RIP Ted Lindsay

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Such an impactful person, both on and off the ice.

Not everybody may know that "Terrible Ted" was the driving force behind starting the NHLPA. And he did a lot of charity work after his playing days.

He was actually part of attending my first Red Wings game. At the time, my dad worked with somebody whose father had a suite at The Joe, which occasionally went unused. So the first "game experience" for my brother and I considered of two kids stuffing their faces with whatever food they wanted, while alternating between watching live on the balcony and catching replays on the TV.

And then, after the game, we saw who was standing on the balcony of the suite next door: Ted Lindsay! Not only was he gracious enough to say hi to all of us, but he signed the Red Wings t-shirts that my brother and I wore to the game. A very magical night for two kids that were already hooked on the sport and the team.

RIP, Mr. Lindsay. And condolences to family and friends.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Sad to hear. Through somewhat random circumstances, he and my dad became friendly in the late 90s and would exchange calls over the years. I've met him several times. He was always a very nice guy. Rest in peace, Ted!

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Sorry to hear the news. Ted was one of my favorite players. Fortunately I was able to go see a game 1x a year in the 50's. The TV would show the 3rd period sometimes. I met him when he was GM at a pick-your-seat event at the Olympia. I remember the infamous death threat at TML. Ted also declined to go to his Hall of Fame dinner unless he could bring his wife. It was an all-male event back then. Ted was a great player & human being ahead of his time

Last edited:

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
There's a made for Canadian television film about his quarrels with Jack Adams and trying to form the NHLPA called Net Worth. I watched it a few weeks ago. Netflix has it on DVD.

It's also been said that he was the first to lift The Cup and skate around the ice.

A Wings legend. RIP.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This morning I learned that this is actually a picture of The Production Line celebrating Sid Abel's child being born:

98d4453340b0291fd4fb94cdb95a9b63.jpg

This town has had so many wonderful athletes who were also wonderful human beings.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Sad to wake up and hear about this, but he lived a long, great life. Thanks for everything that you've done for the Red Wings and the NHL, Ted. RIP to an absolute legend.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
"Terrible Ted" was a great player, pioneer and person to the Red wing organization and to hockey itself. Named to top 100 all time players. Part of a small group that started NHLPA. Stanley Cups, Art Ross........ it goes on and on. What a career, what a fabulous life he led. I like the quote "no friends on the ice" He we'll surely be missed.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I can't think of anything to say that hasn't already been said about Mr. Lindsay.

RIP "Terrible" Ted.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
RIP. We lost a lot of legends in the past couple years. Red Wings especially.

Lindsay, Howe, Bower, Beliveau etc are up there breaking hockey records in heaven.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
RIP Mr Lindsay. My dad told me you were 1 tough dude. Really stood up for the players. At a true cost to you. A true hockey legend. and a great Detroit-er forever.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
My heartfelt apologies to you Red Wings fans (from this Rangers fan) on the loss of a great man, who was a true patriarch of the NHL. A little before my time (very little) but am knowledgeable enough to know how, he influenced the sport I grew up loving. Thanks Mr. Lindsay and R.I.P.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seems like he lived a long, amazing life.. What a legend... Rest In Peace.

Reactions: Bench

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What a run he had during his life.

My mom got a book signed during the last season at the Joe and even was able to get a huge from him. Just an all-around great guy and legend of the NHL.

Reactions: Bench and Frk It

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Rest in Peace Mr. Lindsay. Please say hi to Mr. Hockey for us.

Another great NHL player gone from my childhood.

Long live the Original Six, and all their great players!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad