RISERS and FALLERS off World U-18 play?

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
Biggest riser is obviously Nikita Kucherov. After that, you're looking at JT Miller, Joel Armia, Reid Boucher, Albert Yarullin and probably Robbie Russo. John Gibson isn't hurting himself either.

Biggest faller is probably Tyler Biggs, but only because people were hoping to see him show some offense, but he hasn't really gotten it done this tournament.

While neither rising nor falling, Rocco Grimaldi is showing yet again that he has the offense and the drive to succeed. I expect him to be picked in the mid-to-late 1st.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Are these games being broadcast anywhere?

What's up with Galchenyuk, he's not in the tournament right? Did Russia ask him to play? I know he wasn't accepted for Team USA.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Are these games being broadcast anywhere?

What's up with Galchenyuk, he's not in the tournament right? Did Russia ask him to play? I know he wasn't accepted for Team USA.

He wants to play for USA, but I believe that US Hockey team they brings over is their National Development team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He wants to play for USA, but I believe that US Hockey team they brings over is their National Development team.

As a general rule, the U.S. takes over members of the USNTDP for this tournament which is one of the reasons Galchenyuk wasn't included. Russia didn't appear to ask him either, even with the inclusion of Yakupov (his Sarnia linemate) on the team. A significant clue as to whether Galchenyuk is indeed in USA Hockey's plans is if he makes the Summer WJC Eval Camp Roster this Summer.

birddog*

From 15-40 this draft is the biggest crapshoot I can remember. Guys slide up from 15-30th with regularity.

There seems to be no consensus as to who will go where in this range. I expect some teams with better scouting to make out like bandits here.

pouskin74*

we still have only one publication about his plans about international future, so wouldnt say its clear already.

Canuck71*

we still have only one publication about his plans about international future, so wouldnt say its clear already.

From the few rumours I have heard around Sarnia lately I believe he will be in a USA uniform next season in the big tournaments.

Coachsy

Apr 12, 2011
The Soo
Cant help but think Nick Cousins hasnt moved up on quite a few teams lists with his performance so far.

He had another two assists today although they didn't award him one on the tying goal to send it to overtime. That pass to Murray showed what kind of vision he possesses and also the confidence a patience to make a play like that. Should be picked up in the 2nd round. If not it is his size and skating holding him back.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Oscar Klefbom really looked good. Same with Boucher and Miller. Grimaldi has all world skill but does not use his teammates enough. Note these are my impressions on just a couple games I saw.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Can anyone give a first-hand report of Joel Armia? Statistically, he's having a great tournament.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
From 15-40 this draft is the biggest crapshoot I can remember. Guys slide up from 15-30th with regularity.

There seems to be no consensus as to who will go where in this range. I expect some teams with better scouting to make out like bandits here.

I've been thinking this as well.

I think there's a lot of "hidden" talent, lots of it not in the CHL.

bretzky29ca*

J.T Miller (U.S.A) has showed very well in this tournament, has me drawing comparisons to Phil Kessel for him. Can definitily see him moving into the top 15 now.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That's how I see it too. McNeill has played solid two-way hockey and played big in the corners...nothing fancy, hasn't wowed too many people, but it hasn't hurt him, I don't think. Whereas Scheifele has stepped it up and shown some real offensive flair. I think he goes higher as a result of the tourney, possibly 10-15.

I don't think McNeil has dropped because of this tournament, but it sounds like his rise up the draft boards may have halted. He is a kid who people were saying was flying up the draft boards and could potentially sneak into the top 10. And it sounds like this tournament may have been enough to stop that rise. He'll still be a top 20 pick, and maybe even right around 15, but I think top 10 is out of the question now

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2011-04-23-red-line-draft_N.htm

And we'll follow that with a more general observation: at Red Line, we think any team can get pretty much the same player picking at No. 50 this year that they could get picking at No. 20. There's not much difference from top to botom in that group of 30.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Im shocked that Canada can't bring a better goalie than subban...what's up with that?
it was said that in this age group this is the worst crop of goaltending prospects that Canada has ever had.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
I don't think McNeil has dropped because of this tournament, but it sounds like his rise up the draft boards may have halted. He is a kid who people were saying was flying up the draft boards and could potentially sneak into the top 10. And it sounds like this tournament may have been enough to stop that rise. He'll still be a top 20 pick, and maybe even right around 15, but I think top 10 is out of the question now

this could be a very wild draft day. there are about 20 guys that have been talked about as being 10-20 picks with several players rising and nobody rally falling

Coachsy

Apr 12, 2011
The Soo
it was said that in this age group this is the worst crop of goaltending prospects that Canada has ever had.

Canada's goaltending cost them a chance to play for the gold medal. Subban played terrible vs the Americans. I think after Ryan Murphy's performance at this tournament he may go top 5. Catenacci may be a faller after this tournament. Didn't see much ice and didn't take advantage of the time he had. Brassard was a much similar case although not as highly ranked. Also, Quine and Cousins both had great tournaments and will most likely see their stock rise.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009

All the small teams always seem to be overlooked, but they weren't televised as much too. Norway got relegated, but Søberg was probably the tournaments best goaltender. I guess they couldn't give it to a goaltender on a relegated team (4 "players of the game" awards, second best save percentage on the second weakest/weakest team in the tournament). I wish he would get some more recognition.

JT Miller made a clear statement of being a 1st round pick this summer, if he wasn't considered one before the tournament started. Armia also had a solid tournament. And Kucherov.. wow, but his size and "the russian factor" will still hurt him big time.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Having attended most of Team Canada's games, I'd have to say that Cousins' stock has risen while McNeil's stock has dropped. He was often quite invisible and the coaching staff tended to go with other guys when the going got rough. I think they expected more from him. Cousins on the other hand had a lot of important goals and worked well with Scheifele, who definitely solidified his draft position. Ritchie wasn't bad, especially in his role. There's some real Ryan Malone in his game. He was a pain in the behind, especially after the whistle blew. Quine kind of woke up for the last three games.

As for others, Brodin looked VERY strong. He and Klefbom made a real nice pair - perhaps the best blueline tandem in the tourney. Victor Rask also showed a nice and varied set of skills. He needs a bit more bite, because the puck-carrying and skating are there.

Despite some points, Armia was often underwhelming. Perhonen has surely seen his stature dented. He was not particularly good at times. He may have the goods from a technical standpoint, but I just don't think the scouts were elated by a number of goals he ultimately allowed. Guys like Salomaki and Auvinen had been rising entering the tourney, but a few other Fins had better tournaments than they did.

Surely some of the Germans and maybe a Swiss player or two have gotten some attention and might be taken at some point although they maybe hadn't been ranked beforehand.

As others have said, Steffen Soberg faced gobs of shots and was clearly Norway's best player. That's not to say that some of the goals against weren't stoppable. He didn't necessarily stop everything he should have, but when you see that much rubber... His team was regularly outshot in the 50-15 range. Finland beat him 5-2 (with the fifth goal coming on a 5-on-3 in the last second) and was only down to Sweden 4-1 when the back-up was put in. The 3-2 against the Czechs and the 6-2 win against the Slovaks would not have been possible without him. Also, holding Canada to a 5-0 win was actually quite respectable when you look at how much more dominating the Canadian skaters were.

I suspect that a number of Swedes will be taken in mid to late rounds. They had a lot of solid players.

Hard to say with the gold medal winning team USA. There wasn't a lot of size or outright speed. Grimaldi was the motor on the team. Most everyone else was simply an efficient worker and more or less filled his respective role. Gibson was technically strong, but didn't dominate by any means. TJ Miller was the top point getter and generally a smart guy who made things happen. Gord Murphy's son scored two goals in the gold medal game, so he may see his stock rise.

Kucherov lifted eyebrows and will be taken. Don't know how high since that has to do with the uncertainty about when or if he'd ever come over, but for sure, he looks like a first round talent. He's definitely on everyone's radar at this point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad