Boxing: RIP Muhammad Ali

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
never saw any of his fights, and I don't really know much about him other than of course he was a legendary fighter and was arrogant as hell and quite a character. I think that's what made him unique he certainly had some epic lines. I'm guessing he also had a very amazing record. So that's pretty much my knowledge of him as an athlete superstar.

About his persona, I just know that he was very vocal about the social realities of his race and skipped the draft and was jailed for it. I also know about his conversion to Islam and dropping what he called his "slave/christian name" for an authentic black name to fit him. Well that I just think is laughable because he changed his name to an Arab name :laugh:

but he was without a doubt a cultural icon
He took a muslim name.

I'm not a muslim anymore but how is that a contradiction?

Also, people need to understand that like malcolm x much of what ali believed as a young man in the black and white film, or the grainy outdated technicolor you saw on youtube he stopped believing over 40 years ago. So much ridiculousness out there.

20140212-092140.jpg

Last edited:

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
He took a muslim name.

Also, people need to understand that like malcolm x much of what ali believed as a young man in the black and white film, or the grainy outdated technicolor you saw on youtube he stopped believing over 40 years ago. So much ridiculousness out there.

20140212-092140.jpg

Thank You! People seem to not realize this or conveniently want to overlook it for the sake of an agenda.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
He took a muslim name.

20140212-092140.jpg
the contradiction is that Islam was brought by Arabs and black Africans were converted into it and Arabs were heavy into the slave trade in Africa way way waaaay before the European slave trade in Africa. Google the Arab slave trade, so yes it's stupid and a contradiction. Neverthless I just commented on this particular idea and I agree that people change. The same ignorant idea that Malcolm X upon traveling and seeing the world made him change. So I agree with you on that, I'm not saying otherwise. Just commenting on the reason for his name change is ridiculous.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
View attachment 90285a buddy of mine sent this to me, his grandpa used to be a trainer at maple leaf gardens. Word he gave me was this was the first time Mohammed Ali ever held a hockey skate. Thought it was pretty cool and had to share.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Can someone explain to me why Ali was racist again?

Racist in that he railed against a systemic oppression of his own people in his OWN country?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Let me join in those that is shaking my head at the ridiculousness out there as well.

Yes, Ali said inflammatory and racist things. Not because he was racist, however. It's convenient and oh so revisionist of these people, here, in this thread, to leave out the context of the times and the situations in which he found himself in, however. Battling against. Fighting with. Struggling to retain what little humanity he was afforded at the time and trying to achieve more.

Muhammad Ali was not a racist. Yes, he was contradictory. Yes, he was inflammatory. Yes, he did make mistakes. Yes he deserves respect. And yes, he should be commended and idolized for his controversial views in an oppressive time and having the integrity, self belief and courage in himself for standing up and being a loud, proud unapologetically black male which still scares some people today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad