OT: RIP Tom Petty (1950-2017)

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Wow - this is the first I heard of this and am truly shocked.

When I was a teen in the 80's, his was one of the first non-metal concerts I attended and loved it.

His body of work is truly impressive, and he always stood up for the Average Joe. I remember his bitter contract dispute with MCA in the early 80's when he didn't want them to charge an extra dollar for his album (Hard Promises) since he was an established artist.

Reactions: Ladyfan

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Tom Petty was one of those few artists you could enjoy as a preteen, but you would also love for their true musical talent when you hit middle age.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
:cry:This one really hurts. My daughter fell in love with Tom Petty's music when she was 3 and we have seen him together many times the last was June of this year (Amanda flew home for the concert in Hartford) It was my Christmas present from her.

He was SO good in concert. I feet like he was a part of our life.

I am truly sad.

Where is ODAAT ? Andrew, I am glad you saw Tom in Boston. I know you are a huge fan.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
This sucks. I'm not the biggest Petty guy, but I respect what he did in his career immensely. He's one of those rare artists that could appeal to everyone.

Truly will be missed.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I've seen him 8 or 10 times over the years.
This is one of my favorites.

This was so good. Dylan was having a blast with Tom and the Heartbreakers. I went to this concert 2 nights in a row (at Great Woods in Mansfield...or whatever it is called now). Tom was one of the few that I would still go to. I will miss him.

Reactions: sooshii

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
My first concert was him at The Garden in '95 my sophomore year of college. He has been my favorite musician since I was 13 or so.

Gutted right now.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
considering how often I posted his music here it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what I think about him. As of right now it seems that he's not in the big Megalomart in the sky although it seems it may just be a matter of time

Reactions: Ladyfan and sooshii

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
tompett-1950to2017.jpg

On behalf of the Tom Petty family we are devastated to announce the untimely death of of our father, husband, brother, leader and friend Tom Petty. He suffered cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu in the early hours of this morning and was taken to UCLA Medical Center but could not be revived. He died peacefully at 8:40 p.m. PT surrounded by family, his bandmates and friends.

http://www.tompetty.com/news/tom-petty-1950-2017-1758086

@Ladyfan - At least you and your daughter saw him in June in Hartford

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad