RIP Bobby "the Brain" Heenan

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
A part of my childhood is now gone.Thank you Bobby,for the years of constant pleasure and laughter you have bought us all.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
R.I.P. legend. Absolutely hated him as a kid,which means he was great. As I got older I enjoyed him for his quick wit.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I always enjoyed Heenan's managing and announcing. One of the best ever on both fronts. It's very impressive that he was essentially the top heel during the Hulk Hogan era despite not being a wrestler.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Man, I loved the Brain. Best reason to ever watch Prime Time growing up.

I still say him coming on holding the NWA belt announcing Flair coming to the WWF was the most shocking moment in wrestling history (this was long before internet spoilers, mind you).

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Greatest heel announcer ever. Easily better than King, and for me better than Jessie too.

Most likely the best heel manager ever as well.

This is not fair to Flair

Absolutely. Jesse was great but often felt forced. King grew old fast in the attitude era, to me at least, and though I didn't dislike him he wasn't on the same planet as Heenan.

Heenan, oh man how I loved that guy. He and Piper were the first heels I can remember liking as a kid in '80s for obvious reasons.

Ozz
05-30-2014, 05:09 PM
"...just a bunch of grown men blowing vacuum cleaners" - Heenan putting down (face) Roddy Piper's live bagpipe intro sometime in the early '90s. Heenan had so many good ones but that one always killed me.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Ugh had no idea he was in bad shape. My favorite commentator of all time. So witty and smart this sucks.

He has been battling throat cancer for probably 15 years now. I think he was diagnosed a few months after WCW shut down.

I never saw him in his prime, but from what I have seen and read, he was a real legend. Plus he seems like one of the few guys in wrestling everyone really liked.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
He has been battling throat cancer for probably 15 years now. I think he was diagnosed a few months after WCW shut down.

I never saw him in his prime, but from what I have seen and read, he was a real legend. Plus he seems like one of the few guys in wrestling everyone really liked.

If you're into any old stuff, he makes it worth digging up some videos to watch just to listen to him.

Another gem that always cracks me up, when he was ragging on Hacksaw. Gorilla said something like, "I'll have you know he went to (whatever college)" and Heenan seemed to legit laugh and say "Oh WOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!". Even the Saturday morning shows packed 50% full of jobbers were awesome because of The Brain (and Gorilla).

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

I was obviously wrong but for some reason I thought he overcame the cancer, must have just been in my own head.

And yes, just go back and youtube some Heenan, he was so damn witty it was unbelievable. 92 Rumble would be a good watch as well.

GongShowWilly

time to pay the Piper
Jan 25, 2016
Alberta
my favorite was Survivor Series , when the Harts wrestled Shawn Michaels and his knights

such a great heel , even as a Hart fan , had me laughing

Vince: There are 20 Hart family members here at ringside tonight.
Bobby: And Helen just gave birth to 8 of them.
Vince: Stu Hart last wrestled at the Boston Garden in 1945.
Bobby: No you're wrong about that. 1845. He was at the tail end of his career.
Bobby: Ray, you know the movie Sleepless in Seattle starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan? Stu and Helen are going to remake the movie. They're going to meet eye to eye over a bowl of prunes and call it Senile in Seattle.
Bobby: Excuse me one minute. (yelling) Hey Stu (Hart), wake up! He fell asleep.
Vince: He's gonna wake up. He's gonna come over here, Bobby.
Bobby: That'll take two hours. We'll be off the air.
Bobby: (On Bruce Hart) His name is Bruce, right? What a stupid name. You have nine months, and you come up with "Bruce"?
Bobby: (On being told Keith Hart is a fireman) Keith is a fireman? He's more like the spotted dog that rides on the back of the truck!
Bobby: (On the hooded Blue Knight) This Blue Knight's really put together, huh? I know who he is!
Vince: Alright, who is he?
Bobby: Oh, I can't tell YOU.
Combs: Say Bobby, I think you should wear a mask like the Knights.
Bobby: I should?
Combs: Uh huh, as a public service.
Bobby: You know, the Hart family is known as the cowards of Canada.
Vince: What do you mean, the cowards of Canada?
Bobby: That's just what I hear from people.
Bobby: (On Stu Hart) I asked Stu earlier, I asked him, you gotta be proud of your boys. He said, "I have boys?"
Bobby: (Things break down in the ring and everyone starts fighting) Oh, it's just like dinner time at the Hart house.
Bobby: Now, wouldn't you classify 20 members of the Hart family living together as a ghetto?
Bobby: Stu just yelled over to Helen, "Helen, I'm damp". What does that mean?
Vince: Bobby Heenan, you're a bad man. You owe the entire Hart family an apology, as well as our audience.
Bobby: (The Red Knight kicks the fireman Keith Hart away from behind) Oh! He kicked the fireman right in his backdraft!
Combs: (On Keith Hart) You know, that little man out there is man who goes out and risks his life every day.
Bobby: Eating dinner at the Hart house is risking your life every day!
Bobby: I hope the director doesn't show the Hart family anymore.
Vince: Why's that?
Bobby: The phone'll be ringing off the hook over at America's Most Wanted!
Combs: I think they oughta start a show for you family.
Bobby: Oh yeah? What would they call it?
Combs: America's Most Unwanted.
Bobby: You know, all the Hart daughters look like the mom. I mean, the same age, like they're going on 85, 87...
Vince: You are an unkind man, Bobby Heenan.
Bobby: Her face could hold an 8 day rain with all those wrinkles!
Bobby: (On Stu Hart's jacket, which has a picture of a bear on the back) Oh look! He's got a picture of Helen on the back of his jacket, isn't that nice...

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
v71YLl8.gif

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
my favorite was Survivor Series , when the Harts wrestled Shawn Michaels and his knights

such a great heel , even as a Hart fan , had me laughing

Vince: There are 20 Hart family members here at ringside tonight.
Bobby: And Helen just gave birth to 8 of them.
Vince: Stu Hart last wrestled at the Boston Garden in 1945.
Bobby: No you're wrong about that. 1845. He was at the tail end of his career.
Bobby: Ray, you know the movie Sleepless in Seattle starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan? Stu and Helen are going to remake the movie. They're going to meet eye to eye over a bowl of prunes and call it Senile in Seattle.
Bobby: Excuse me one minute. (yelling) Hey Stu (Hart), wake up! He fell asleep.
Vince: He's gonna wake up. He's gonna come over here, Bobby.
Bobby: That'll take two hours. We'll be off the air.
Bobby: (On Bruce Hart) His name is Bruce, right? What a stupid name. You have nine months, and you come up with "Bruce"?
Bobby: (On being told Keith Hart is a fireman) Keith is a fireman? He's more like the spotted dog that rides on the back of the truck!
Bobby: (On the hooded Blue Knight) This Blue Knight's really put together, huh? I know who he is!
Vince: Alright, who is he?
Bobby: Oh, I can't tell YOU.
Combs: Say Bobby, I think you should wear a mask like the Knights.
Bobby: I should?
Combs: Uh huh, as a public service.
Bobby: You know, the Hart family is known as the cowards of Canada.
Vince: What do you mean, the cowards of Canada?
Bobby: That's just what I hear from people.
Bobby: (On Stu Hart) I asked Stu earlier, I asked him, you gotta be proud of your boys. He said, "I have boys?"
Bobby: (Things break down in the ring and everyone starts fighting) Oh, it's just like dinner time at the Hart house.
Bobby: Now, wouldn't you classify 20 members of the Hart family living together as a ghetto?
Bobby: Stu just yelled over to Helen, "Helen, I'm damp". What does that mean?
Vince: Bobby Heenan, you're a bad man. You owe the entire Hart family an apology, as well as our audience.
Bobby: (The Red Knight kicks the fireman Keith Hart away from behind) Oh! He kicked the fireman right in his backdraft!
Combs: (On Keith Hart) You know, that little man out there is man who goes out and risks his life every day.
Bobby: Eating dinner at the Hart house is risking your life every day!
Bobby: I hope the director doesn't show the Hart family anymore.
Vince: Why's that?
Bobby: The phone'll be ringing off the hook over at America's Most Wanted!
Combs: I think they oughta start a show for you family.
Bobby: Oh yeah? What would they call it?
Combs: America's Most Unwanted.
Bobby: You know, all the Hart daughters look like the mom. I mean, the same age, like they're going on 85, 87...
Vince: You are an unkind man, Bobby Heenan.
Bobby: Her face could hold an 8 day rain with all those wrinkles!
Bobby: (On Stu Hart's jacket, which has a picture of a bear on the back) Oh look! He's got a picture of Helen on the back of his jacket, isn't that nice...

Awesome stuff. Lawler just a little while after that was great too. Heenan stood ot less on commentary in WCW, probably the result of the insanity going on behind the scenes, but he did lend an air of professionalism and heft to the proceedings that was sorely needed.

As for Vince announcing, never forget the BAAAAAAAAAAAACK BODYDROP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad