OT: RIP Tom Petty (1950-2017)

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Saw Petty many times Great Woods, the Garden, and Worcester. Always a great show. I always looked forward to hearing new music by him. If people get the chance check out the music documentary 'Running Down A Dream' about his career. I am truly saddened by this loss. Prayers and blessings to his family and band mates.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not sure if I`ll post this correctly but here`s a few of the hundred or so pics I took in July. I shared my feelings about TPATH in another thread, had the absolute priviledge of following he and the Heartbreakers across the States. Went on to see him with show in July in Boston with Mrs. Odaat

RIP Mr Petty, you were my John Lennon

Attachments

• Tom Petty.jpg
    Tom Petty.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Petty.jpg
    Petty.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 8

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Saw Petty many times Great Woods, the Garden, and Worcester. Always a great show. I always looked forward to hearing new music by him. If people get the chance check out the music documentary 'Running Down A Dream' about his career. I am truly saddened by this loss. Prayers and blessings to his family and band mates.
Agreed. Runnin down a dream is great. I heard Learning to Fly on the radio this morning. Tom was from FL and I feel Southern Rockers (the part of the country, not necessarily the genre) are underrated. Tom was so talented, his songs had a surreal quality that took you away to the land of Kudzu and were a little bit sad in a good way.

Reactions: Ladyfan

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agreed. Runnin down a dream is great. I heard Learning to Fly on the radio this morning. Tom was from FL and I feel Southern Rockers (the part of the country, not necessarily the genre) are underrated. Tom was so talented, his songs had a surreal quality that took you away to the land of Kudzu and were a little bit sad in a good way.
he had a song for every mood for this fan

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This was so good. Dylan was having a blast with Tom and the Heartbreakers. I went to this concert 2 nights in a row (at Great Woods in Mansfield...or whatever it is called now). Tom was one of the few that I would still go to. I will miss him.
Susan -- my guess is I was there. Not sure how many times Dylan and TP&H played together but I certainly saw them together at GW quite a few years ago.

IMO, for music I grew up with, Petty's first album is rivaled in how good it was only by Aerosmith's first.

I remember when old Tom punched a hole in a wall and broke his hand. For a while they thought he'd not play guitar again. He certainly had an interesting but very productive role. RIP Tom.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Susan -- my guess is I was there. Not sure how many times Dylan and TP&H played together but I certainly saw them together at GW quite a few years ago.

IMO, for music I grew up with, Petty's first album is rivaled in how good it was only by Aerosmith's first.

I remember when old Tom punched a hole in a wall and broke his hand. For a while they thought he'd not play guitar again. He certainly had an interesting but very productive role. RIP Tom.

Speaking of his hand, here`s Tom describing the incident

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Speaking of his hand, here`s Tom describing the incident

Until you need to do physical therapy, you have no idea how long of a road recovery can be, or if you'll ever get back to 100 %.
Thank god TP was able to play guitar again. I've been listening to Tom Petty radio station on Pandora for a few months now.
A lot of repeats, but I really enjoy his music. Dicks Clothing and sporting has a big golf tournament here where I live. They brought in
Bon Jovi this year for music and I suggested Petty for next year to a friend of the guy who organizes it.

When he played with the Wilbury's he always looked like he was having a great time.

Really sad.
RIP

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Until you need to do physical therapy, you have no idea how long of a road recovery can be, or if you'll ever get back to 100 %.
Thank god TP was able to play guitar again. I've been listening to Tom Petty radio station on Pandora for a few months now.
A lot of repeats, but I really enjoy his music. Dicks Clothing and sporting has a big golf tournament here where I live. They brought in
Bon Jovi this year for music and I suggested Petty for next year to a friend of the guy who organizes it.

When he played with the Wilbury's he always looked like he was having a great time.

Really sad.
RIP

crazy to think that only Ringo and Jeff Lynne are the only Wilbury`s still alive

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Not sure if I`ll post this correctly but here`s a few of the hundred or so pics I took in July. I shared my feelings about TPATH in another thread, had the absolute priviledge of following he and the Heartbreakers across the States. Went on to see him with show in July in Boston with Mrs. Odaat

RIP Mr Petty, you were my John Lennon

I thought of you Andrew. This one really hurts .

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I thought of you Andrew. This one really hurts .

Right back at ya, it`s odd just how much music means to many if not all of us no matter what genre. I have friends who never really liked Petty and I was fine with that, not sure what it was about him, his music or style but he and the Heartbreakers just spoke to me almost from the first moment I heard them.

I remember Dad picked me up from the airport after I had seen the last show in Vancouver on that tour and his words still remain vivid, he said "Je*** Ch**** you look like you had fun". I lost over 12 lbs while following him as I was partaking in less than healthy "activities" while on my journey with the band.

He`ll be missed greatly

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Ringo wasn't a Wilbury but Bob Dylan is and he is still with us.

Yeah, the Wilbury's drummer was Jim Keltner who is still alive and has played with EVERYONE from Carly Simon to Simon and Garfunkel. You can see him in the "Handle With Care" video.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Just an illustration of Tom Petty's songwriting genius. One thing I always loved about his songs, is the first line of every song always grabbed you, like Rebels:

Honey don't walk out I'm too drunk to follow
You know you won't feel this way tomorrow

This is one of my favorite gems, Room At The Top

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I posted this in another thread but Stephen King sums it up...
"

Tom Petty gone? That's just so wrong. What a bad day this has been, in so many ways."

Reactions: Fenway

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Runnin down a dream is alright but:
1 They didn't even talk about Wildflowers or She's the One
2 No new interviews with Stan .Everything that is in it is just clips from other docs
3 Over reliance on clips from other docs like Tom Petty: Going Home
4 They didn't cover topics that should be in the doc like the meeting where a new power structure was setup . BTM on vh1 covered it starts at 2:50ish

5 I just feel it could have been more than what it was.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Just an illustration of Tom Petty's songwriting genius. One thing I always loved about his songs, is the first line of every song always grabbed you, like Rebels:

Honey don't walk out I'm too drunk to follow
You know you won't feel this way tomorrow

My favorite Tom Petty tune. That line is so simple, yet sheer genius. An entire relationship described in a single couplet. Incidentally, I was living in the south a few years after this song came out and it was almost biographical; my southern belle girlfriend even ". . . screamed in the car and left me out in the thicket" somewhere between Charlotte and Hickory NC.

RIP Tom Petty

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Goodnight baby, sleep tight my love
May God watch over you from above

Tomorrow I'm workin' what would I do
I'd be lost and lonely if not for you

So close your eyes
We're alright for now

I've spent my life travelin'
Spent my life free
I could not repay all you've done for me

So sleep tight baby
Unfurrow your brow
And know I love you
We're alright for now.
We're alright for now.

Reactions: sooshii

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Runnin down a dream is alright but:
1 They didn't even talk about Wildflowers or She's the One
2 No new interviews with Stan .Everything that is in it is just clips from other docs
3 Over reliance on clips from other docs like Tom Petty: Going Home
4 They didn't cover topics that should be in the doc like the meeting where a new power structure was setup . BTM on vh1 covered it starts at 2:50ish

5 I just feel it could have been more than what it was.

1) The whole section with Rick Rubin in the studio was pretty much about Wildflowers. Mostly about how Tom decided to phase out Stan once and for all during those sessions and bring in Steve Ferrone as permanent drummer.

4) I the idea of Tom being the leader was a thread that ran thru the whole thing. Guys being somewhat bitter (like Benmont) and others being full blown mad (Stan) and Mike just kinda going with it because he was always trusted by Tom and always in the fold.

5) It was a 4 hour doc. I really don't see what more could be added.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad