Riley Sheahan is a major disappointment

Oct 18, 2006
Guy has regressed so much this season, staggering to think how many steps backwards he has taken.

67 games, 9 goals, 7 assists. SEVEN ASSISTS.

He's not even playing physical, he's not playing with any speed, and his FO% is the lowest of any season he's played.

What is the deal? I had such high hopes, thought he could be a 20-20 power forward, well looks I was wrong. He looks invisible out there.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
The whole team has pretty much regressed from last season, but you're right, Sheahan is doing absolutely NOTHING out there. A complete non factor.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
He was carried by Nyquist and Tatar his first season as well as it being a small sample size. I think we overhyped him simply because he put up very good numbers as a rookie but that was mostly due to Datsyuk and Zetterberg being out the majority of his games.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
He was carried by Nyquist and Tatar his first season as well as it being a small sample size. I think we overhyped him simply because he put up very good numbers as a rookie but that was mostly due to Datsyuk and Zetterberg being out the majority of his games.

This.

He's doing exactly what most had him pegged to do as an NHLer

Oct 18, 2006
True, but the guy back then played with some intensity, it looked like the game meant something to him. I guess playing with a point to prove will do that, but right now he looks like he doesn't care. He's invisible, bringing absolutely nothing to the table whatsoever.

I just don't get it. I seriously thought he was trending to become a 2C; he can't even stake a claim for a 3C right now.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

He had 24 points in 42 games as a rookie, then 36 points last season.

And it's not even just the lack of production. Last season I constantly noticed him on the ice, in a good way. Being physical. Being a puckhound.

I honestly generally hate this phrase but his compete level has fallen way off.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I would put Jurco//Pulkkinen//Sheahan//AA all in the same category right now.

"Need to prove you are an NHLer"

AA younger expected to be in this group. Pulk's rookie year... also expected to be in this group.

Jurco and Sheahan should be a step up from this group, but they are not.
I agree, his icetime should be just as much on the block as Jurco and Pulks.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Also should note he never put up good numbers in the AHL. So he is kinda an NHL success only. He wont be able to have many more seasons like this before bad things happen to his position.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
He had 24 points in 42 games as a rookie, then 36 points last season.

And it's not even just the lack of production. Last season I constantly noticed him on the ice, in a good way. Being physical. Being a puckhound.

I honestly generally hate this phrase but his compete level has fallen way off.

Well he has over twice as many hits this season as he did last season in less games so I'm not sure what to tell you. Only obvious differences stats seem to indicate is that he's shooting worse this year and not getting any power play points like he picked up last season. I'd bet you could go down the list and say the same thing for almost every player on this team.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yeah, I don't really get him. He needs to figure out who he is. He's not physical at all, he's not a dynamo offensively, and he's not a stand-out defensively. He's just kind of there....Like most of the guys on this roster though.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Well he has over twice as many hits this season as he did last season in less games so I'm not sure what to tell you. Only obvious differences stats seem to indicate is that he's shooting worse this year and not getting any power play points like he picked up last season. I'd bet you could go down the list and say the same thing for almost every player on this team.

I don't put a ton of stock in the hits stat given anything can be considered a hit.

To be clear, I'm a Sheahan fan. I just hoped he'd take a step forward this season rather than a step back like most players on the team.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don't put a ton of stock in the hits stat given anything can be considered a hit.

To be clear, I'm a Sheahan fan. I just hoped he'd take a step forward this season rather than a step back like most players on the team.

I don't either but considering it's twice as many...I'd say that's pretty telling that he is hitting as much. Probably just not making the smart hits like he used to. I'm annoyed he's not as effective either though.

J-Swift

Jan 5, 2006
Has a Riley Sheahan body-check ever knocked a player to the ice?

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Hindsight is always 20/20, but I would rather they drafted Kuznetsov or Faulk. I recall that I'd been hoping they selected Kuznetsov then as well, but it was likely at the height of NHL anti-Russian sentiment.

Blashill is still really high on his potential, I hope he's right.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He hasn't played 3 full seasons, so I would chalk this up as a 'sophomore slump' more than anything else.

Tatar, Sheahan, Nyquist, Jurco, Pulk and probably a few other guys have been beyond disappointing this season. I don't want to make Sheahan the official whipping boy when most of the other young guns on the team are slumping too.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think he is a very misunderstood player in a lot of ways. He is not a player that drives the play of his line or that routinely transports the puck or plays with the puck on his stick for great stretches. He is much more of a safe, complimentary player. He is capable of making many very quick skilled plays, especially in tight spaces. He is not, however, and will never be, the type of guy that will have the puck on his stick for 15 seconds and beat two guys one-on-one.

Sheahan's biggest issue is his acceleration. His style of play very much reflects the fact that he has heavy feet. Because he is slow to get going, you don't see him transporting the puck a ton in the neutral zone. I also think that it impacts his willingness to hit and be physically engaged. I suspect he hits so much less than he did in college because he doesn't want to risk taking himself out of the play. As soon as you hit someone, your feet are stopped and you need to get them going again. That isn't a big deal if you successfully force a turn over in the offensive zone. When the play goes the other way, however, you are really SOL. I sometimes wonder what he would look like on a team more committed to cycling the puck.

I too am disappointed that he hasn't been more effective this season. I really expected him to take another step forward. Truth be told, however, I am down on about 95% of this roster this season, so it is hard for me to get too bent out of shape at Riley specifically.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
He hasn't played 3 full seasons, so I would chalk this up as a 'sophomore slump' more than anything else.

Tatar, Sheahan, Nyquist, Jurco, Pulk and probably a few other guys have been beyond disappointing this season. I don't want to make Sheahan the official whipping boy when most of the other young guns on the team are slumping too.

I suppose technically if we wanted alot of cheap RFA's these horrid point totals sure help us get them on cheap deals??! :naughty:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Sheahan hasn't really looked bad is the weird thing. His numbers are sort of victim to everyone else's terrible production as well. If we can finally upgrade the blue line with some mobile defensemen who can eat some minutes, he will probably look better. Sheahan isn't a strong possession player, but he isn't terrible either, if his line can establish possession, he's obviously a much more dynamic force with his size and reasonably soft hands. Problem is, which is the most glaring issue on the team, the defense can't break out or break through the neutral zone.

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
Ive never seen so much dead weight on this team as this years lineup has. Sheahan is playing subpar for his expectations, but even his expectations werent that high- at least I never pegged him as a 40 pt guy. The guy was looking to be a 3C at best imo. I wouldnt have been suprised if he never even made Detroits lineup. Considering how much we lack talent though, I suppose thats why theres room.

Everyone on this team is playing under their potential except for Datsyuk, Larkin and Mrazek. Danny Dekeyser is one who I had high hopes for, but has obviously been less than stellar this year. Kronwall, Richards, Z, Nyquist, Tatar, all our top pairing guys are playing like plugs. The fact their production is bad is a result of their play, rather than the determining factor of my views.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Meh. I still think he goes back to himself next year

If jurco had linemates that could shoot he would be good. And use his shot more

Sheahan doesn't really have linemates that put the puck in either

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
As I've stated many times Sheahan might not be in the NHL in 3 years. He has no standout qualities to his game and doesn't have the intensity or physicality to play a grinding game that can keep lesser skilled players in the league. That #2 center projection some had for him after his first season was extremely optimistic given most projected his ceiling as a checking center coming out of Notre Dame. I know one thing...there is nothing about him that suggests he's anything close to a core piece as some have posted. He's a dime a dozen player with a low ceiling. Both he and Pulks are fringe NHL players...and that's being generous because frankly I don't see much of an NHL future for either player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad