RIP George Armstrong

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
George Armstrong scored the last Leafs goal, into an empty net in 1967 to secure a 3-1 Leafs win and their last Stanley Cup. :stanley:

He will always be remembered fondly by me for that. RIP Chief

For younger Leaf fans that want to see that moment or relive that Armstrong highlight as it was back then.

Game highlights - 1967 playoffs (see minute 25 on for that Armstrong moment) ..

Awesome hightlights and in colour to boot. Lots of great players on those teams. Imagine having Terry Sawchuk and Gump Worsley as your backups.

Mitch and Hymie would be proud of George's empty netter.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Longest serving player and captain in Maple Leaf history. Tied for second all time with four cup wins while serving as team captain.

RIP Chief.

George Armstrong spent his entire NHL career with the Toronto Maple Leafs, and served as Leafs captain for 12-seasons and won four Stanley Cups before being inducted into the Hockey Hall of fame in 1975.

The last captain to win a Cup, maybe passing the torch onto the next Leafs captain to hoist a cup. :crossfing

Fate forecasting unfolding before our eyes 15 years later.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
George Armstrong was the best Leaf captain ever,true leader. His whole career was with the Leafs, over 20 years. He also was the first Leaf I seen raise the cup and hopefully not the last. Mr Armstrong speak to the man upstairs to see what he can do to make the curse go away for us Leaf fans.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Life long Leaf player, turning pro in 1950-51 and retiring in 1970-71 (20 years of service) with 12 as Leafs captain while hoisting 4 Cups, then assistant Leafs GM, and even Leafs coach and eventually Leafs scout & team ambassador.

Talk about wearing a lot of hats in the organization and lifelong commitment to Blue and White.

Now that is dedication the likes of which will not soon be matched or ever achieved again.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
With young JT

ypYCZUr.png

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
R.I.P. good Sir. Another hero from my youth is gone. I'll never forget watching you lead my Leafs.

Thank you for your service to our Leafs.

Condolences to all his loved ones.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Team First

Jul 18, 2010
Look at how many players come and go, yet George Armstrong played 20 years with the Leafs. A humble man who deserves the respect of all the Leaf nation.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
R.I.P. bud. Thanks for everything you did for our team.
From the sound of it, he was a very nice guy, on & off the ice.
Will be missed :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad