Red Sox/MLB RIP Tom Seaver

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Verdugo is a freaking stud.

his second at bat was incredible and he made an out

between Verdugo & Downs this is going to be like the return Montreal got when they traded Recchi to the Flyers

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
BEE524FC-AD07-4384-9F15-F16DD7FEE20F.jpeg

To whoever did this well played

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Verdugo is king
I am with you, love Verdugo, this is exactly what we needed in the Betts trade.
If Downs can pan out as an everyday 2B with a good bat, this will be a good one for us.
Hopefully Duran can take over when we let JBJ walks next year.
Casas is probably 2 years away.
Dalbec should get a chance to play this year.
Depending on what he shows, we may have the luxury of trading Devers for a big haul ( once he regains his swing).
I would love to grab some good young prospects that are close to major league ready for Devers, pitching being the major target.
The Brewers need a 3B...Garrett Mitchell and Ethan Small would start a nice conversation with them!
We can take all the money we saved not signing Betts and get a few good pitchers next year and a much needed closer.
I think Workman is best suited as a 7th or 8th inning guy.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'd hold onto Devers, pure power like that doesn't come along often. But with Dalbec on the way up, maybe think about converting Raffy to 1B or DH like what the Indians did with Jim Thome. If Casas pans out at 1B, then just let Devers DH. I love Chavis and the power he brings, but I don't see him as a long-term solution for the team, another Travis Shaw type who will have some good years with regular playing time elsewhere but won't achieve it here. Downs is the 2B of the future, and I think he arrives sooner rather than later.

We really just need to pick up a replacement for JBJ this winter and our lineup will be downright elite for the near future, and there just so happens to be a center fielder out there who grew up in Connecticut as a Red Sox fan who is up for free agency...

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Weber is out, Covey is in

From what I'm seeing (and I could be wrong), Covey is just taking a roster spot for now if they need a long man the next few days. Brian Johnson would be on regular rest to start on Wednesday when Weber's rotation turn comes up, though they may be looking to eventually bring up Houck to fill that slot in the rotation (but he'd be on short rest for this time around so it's probably Johnson first)

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Benny needs a break to get his head right. They should claim he has a minor injury and give him a DL stint to clear his head for 10 days and work on mechanics.

We're a quarter of the way through this abbreviated season and he's batting .059, got dumped from the leadoff spot, and was pinch hit for by Kevin Pillar in the 4th inning. That's more than a slump.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I'd hold onto Devers, pure power like that doesn't come along often. But with Dalbec on the way up, maybe think about converting Raffy to 1B or DH like what the Indians did with Jim Thome. If Casas pans out at 1B, then just let Devers DH. I love Chavis and the power he brings, but I don't see him as a long-term solution for the team, another Travis Shaw type who will have some good years with regular playing time elsewhere but won't achieve it here. Downs is the 2B of the future, and I think he arrives sooner rather than later.

We really just need to pick up a replacement for JBJ this winter and our lineup will be downright elite for the near future, and there just so happens to be a center fielder out there who grew up in Connecticut as a Red Sox fan who is up for free agency...
Sell Devers while his value is very high. His weight / body type worries me as well ( think of Panda Bear) in the long run. In my opinion he is more valuable being traded now so we can get some pitching and young prospects. This season is a right off. Lets look at next year with Sale coming back and hopefully Erod. If we got a decent #3 guy and some good young prospects for Devers, our team would be improved. I am confident that Dalbec can take over 3B or Chavis can play there as well on a PT basis.
Springer would be a nice add as well for next year, I can agree to that.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Benny needs a break to get his head right. They should claim he has a minor injury and give him a DL stint to clear his head for 10 days and work on mechanics.

We're a quarter of the way through this abbreviated season and he's batting .059, got dumped from the leadoff spot, and was pinch hit for by Kevin Pillar in the 4th inning. That's more than a slump.

Wonder how he felt about that?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Been beating this drum for a long time now. Benny is literally the most overrated player on the Sox in the last 20 years. He's had one semi decent season and nothing else. At this point, he'd be a defensive replacement at best for me if I was managing this team. And I think it all stems from his attitude. He still carries himself like he's the king of the world, despite not being able to buy a hit.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Been beating this drum for a long time now. Benny is literally the most overrated player on the Sox in the last 20 years. He's had one semi decent season and nothing else. At this point, he'd be a defensive replacement at best for me if I was managing this team. And I think it all stems from his attitude. He still carries himself like he's the king of the world, despite not being able to buy a hit.
I think this is completely false. Since joining the team in 16 he has been above the league average for BA. He has hit .290 2 years, .271 1 year, and .266 the last year. The only worry in my mind is the lack of HRs in the past 2 seasons but other than that is he a good player.

Reactions: LSCII

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I know you've been skeptical toward his performance for a long time and believe he's nothing but a JAG. But JAGs are at least league average. This is just a complete breakdown of all hitting ability. I think you'd admit that what he's showing now is worse than your tempered expectations for him.

I'd be happy if he were putting up average JBJ type numbers hitting .220. But he is as lost as any hitter I've ever seen. .058, I'd say it's the batting equivalent of the yips. He needs coaching and to take a mental health day.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He was a good player the first few years, exactly league average last year after falling off the map down the stretch, and is awful to start this year. I don’t see much wiggle room for debate there.

He’s been completely lost for the last 2-3 months or so he’s played baseball (end of last season and the start of this year). I don’t see the attitude issue, I just see a player struggling

I mean the evidence used for his “attitude issue” is he didn’t run out a strike 3 in the dirt last year, something a million players have done without being labeled anything. It’s not based on anything. I know for a fact that this guy works his ass off.

Idk what’s going on with him but he just isn’t driving the ball at all. I’d honestly give him a mental health week, nvm a day

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Pitching has been surprisingly not wretched lately

Mitch Moreland is the best player in Major League Baseball
What we know is Mitch hacks

he doesn’t need video

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He was a good player the first few years, exactly league average last year after falling off the map down the stretch, and is awful to start this year. I don’t see much wiggle room for debate there.

He’s been completely lost for the last 2-3 months or so he’s played baseball (end of last season and the start of this year). I don’t see the attitude issue, I just see a player struggling

I mean the evidence used for his “attitude issue” is he didn’t run out a strike 3 in the dirt last year, something a million players have done without being labeled anything. It’s not based on anything. I know for a fact that this guy works his ass off.

Idk what’s going on with him but he just isn’t driving the ball at all. I’d honestly give him a mental health week, nvm a day

I think it's all mental right now. Get through this abortion of a season and regroup. Work on mechanics and get unf***ed. Profit. It's easily something that he can come back from if he puts in the work. When I say attitude, I mean a combination of him thinking it was going to come easy because he had a good rookie season combined with the willingness to put in the work, and his mental game being strong enough to weather this storm. Would hate to see him go Daniel Bard or Rick Ankiel over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad