Boston Herald RIP John 'Pie' McKenzie (1937-2018)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Prayers for Pie

Big, Bad Bruin Johnny McKenzie won his biggest fight off the ice

Johnny is dying. He is confined to a bed inside the comfortable Wakefield home he shares with longtime lady friend Beth Romanelli, his hands resting on his belly, his eyes still rich and blue, but staring off at not much of anything. Johnny no longer speaks but Beth says, “He can understand everything you say to him. I know it.”
Johnny’s 80-year-old body is ravaged by time, by too many hockey fights and, perhaps, by the residue from all those late nights all those years ago when the Big, Bad Bruins tore up Boston and, for that matter, every port of call in the National Hockey League.

Johnny was a hockey nomad until the Bruins acquired him from the New York Rangers midway through the 1965-66 season for Reggie “The Ruffian” Fleming, who had passed through Boston in the middle of his own journeyman’s career.

Reactions: HumBucker

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Prayers for Pie

Big, Bad Bruin Johnny McKenzie won his biggest fight off the ice

Johnny is dying. He is confined to a bed inside the comfortable Wakefield home he shares with longtime lady friend Beth Romanelli, his hands resting on his belly, his eyes still rich and blue, but staring off at not much of anything. Johnny no longer speaks but Beth says, “He can understand everything you say to him. I know it.”
Johnny’s 80-year-old body is ravaged by time, by too many hockey fights and, perhaps, by the residue from all those late nights all those years ago when the Big, Bad Bruins tore up Boston and, for that matter, every port of call in the National Hockey League.

Johnny was a hockey nomad until the Bruins acquired him from the New York Rangers midway through the 1965-66 season for Reggie “The Ruffian” Fleming, who had passed through Boston in the middle of his own journeyman’s career.

One of my all time favorite players :(

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Added so much excitement to the Big Bad Bs,instigator extraordinaire. I always remember him running goalie Ernie Wakely and as Don Earle would say "and away we go!"

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Met Pie at an post alumni game party about 20 years ago. He was as gracious and gentlemanly off the ice as he was truculent on the ice. Johnny Bucyk had him fetching plates of food from the buffet, just like he used to dig out pucks in the corner in the old days. Let his twilight be as peaceful and sweet as he was that night. God's speed #19.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1.jpg

I recall watching him play for the B's Alumni against members of the 1980 U.S. Olympic team at Matthews Arena a few years ago. Always smiling, and back then he could still motor.

Reactions: Ladyfan

skullguise

Nov 13, 2007
North Andover, MA
Very sad, but so uplifting to read the article and see how he battled and beat his demons, and reconciled with an estranged family. Others have said it well....wishing good thoughts for a peaceful transition, with all the best to family and friends.

Reactions: Sprair and Ladyfan

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I am sorry to hear...sigh....As you get older you lose family , friends, music people you loved and hockey players who added enjoyment to your life.
...and may I add that when we get to a certain age we have more family and friends "on the other side" than we have here. I heard about this a long while ago but was afraid to inquire any further because, obviously we wish to remember the person, the player when they were at the top of their humanity. So sad.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
...and may I add that when we get to a certain age we have more family and friends "on the other side" than we have here. I heard about this a long while ago but was afraid to inquire any further because, obviously we wish to remember the person, the player when they were at the top of their humanity. So sad.

I have known for awhile but I was not going to post anything until it became public.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad