Boston Herald RIP John 'Pie' McKenzie (1937-2018)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Interesting fact: he ended his career in Hartford and when he retired the Whalers retired his #19 and raised it to the rafters of the Civic Center in tribute to what he meant to hockey in New England. RIP
HartfordWhalersBanners.jpg

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
So sad, one of faves of the "Big Bad" team. I had a great uncle of the same name, except spelled "Mac" rather than "Mc". It was a running joke when I was a kid that my uncle was on the Bruins.
Rest in peace, Pie.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Johnny ‘Pie’ McKenzie, 80, Big, Bad Bruins’ spark plug - The Boston Globe
In 1971, Mr. McKenzie was limited to two goals in seven games when the Bruins were upset by the Canadiens in the first round, but it wasn’t for lack of effort. An X-ray revealed that he had played with a fractured skull, which he suffered in the first game.
Mr. McKenzie shrugged off the injury. “It really wasn’t much as skull fractures go,” he said, according to NHL.com. “Just a little bone where the nose is hooked onto the forehead. It was unhooked.’’

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Very sad - he is among my earliest memories as a Bruin's fan. Very similar to Brad Marchand in size, peskiness and skill set (well, a "poor man's" Marchand in skill but still good). Johnny ("the 3rd man in rule ruined my career") McKenzie - RIP.

Reactions: sooshii

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad