaps not as much as many think. The Oilers pp was awful this year with only 31 goals. However, the pp the year before had 56 even though it revolved around trying to feed Letestu the puck for a one timer. Moving Nuge onto the first unit made a big difference in how the pp was executed. It was far less static which is a very good sign. Even without any real change of personnel it is reasonable to think that with the coaching change the Oilers pp with McDavid, Nuge, Draisaitl, Klefbom could be at least middle of the road which this year would have been 52-53 goals. Adding Risto might at best add 10 goals which would put the Oilers around where the Jets were. But Risto does not add a lot offensively at ES. His ppg humbers are actually just slightly less than Klefbom's over the last 3 years and are not so different from Nurse or even Larsson. On the Oilers he would probably get a lot fewer minutes as well since he'd probably play behind Larsson on the secnd pairing. All three of Larsson, Nurse and when healthy Klefbom are better defensively. So at ES if the Oilers swap out Klefbom for Risto it's not clear that the overall defense is better at ES which is where most of the game is played. They may be worse.

So I don't think it makes any sense for the Oilers to add the #10 to Kelfbom to get Risto. There are probably other players who they could get who might not be as good as Rosto but who would be much cheaper in terms of assets while still addressing the need for the RHD on the pp. In fact they may even have that solution in the system right now in Bear so they could even look at a more temporary solution like Green.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Fortunately the more reliable source is hinting that Chia will finally be smart this summer!

Usually Stauffer is the one throwing out ridiculousness.

I think smaller gambles like Persson is the way to go, personally. Particularly with another expansion draft coming. Whoever we grab at 10 will be expansion exempt and we can ask both Sekera and Russell for a list of teams they’d go to this offseason.

If we can convince Lucic he’s allergic to his helmet we’re in business.

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
And this sentiment being out there is the reason that as a Buffalo fan I want him traded. He is not a complete stud, he is one of the least intelligent players in the game. When he came into the league he would at least hit and agitate, he doesn’t do that anymore either. If his value is inflated I’d love to see Botts trade him.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
There have only been 2 good players picked in the last 10 years at 10OA.
Risto>Bogosian 2.0

Not trading the superior defenseman (and our only RHD) for some magic beans.

Hrmm, the last three years alone look pretty damn impressive.

2017 - Tippet - too early to tell, but looks solid
2016 - Jost - would love to have him on my team (I'd take him and Klef over Risto)
2015 - Rantannen - guy is awesome (I'd take him and Klef over Risto)

Certainly some risk with a draft pick. You could land a Tarasenko player (17th in his year) or flub your pick altogether. For a rebuilding team that knows they are about to get their franchise dman in this draft, pickup up Klefbom (who had significant value until his shoulder injury) and the 10th overall pick might be decent.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Gross.. Buffalo wouldnt ever do that.

Risto and Dahlin for many years is a dream scenerio

Alot of people forget Sabres also have Guhle. He is an extremely good player and will be a stud for many years... IMO there is zero reason for Buffalo to want or need Klef

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I'd rather see the Oilers go after someone like Faulk with the #10 pick and hold onto Klefbom.
I agree. I am not the biggest fan of Klefbom, but I would rather the Oilers keep the main guys they have and use assets like the 10th pick to add to the team. If anything they should do a deal like that and maybe find a way to deal someone like Russell or Sekera instead of Klefbom.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Oilers only scored 13 less goals than the 16-17 season.

Its not just points. In 16-17, Edmonton had control of the puck more, played in the offensive zone more often, and had less turnovers. The offence all around was much better, the team played much better, and took pressure of,the defence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad