RIP Mr. I!

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Without Mr. I, the chances are I wouldn't be a Wings fan, and possibly not even much of a hockey fan. I wish the owner of my other great sporting love was half as engaged and passionate.

I hope his passing was as painless as possible.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Oh no, I just literally got done working and stopped off and got myself a Hot-n-Ready pizza on my way home.

Man he was such a respectable guy. He won't have to witness the Red Wings missing the playoffs.

He will be greatly, greatly missed :(

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
TB and lifelong Yzerman fan checking in to give condolences.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Very sad news. This year is a real downer as a Red Wings fan..
What a legacy he leaves behind though. Amazing owner.

RIP Mr. I

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Sad day for Detroit sports. Agree with you guys that it's a bummer about the Tigers.

RIP Mr. Ilitch, you did some amazing things for the Red Wings and Michigan hockey.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Have a huge respect for M. Illitch. Built his empire from nothing. Loyal to his people and his city.

He has been a winner everywhere and he will be remembered as one.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This just sucks. RIP Mr. I and thanks for turning around two of Detroit's sport organizations. It really sucks the Tigers could never finish the deal for him.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Rip. Thanks for making the red wings great again :yo:

And even tho many hate it. I actually enjoy little ceasars

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
RIP Mr. Illitch. While he'll always be known as the man who turned the Red Wing franchise around he was so much more to hockey and Detroit.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
This is very sad, though very expected given his age and general health.

He really was a fantastic owner, self-made billionaire to boot. He turned the Wings into a very classy and much copied franchise, the best of the best. As someone else said, without him and his willingness to bring in great hockey minds, I wouldn't be a Wings fan today. It's quite incredible what they managed to do with the franchise once he bought it.

Thank you for everything, Mr. I. You will be missed greatly.

DaGoose

Jul 22, 2015
The reason I started watching hockey was because of his Red Wings teams in the 90s. Shortly after, I started playing hockey. Didn't take long for hockey to become my favorite sport.

This is a sad day. Thanks for the memories Illitch. Watching Yzerman lift the Cup is my favorite sports moment of all-time.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Have a huge respect for M. Illitch. Built his empire from nothing. Loyal to his people and his city.
I read an article this evening talking about how rough the financial situation was when he and Marian first started the business. Apparently she was at home one day, when a rather burly fellow came to the door, saying, "I'm here for the couch."

He actually had to sell some of his own furniture to pay the bills for the business.

Quite the success story, going from those circumstances to a net worth over $4 billion.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
RIP Mr. Illitch.

Thanks for helping bring the Wings out of the Dead-Wing era. You'll be sorely missed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad