RIP extraskater.com?

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
If it is indeed shutdown I hope the league hired/bought them out. Imagine Corsi, etc on nhl.com....

We still have behindthenet.ca though...

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Found most of these sites exremely dense and user-unfriendly to be honest.
A site like hockeygoalies.org explains everything in-depth, which is why I have it bookmarked and constantly go back to it. Hockeygoalies also makes it much more "personal" with the goalie bios, again realising that extraskater could never do that for every single NHL player.

If the NHL does adopt the advanced stats they will finally have reached legitimacy, more or less (they have for a while now with the teams hiring bloggers but the NHL is an official platform).

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Found most of these sites exremely dense and user-unfriendly to be honest.
A site like hockeygoalies.org explains everything in-depth, which is why I have it bookmarked and constantly go back to it. Hockeygoalies also makes it much more "personal" with the goalie bios, again realising that extraskater could never do that for every single NHL player.

If the NHL does adopt the advanced stats they will finally have reached legitimacy, more or less (they have for a while now with the teams hiring bloggers but the NHL is an official platform).
Extraskater was by far the most user-friendly of them all though. BTN is a major pain in the ass to use.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Extraskater was by far the most user-friendly of them all though. BTN is a major pain in the ass to use.

I find using BTN it's easiest to go right into the URL and manually edit your criteria. The result is you can quickly get some very specific reports, and pull only what you want.

HockeyAnalysis is great for WOWY stats and multi year stats, I only went to Extra skater for game by game stuff, and QOC TOI%

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
I find using BTN it's easiest to go right into the URL and manually edit your criteria. The result is you can quickly get some very specific reports, and pull only what you want.

HockeyAnalysis is great for WOWY stats and multi year stats, I only went to Extra skater for game by game stuff, and QOC TOI%

And until recently, Extra Skater only had stats for 2012 and later. BTN has been tracking since 2007.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Weird that it would be shut down for that reason.

I'm under the impression that Gabe Desjardins (behindthenet) does consulting for multiple NHL teams and has for years.

Oh well. I was always partial to hockeyanalysis and btn, anyway. Extraskater I only used for individual game data. Any ideas where to find the latter now?

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
That sucks a lot. I really liked extra skater. I tried using BTN but it just wasn't as user friendly as extra skater. It was easy to find stats of certain player or team.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 3m
Have had a few questions about @ExtraSkater today. It was not an NHL-mandated shutdown. Maybe he was "Dellowed."

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
@FriedgeHNIC
Have had a few questions about @ExtraSkater today. It was not an NHL-mandated shutdown. Maybe he was "Dellowed."

Damnit... lol

@behindthenet
@mirtle @JonathanWillis whiners. Step up and improve my UI, you HTML ballers, I'll pay you.

For all you internet coding wizards...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Blackhawks followed him/her on Twitter. Now, that would be scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad