Speculation: Rishaug: Edmonton to make a push for Ristolainen; Klefbom and the 10OA could be in play

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I know we're talking about Chiarelli but Buffalo would have to add something - did Nick Baptiste play on a line with McDavid in Erie?

Reactions: Dan Kelly

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ugh. Please no, that’s entirely too much. Risto Is a right handed Gardiner that routinely gets caved in his own zone.

Not that he’s ever had much help but with Klefbom gone all that’s left on the left side is Nurse, a broken Sekera, and Kris Russell.

Klef’s deal alone gives him plenty of value. Adding 10th would be... well. Pretty much par for the goddamn course for Chia.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I know we're talking about Chiarelli but Buffalo would have to add something - did Nick Baptiste play on a line with McDavid in Erie?
I'm not adding anything in this deal. I wouldn't want it to begin with. Once risto'd minutes get scaled back and he' deployed properly, and lastly this team builds depth that can score he's gonna put up points annually to go along with his mean streak. This is not the ideal time to sell off Ristolainen

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny

He hasn't proven to be more then a bottom six speed winger in the NHL. If I was Edmonton, I'd ask for Buffalo to add Nylander, and if I was Buffalo I'd consider the possibility.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Ugh. Please no, that’s entirely too much. Risto Is a right handed Gardiner that routinely gets caved in his own zone.

Not that he’s ever had much help but with Klefbom gone all that’s left on the left side is Nurse, a broken Sekera, and Kris Russell.

Klef’s deal alone gives him plenty of value. Adding 10th would be... well. Pretty much par for the goddamn course for Chia.

Bah, let's take a chance on RR. we weren't winning anyways with Klefbom and it fills a large position of need on RD for a big, mobile point producer. That's the way I see it anyway.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Why would Buffalo deal a RD for a LD? They have Dahlin coming in, besides Pilut who is a very capable D. Both LDs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I guess the only potential positive is that we wouldn’t need Risto to play top minutes as he’d slot in behind Larsson, who’d take the shutdown role and primarily play top comps.

If they do this I’d imagine they’d be looking at something like

Nurse-Larsson - shutdown
Sekera-Risto - offensive zonestarts
Russell-Benning - whatever is left

God that’s a massive gamble, asking Nurse to take another leap forward and hoping like hell Sekera bounces back.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Why would Buffalo deal a RD for a LD? They have Dahlin coming in, besides Pilut who is a very capable D. Both LDs.
Dahlin does (or can) play on the right, doesn't he?

Still, that leaves Bogosian as the top RD for at least next year, doesn't it? Unless they're gonna chuck Dahlin straight into the fire.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Bah, let's take a chance on RR. we weren't winning anyways with Klefbom and it fills a large position of need on RD for a big, mobile point producer. That's the way I see it anyway.

We had a 100 point season with Klefbom as our best defenceman. This is the dictionary definition of selling low on him.

There’d need to be another sizeable piece coming back and it looks like Sabre fans would only do this if it’s a monster overpayment.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Dahlin does (or can) play on the right, doesn't he?

Still, that leaves Bogosian as the top RD for at least next year, doesn't it? Unless they're gonna chuck Dahlin straight into the fire.

No lol, is there a single D in the NHL that can play for any prolonged period of time on the wrong side? Its often tried but the result is always the same, a disaster...

It worked in 1995 but the game is way to fast now.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Nope. I want Risto, he actually fits exactly what this team needs but Klefbom will bounce back next year and be as valuable if not more than Risto.

If it were 10+yams/poolparty

Id be fine with it.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
No lol, is there a single D in the NHL that can play for any prolonged period of time on the wrong side? Its often tried but the result is always the same, a disaster...

It worked in 1995 but the game is way to fast now.
Keith and Brodie play noticeably better on their off sides.

Reactions: kevrondl

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Brodin spent all of his time with Suter on the right side. I think Hjalmarsson spent a fair amount of time there in Chicago. There are probably others.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Brodin spent all of his time with Suter on the right side. I think Hjalmarsson spent a fair amount of time there in Chicago. There are probably others.

Great example, this is what Suter thought of it:
"
The biggest change appears to be one that will now have Ryan Suter skate on the same defense pairing as Jonas Brodin.
One person that was not a fan of that decision: Ryan Suter.
The biggest problem Suter has is the fact that both he and Brodin are left-handed shots, which forces one of them to play on their offside and limits their options with the puck. Suter was brutally honest about it on Monday.
"I guess they decided to change things up. I don't know what they're thinking," Suter said. "It's different, I need to play with a right-handed defensemen to give me more options in the neutral zone, offensively and even coming out of the D zone. It's not fair to put a guy on his offside. I don't know if it's just for practice today or what it is, they didn't say anything."
"

Wild D Ryan Suter questions coach for pairing him with Jonas Brodin
;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad