RIP Ruslan Salei (1974-2011)

Professor John Frink

Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
I have really high standards on retiring numbers. I don't want Kariya's or Niedermayer's retired. Mayybe Jiggy. Selanne is the only one for sure.

So I'm not a fan of retiring Rusty's number. Didn't Burke start some kind of wall of honor or something? For players who did a lot? I think Hebert was on it? That would be perfect for Rusty.

I'm with you. Why not raise some sort of tribute banner even in honor of him. Someone said it earlier but no matter if it is retired or not I doubt anyone wears it for some time.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I have really high standards on retiring numbers. I don't want Kariya's or Niedermayer's retired. Mayybe Jiggy. Selanne is the only one for sure.

So I'm not a fan of retiring Rusty's number. Didn't Burke start some kind of wall of honor or something? For players who did a lot? I think Hebert was on it? That would be perfect for Rusty.

It was started pre-Burke I believe, and yes he'd be perfect, even before the accident. Factoring in longevity and impact, probably the #3 all-time defenseman, and leader in games played by a defenseman.

But, no, shouldn't be retired. He hasn't played with us in 5 years, to a point where some fans likely barely remember him. Wall of Honor is perfect, and I wouldn't be opposed to keeping 24 off of anyone for at least next season, along with a patch(like many of the ones we've seen here) to be worn season-long.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Just watched the memorial. I'd recommend that anyone who wants to watch it not do so unless they want to be sad. Even in Russian, you will be moved.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Just watched the memorial. I'd recommend that anyone who wants to watch it not do so unless they want to be sad. Even in Russian, you will be moved.

Never understood a word they said but cried like a baby. It was a very touching ceremony.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
We can honor the #24 like the Leafs do with their numbers?

At the end of the day I wouldn't mind seeing it retired but I think Selanne's number should be the one retired as the first in franchise history.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Photo from Salei's funeral with Mighty Ducks jersey over the casket. This is so awful, still can't believe this happened.

scaled.php

Last edited:

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Random stupid question, but I wonder where they get a Salei Ducks jersey? Are there really extras lying around, or do they rush make a replica?

Salei was one of my favorites from that era. Still sad that he's gone.

Best Belorussian NHLer ever?

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
I'm thinking his family had to have at least one right? Or his wife brought one? I would assume Rusty still had a jersey.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Best Belorussian NHLer ever?

Easily at the moment due to longevity. He was a solid second pairing guy (who often played first pairing minutes due to the team he was on) pretty much his whole career.

Grabovski might surpass him if he can keep putting up seasons like he did last year though.

Last edited:

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Stopped by the Ponda after lunch in the area. The memorial has grown, kudos to the Ducks for keeping it up even with events held there recently.

IMG_20110911_145120.jpg

IMG_20110911_145132.jpg

IMG_20110911_145153.jpg

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Does anyone else think it would be cool to get a "Rusty" chan't going at the home opener? I think it would be especially apt if he was honored in some way.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
They had a touching tribute before the first pre-season game to all those lost but I'm hoping they do something more for Rusty. Sad to see they took down the memorial at the Wild Wing statue.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Bracelets Sold to Raise Funds for Families Affected by Lokomotiv Tragedy

Friday, 09.23.2011 / 4:11 PM / News

On Tuesday, September 20th, the Ducks opened the preseason with a tribute to former and current NHL players who were lost in the off-season, including the members of the Lokomotiv Yarsolavl hockey team that died in a tragic plane crash on September 7 in Russia. Ducks players and fans paid respect with a moment of silence, led by the Salei family and the Anaheim Lady Ducks, the wives and significant others of Ducks players, coaches, executive staff and broadcasters.

To support the Lokomotiv families, wives throughout the NHL have united in an effort to raise funds in honor of those lost.

Kodette LaBarbera, wife of Coyotes goaltender Jason LaBarbera, and Katerina Jokinen, wife of Calgary Flames center Olli Jokinen, are leading a fundraising effort to help the families of the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team. LaBarbera and Jokinen have designed bracelets, with the proceeds going to the families of the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team.

Fans can purchase bracelets at www.LoveforLokomotiv.com. The cost for bracelets is $25 for kids’ beaded bracelets, $50 for adult beaded bracelets and $10 for silicon bracelets

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=589555

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad