RIP extraskater.com?

Oct 18, 2011
NHL teams are now hiring guys who simply input data into websites now :shakehead
it was a great website, guess maybe i'll go make a copycat and get hired too

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
@FriedgeHNIC
Have had a few questions about @ExtraSkater today. It was not an NHL-mandated shutdown. Maybe he was "Dellowed."

Damnit... lol

@behindthenet
@mirtle @JonathanWillis whiners. Step up and improve my UI, you HTML ballers, I'll pay you.

For all you internet coding wizards...

As someone who is a professional software dev specializing in web based interfaces for heavy data driven backends I would be all over it.

Too bad I don't have twitter to contact the guy ha....

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Lots of information is archived and still available via the waybackmachine, so we still have access to a lot of the good stuff if anybody is in dire need of their data.

badtakemachine

Dec 20, 2002
The timing of this and the new "terms of service" on NHL.com leads me to believe the anti-scraping story.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The timing of this and the new "terms of service" on NHL.com leads me to believe the anti-scraping story.

I would think that as well, although Friedman (who is very plugged in) doesn't seem to think so.

I don't really think Darrly at ES would be hired by an NHl team either though. He's mostly a coder. He doesn't really bring anything relevant to the analysis side. Compiles the data but doesn't interpret it.

ES getting bought out by something like TSN makes sense to me. Betters their site and keeps hockey relevant there.

It's a shame. I love ES. Not as detailed as BTN or stats.hockeyanalyis, but it has by far the best interface.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I would think that as well, although Friedman (who is very plugged in) doesn't seem to think so.

I don't really think Darrly at ES would be hired by an NHl team either though. He's mostly a coder. He doesn't really bring anything relevant to the analysis side. Compiles the data but doesn't interpret it.

ES getting bought out by something like TSN makes sense to me. Betters their site and keeps hockey relevant there.

It's a shame. I love ES. Not as detailed as BTN or stats.hockeyanalyis, but it has by far the best interface.

The Leafs are a hiring a new front off ice person in the near future per Mirtle. Maybe they acquired ES for Dubas to interpret? Dubas probably was a fan of it given the CHL connection too.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
His 3 tweets from 11 hours ago.

These?

Harrison Mooney @HarrisonMooney · 22h
So a handful of teams are quietly assembling, like, nerd rooms, y’know, like Homer’s dorm in the episode where he goes to college.

Harrison Mooney @HarrisonMooney · 22h
Hiring one stats guy is nice, but that’s like hiring one guy to write a show. A room of writers can cultivate and explore ideas together.

Harrison Mooney @HarrisonMooney · 23h
Just call me Bloggyy ********.

Harrison Mooney @HarrisonMooney · 23h
They were, and they did. RT @clayTRON8000 rumoured flames looking for another stats guy....

I don't see anything there specific to extraskater.com. I don't use twitter, so maybe I'm missing something?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The only reason I could see someone hiring this guy is that a team really likes the interface, wants to deny other teams the ease of use of extraskater and think it's cheaper/faster to just hire the guy than hire another guy that can do the same thing.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
These?

I don't see anything there specific to extraskater.com. I don't use twitter, so maybe I'm missing something?

This one too:

Harrison Mooney @HarrisonMooney · 24h
Not just one. Still more coming. RT @HappyCaraT: About a week ago @HarrisonMooney said that Twitter was going to lose another blogger.

Considering extraskater.com went offline sometime late Thursday/early Friday, it seemed clear he was talking about extraskater's creator to me.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This one too:

Harrison Mooney @HarrisonMooney · 24h
Not just one. Still more coming. RT @HappyCaraT: About a week ago @HarrisonMooney said that Twitter was going to lose another blogger.

Considering extraskater.com went offline sometime late Thursday/early Friday, it seemed clear he was talking about extraskater's creator to me.

Wyshynski and Marek had no idea what was happening. They talked about it yesterday on their podcast. Wysh said he messaged ES about it and recieved no response. If mooney knows, then they would too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The only reason I could see someone hiring this guy is that a team really likes the interface, wants to deny other teams the ease of use of extraskater and think it's cheaper/faster to just hire the guy than hire another guy that can do the same thing.

The interface is fine for a casual fan looking things up, but for a business looking to quickly pull data, they'd likely pull reports directly from the backend database using sql over going to the site. The site limits your variables for the queries far too much to really be useful in serious analysis.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Extraskater was by far the most user-friendly of them all though. BTN is a major pain in the ass to use.

Seconded and thirded. I'd go to extraskater on a whim to get a little background on a player I'm not familiar with, whereas doing that on BTN feels like the kind of undertaking you have to pack a lunch for.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They can't possibly disallow that, can they?

Scraping the sites stats creates a ton of traffic that they have to accommodate. Capgeek for example prohibits webcrawlers and screen scrappers in it's terms of use.

The most likely result is suspicious activity would result in banning the IP.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Scraping the sites stats creates a ton of traffic that they have to accommodate. Capgeek for example prohibits webcrawlers and screen scrappers in it's terms of use.

The most likely result is suspicious activity would result in banning the IP.

Well yeah, but they can write what they want into those terms of service, that doesn't mean it's actually binding for anyone. They're not really publishing original content (well, stats sites anyway), they're just listing commonly known, publicly available facts.
And the general rule of thumb is, what is openly published on the internet can also be scraped. It's not exactly rocket science to do it in a way that makes it next to I impossible for the website owner to detect it and stop you from doing it.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
As a Leafs fan I'm really excited about this analytics push, although I'm not a huge fan of a site like extraskater going away since they were a great source for information for every day fans.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Kudos to those guys but I really need a new version of Extra Skater. The other sites are ok but ES was really smooth.

LucSZ

Aug 10, 2014
I hate the Leafs so much right now. Don't take ES away from the masses!!! :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad