RISERS and FALLERS off World U-18 play?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Biggest Faller? Probably SAMHU PERHONEN --lousey save % --doesn't look like the #1 eurogoalie and first goalie selection possibility he was before this tournamenytt started...

NOW maybe no goalies go in round one--except --maybe the "wildcard" ---MAGNUS HELLBERG who will be 20 years old at the draft and probably most "ready" to compete for an NHL job--though he probably plays 1 more year in Europe before coming over..He now looks like the real #1 eurogoalie (should have been ranked that) and the best NHL draft-eligible goaie for this draft...so maybe he willbe the only goalie going in round one now..

Another FALLER? MARK MCNEILL--Team Canada--wheres his scoring? He doesn't look like a mid-first given his poor offensive performance (so far) in the tournament.

RISERS? WEll IF Brodin is #4 euroskater --Klefbom at #8 euroskater (Central Scouting) looks right up there with him if not higher.....Both could be about mid-first...

JEREMY BOYCE ROTEVALL(LW) --- Central Scouting has him only at #14 euroskater--but he looks like a teens worthy draft pick --consdering his late (Aug) birthdate -the best is yet to come -looks very promising...Could be a bi riser at the draft..

MARK SCHEIFELE (C)--- cements his place ahead of MCNEILL now --and could go 11-15 range ...

FYI: MIKA ZIBANEJAD --putting up the points--BUT: interesting that he is playing LW --not centre for Sweden.... He is also supposed to be good at face-offs but is only 15-12 in the dot so far....So the question is--does he project as an NHL lW or Centre?

The Sweden-Canada game was the first time I have seen him play...He looks dangerous down low and on the wall play and in the strength game taking it to the net --power forward--BUT I did not see anything but very average skating from him
--SCHEIFELE looks like a lot better skater --so maybe ZIBANEJAD doesn't have the speed to play centre at the net level? Still he probably goes 9-11 in the draft.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think Robbie Russo has built his stock back up a bit. Not sure if he's a first round selection, but definately top half of the second round.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Biggest Faller? Probably SAMHU PERHONEN --lousey save % --doesn't look like the #1 eurogoalie and first goalie selection possibility he was before this tournamenytt started...

NOW maybe no goalies go in round one--except --maybe the "wildcard" ---MAGNUS HELLBERG who will be 20 years old at the draft and probably most "ready" to compete for an NHL job--though he probably plays 1 more year in Europe before coming over..He now looks like the real #1 eurogoalie (should have been ranked that) and the best NHL draft-eligible goaie for this draft...so maybe he willbe the only goalie going in round one now..

Another FALLER? MARK MCNEILL--Team Canada--wheres his scoring? He doesn't look like a mid-first given his poor offensive performance (so far) in the tournament.

RISERS? WEll IF Brodin is #4 euroskater --Klefbom at #8 euroskater (Central Scouting) looks right up there with him if not higher.....Both could be about mid-first...

JEREMY BOYCE ROTEVALL(LW) --- Central Scouting has him only at #14 euroskater--but he looks like a teens worthy draft pick --consdering his late (Aug) birthdate -the best is yet to come -looks very promising...Could be a bi riser at the draft..

MARK SCHEIFELE (C)--- cements his place ahead of MCNEILL now --and could go 11-15 range ...

FYI: MIKA ZIBANEJAD --putting up the points--BUT: interesting that he is playing LW --not centre for Sweden.... He is also supposed to be good at face-offs but is only 15-12 in the dot so far....So the question is--does he project as an NHL lW or Centre?

The Sweden-Canada game was the first time I have seen him play...He looks dangerous down low and on the wall play and in the strength game taking it to the net --power forward--BUT I did not see anything but very average skating from him
--SCHEIFELE looks like a lot better skater --so maybe ZIBANEJAD doesn't have the speed to play centre at the net level? Still he probably goes 9-11 in the draft.

Unreal !
Watch a game or 2.

He has been one of Canada's best forwards thus far......4 points in 4 games....

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
I saw murphy's highlight reel goal...damn that was sexy haha, and I noticed he really is an elite skater. maybe the islanders take him 5th and streit teaches him to play top pairing min at the nhl level? Who knows. Also I was reading the U18 forum and some people were saying armia is a great passer and has hockey sense(they doubted it before today). wouldn't be surprised if he is picked at around 10(wild)

Last edited:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Malcolm Subban has let a few weak ones in over the last few games...but he is an underager and his defense has not been steller. Murphy had that unreal highlight goal but has been quiet other than that.

arsmaster*

Cant help but think Nick Cousins hasnt moved up on quite a few teams lists with his performance so far.

pouskin74*

if scouts from NA dosnt open theyr eyes and still ignore Kucherov then i just dont know what to say.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've heard the EXACT opposite about McNeill. Go watch a game and quit posting until you do.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Not sure why McNeill is being seen as under-performing, but he seemed ok to me against Sweden and Germany.

Sure, he maybe should've buried the pass from Murray against Germany, but he's been using his size pretty effectively to protect his position and make plays.

Scheifele's looked better this tourney, but McNeill hasn't hurt his draft position, imo.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think Rask has showed why he was slotted as a mid first-rounder before the season started. These last two games could be huge for his draft position.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Steffen Søberg. He has played outstanding. I wasn't sure if someone would take a chance on him, but after this tournament someone should defiantly take a chance on him.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Not sure why McNeill is being seen as under-performing, but he seemed ok to me against Sweden and Germany.

Sure, he maybe should've buried the pass from Murray against Germany, but he's been using his size pretty effectively to protect his position and make plays.

Scheifele's looked better this tourney, but McNeill hasn't hurt his draft position, imo.

Exactly, Scheifele has shown that he could be possibly be a big no 1 center - 6'3 with explosiveness and high-end skills - therefore, has likely elevated himself above McNeill.

McNeill has not been underforming, however, McNeill has been McNeill, the player who works had but does not have elite offensive skills - likely a 2nd line center but a 2nd line center you would want on your team.

Last edited:

Madic

May 21, 2008
That's how I see it too. McNeill has played solid two-way hockey and played big in the corners...nothing fancy, hasn't wowed too many people, but it hasn't hurt him, I don't think. Whereas Scheifele has stepped it up and shown some real offensive flair. I think he goes higher as a result of the tourney, possibly 10-15.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Steffen Søberg. He has played outstanding. I wasn't sure if someone would take a chance on him, but after this tournament someone should defiantly take a chance on him.

Soberg definitely rising and Perhonen falling. Today all three goals were a bit weak. Should have taken at least two of three. Perhonen is lookin like losing goaltender. Can't win close games.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Nick Cousins is playing like his usual self, scoring big goals and being a pest.. nothing new if you ask a Hound fan, if he gets into the 2nd round I would be happy, but his size and speed will hold him back IMO to the 3rd.

Canuck71*

Brett Ritchie anyone? He's been having a fairly solid tournament so far.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Malcolm Subban has let a few weak ones in over the last few games...but he is an underager and his defense has not been steller. Murphy had that unreal highlight goal but has been quiet other than that.

Im shocked that Canada can't bring a better goalie than subban...what's up with that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->