RIP Peter McNab

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
A couple things I remember.

Willie O'Ree was in town and Peter talked about his time playing for his dad's team in San Diego and how much Peter admired how O'Ree carried himself in the face of bigotry,

When talking about women's hockey saying he used to be as chauvinistic as everyone else, but came around to having women players because of his daughter.

He was like the Anti-Don Cherry.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Watched his tribute on Avs YouTube as it didn’t air before the game for me on SNNOW. I thought it was a pretty nice touch and quite interesting to hear the level of interaction he had with some of the players as alluded to by Foote and later Sakic on the broadcast. Best wishes to his family and friends, by all accounts it sounds like he was just a genuinely good person who spread both his joy of the game and his joy of life to those he met.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
An incredibly sweet man.

He's as much a part of Avalanche hockey for me as Joe Sakic or Nathan MacKinnon. It'll be so very strange to watch Avs games and not hear Peter McNab. He was part of the organization from the beginning and I still can't believe he's gone.
Agreed. That first year was a crazy season where going from a Nordiques to Avs fan coincided with a return move to a city where I didn't really know anyone anymore. It also coincided with ESPN showing tons of games at a time where hockey had become my favorite sport to watch. My ritual was ordering wings and watching the Avs any time they were on, and it seemed like they were on a lot. The story of Pete ordering 48 wings and putting a towel around his neck to eat them definitely made me smile - he was just like me haha.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado

4:25

Add to the list of extremely poorly timed home runs and such.

The absurd mixture of Somber Joe and Coked Up Moser....

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The media gallery at Ball Arena needs to be renamed the Peter McNab media gallery and the Avs need to wear a PM patch until the end of the season. Period.
There is a fine line to be walked though between paying our mad respects to a complete legend but also balancing that with the fact that he kinda abhorred being the story.

The players last night though. Catching them after the game actually looking up to the press box and saluting. What a wonderful, mixed up, messed up, jumble of emotions last night was. It was good to experience it with all of y'all here.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There is a fine line to be walked though between paying our mad respects to a complete legend but also balancing that with the fact that he kinda abhorred being the story.

The players last night though. Catching them after the game actually looking up to the press box and saluting. What a wonderful, mixed up, messed up, jumble of emotions last night was. It was good to experience it with all of y'all here.

Agreed. I would love to see a patch on the jersey that said "Maxy" or something to that effect on it, but McNab probably would've hated that.

The tributes to Pete (the empty chair, the moment of celebration, the salute to the press box) were all fantastic and befitting of the man himself. I think if there was nothing more done beyond that, it's probably fine and though I obviously did not know the man, likely what he would have wanted.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Agreed. I would love to see a patch on the jersey that said "Maxy" or something to that effect on it, but McNab probably would've hated that.

The tributes to Pete (the empty chair, the moment of celebration, the salute to the press box) were all fantastic and befitting of the man himself. I think if there was nothing more done beyond that, it's probably fine and though I obviously did not know the man, likely what he would have wanted.
Good points indeed. I hope they consult the family on this mater to do something a bit more lasting than a one night ceremony (if the family wants that). Maybe something is in the works.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Good points indeed. I hope they consult the family on this mater to do something a bit more lasting than a one night ceremony (if the family wants that). Maybe something is in the works.
It boils down to the fact that he was widely loved and they can choose to celebrate him any way they want, because the only acceptable alternative is the man himself, and that's not possible. They need to honor him, no question about it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Love the moment of celebration last night instead of silence. Exactly what Pete would have wanted.

Mad respect to Mose too, for being such a pro and making it through such an incredibly emotional night for him. Laying off during the moments Pete usually handled like the bets and some of the replays was kinda cool in a subtle way too.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
it might be in the thread here, but can someone find the 1 min or so video of the Avs winning the cup and the press box? Tried to find it tonight and cant track it down on youtube.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Interesting all the people they're bringing into the booth to effectively "fill in" for Maxy. Eric Lacroix, Adam Foote, and the Danglemaster himself, Johnny Malkin. Wonder if that's a temporary thing for just this season or if they just continue with it indefinitely.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Interesting all the people they're bringing into the booth to effectively "fill in" for Maxy. Eric Lacroix, Adam Foote, and the Danglemaster himself, Johnny Malkin. Wonder if that's a temporary thing for just this season or if they just continue with it indefinitely.
I don't think Foote needs the work and I take it as a sign of respect for McNabb that he's filling in.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't think Foote needs the work and I take it as a sign of respect for McNabb that he's filling in.
Agreed I see it as respect as well. Doubt Foote is doing this just because he wants the job.

Not sure if they are just using the options they have for the time being until they find a full timer or what. But I doubt Foote will be here for the long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad