RIP extraskater.com?

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Good for the Leafs.
But the amount of hate that will directed at them and the fans for taking away one of the best stats site will not be nice.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Good for the Leafs.
But the amount of hate that will directed at them and the fans for taking away one of the best stats site will not be nice.

Well, sensible people would be happy for the great career move that this is for the guy behind extraskater.com.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think the best part is that these people are all going to work under Dave Nonis after they've all said at one point or another that he's an idiot.

Probably won't be working under Dave Nonis for long.

There is a revolution happening. Better hope your team is part of it. You don't want to live in a world where the Leafs are thinking more progressively than you are.

As far as the website, scuttlebutt seems to be that something crowd-funded if in the offing to replace the site.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I think the best part is that these people are all going to work under Dave Nonis after they've all said at one point or another that he's an idiot.

Probably won't be working under Dave Nonis for long.

There is a revolution happening. Better hope your team is part of it. You don't want to live in a world where the Leafs are thinking more progressively than you are.

As far as the website, scuttlebutt seems to be that something crowd-funded if in the offing to replace the site.

I think this is Dubas picking his guys for when the inevitable happens and he replaces Nonis.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Well, sensible people would be happy for the great career move that this is for the guy behind extraskater.com.

Well sensible people can differentiate between what the team has done vs the person getting the job.
I'm sure it was the team that wanted all the info taken down. It could have all be left up and just not updated.
It great someone who started a site like that has gotten a job. But the fact that a team is now going to try to control all the info from said site going back years isn't.
Anyone that holds any animosity towards him is not smart but I can see where it can and will against the team.

badtakemachine

Dec 20, 2002
So... is scraping data from NHL.com still allowed then? If so, it really isn't that difficult to write a script to parse through the HTML version of the NHL.com game sheets, convert each entry to a row in a database, and have access to the same old stats. Not to worry.

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
Pretty pissed about ES going away. BTN's interface is just terrible.

Hoping for a good replacement by the start of the season..but I'm not holding my breath.

Ventana*

This is a good chance to make a site and have a paid subscription for the exact same stats. People would buy it.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
This is a good chance to make a site and have a paid subscription for the exact same stats. People would buy it.

Considering the community is looking to build something open-source to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen in the future, it looks like the concept is going in the opposite direction entirely.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Does anyone know of a site that's similar to Extra Skater in style? Because the set-up of that site was so good that I didn't even look for any other sites.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
NHL.com made some changes to the rules surround harvesting of data from its site, which ES uses. Maybe NHL.com purchases ES, or gets the right to use it, and interagrates ES to be a one stop shop for stats.

Cant see the motivation behind the TML shutting down ES for good, as similiar stats are available on BTN.

I can see why they shut down Charrons blog posts, similar to the Oilers with Dellow, as that has detailed work regarding team faults available to anyone or any team.

I dont think ES will be shut down for good. Also, seeing the growing popularity of advanced stats, I could see investments made to upgrade BTN, or create a similar site

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad