OT: RIP Tom Petty (1950-2017)

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
1) The whole section with Rick Rubin in the studio was pretty much about Wildflowers. Mostly about how Tom decided to phase out Stan once and for all during those sessions and bring in Steve Ferrone as permanent drummer.

4) I the idea of Tom being the leader was a thread that ran thru the whole thing. Guys being somewhat bitter (like Benmont) and others being full blown mad (Stan) and Mike just kinda going with it because he was always trusted by Tom and always in the fold.

5) It was a 4 hour doc. I really don't see what more could be added.

1 It wasn't in depth and it could have been. Whether about the impact of the album as a whole or how it performed

4 The issues with Stan pre dated that meeting. Him and Tom pretty much had problems since day one. They didn't even touch on Mike and Stans problems with each other. From the late 80's through Stans firing they never spoke to each another because of a fight that happened in Italy. Band tensions happen but when a meeting is called to lay things out like they did, a meeting that causes ripples through the band for years to come it should have been covered since it was already out there

5 The could have squeezed things in that needed to be told. If you're going to tell a story tell the whole thing. They talk about drugs in general and talk about Howie's heroin use but omit Tom's heroin phase during the 90's. It's ok to talk about Tom's outside writing and producing but barely mentions other members outside work. Stan and Mike work on multiple Don Henley albums deserved to get more attention.

again I'm a huge fan and have been for decades but I still feel it could have been better. It's good but could have been great.

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Well, Tom didn't open up about the heroin until several years after the film was made.

And as far as the other guy's work, well....I think that might tell you kind of one of the issues that flowed throughout their career and caused the strife....that Tom was always THE guy.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
What a huge loss.

Just saw him in mid August in Vancouver and he was in top form with great sense of humour. Was fortunate to see him twice and he is a one of my all time favs...

Just a reminder to see the legends when you can....

Reactions: Ladyfan

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Well, Tom didn't open up about the heroin until several years after the film was made.

And as far as the other guy's work, well....I think that might tell you kind of one of the issues that flowed throughout their career and caused the strife....that Tom was always THE guy.

His drug uses was known in Hollywood and PB probably knew about and should have both probed him on it and included imo.

For the other guys work if you doing a doc about a band do it on the whole band.Talk about why they are doing outside work. Why those songs weren't HB numbers etc If not just call it a Tom Petty doc. Tell the whole story or don't tell it at all.PB should know better.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

You And I Will Meet Again
Tom Petty
Lyrics
You and I will meet again
When we're least expecting it
Somewhere in some far off place
I will recognize your face
I won't say good-bye my friend
For you and I will meet again
I heard you singing to no one
I saw you dancing all alone
One day you belonged to me
Next day I just wouldn't know
One day all the rules will bend
And you and I will meet again
I've got a feeling
I've got a feeling so strong
Maybe someday our roads will cross
A red-winged hawk is circling
The blacktop stretches out for days
How could I get so close to you
And still feel so far away?
I hear a vo ice come on the wind
Sayin' you and I will meet again
I don't know how, I don't know when
But you and I will meet again

Last edited:
Reactions: sooshii and Ladyfan

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Where I work, everyone gets a shot at controlling the play list for the night within reason, can`t play tunes which are expletive laced. Needless to say, my last shift was Tom Petty night, 4.5 hours of Petty :nod:

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Still bummed about Tom's passing. I was a big fan from Damn the Torpedoes on. Saw him on the Full Moon Fever tour, then again sometime in the 2000s, and finally this past summer on the 40th Anniversary tour. Always put on great shows. He and the Heartbreakers were one of the best live rock n roll bands ever.

Everyone knows the hits - I always try to turn people on the their underrated "She's the One" album from the 90s - a soundtrack to a movie. "Walls" is one of my favourite songs of his.

R.I.P. Tom Petty.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Still bummed about Tom's passing. I was a big fan from Damn the Torpedoes on. Saw him on the Full Moon Fever tour, then again sometime in the 2000s, and finally this past summer on the 40th Anniversary tour. Always put on great shows. He and the Heartbreakers were one of the best live rock n roll bands ever.

Everyone knows the hits - I always try to turn people on the their underrated "She's the One" album from the 90s - a soundtrack to a movie. "Walls" is one of my favourite songs of his.

R.I.P. Tom Petty.
I am still sad too I like many of his songs that were not hits .

Tom and his Heartbreakers were one of the few that I would still go and see He was my daughter's favorite (she saw him 4 times this year) .
He was a part of our lives as long as I can remember. It just seems wrong that he is gone.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I'm old so I'm partial to Petty's early albums, but Hard Promises Side 1 was a staple in my cassette deck rotation. The Waiting was the big hit, but A Woman In Love (It's not me), Nightwatchman, and Something Big to me were Petty at his storytelling best. Petty singing "probably just another clown working on something big" is my favorite closing line that no one has heard.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm old so I'm partial to Petty's early albums, but Hard Promises Side 1 was a staple in my cassette deck rotation. The Waiting was the big hit, but A Woman In Love (It's not me), Nightwatchman, and Something Big to me were Petty at his storytelling best. Petty singing "probably just another clown working on something big" is my favorite closing line that no one has heard.

I`m not sure if being 47 is old but if it is, then I am:) I wore out Southern Accents, not traditionally the album many look to. Loved the 'She`s the One' release too. What I loved most about this 40th Anniversary tour show was I got to hear some tunes live I hadn`t heard in decades live like Rockin` Around (With you), You got Lucky etc....his voice was as strong as ever, seemed to have great energy.

He and the Heartbreakers always seemed to have an extra gear for shows in Boston, I`ve read numerous times it was Boston who first embraced the band way back as far as cities in the US go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad