Prospect Info: Riley Kidney, LHC, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL ), 63rd overall

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
well I just hope DSL and Mitch Brown's model for stick-handling isn't an iron clad law because otherwise this kid really stood out to me. I thought I was on drugs when more people weren't psyched by the pick. He looked as skilled as a stick-handler as I've seen the Habs draft in I don't know how long.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He feels like the type of player Danault would be if he was great on offense and meh on defense lol

Could be what weve wanted Danault to become one day but never could, an actual 2 way player but with actual offensive instincts

He looks promising for sure

Jul 6, 2016
From his highlights only (havent watch him this year at all) he seems to be the perfect centerman for Caufield, always finds his teammates on the ice, really pass oriented
Suzuki is the perfect centerman for Caufield.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You hope your head scout is happy.

Imagine drafting a kid and your head scout goes "kid f***ing sucks. We just randomized who we were going to draft and of course it landed on our joke choice"

at the NFL draft there was a video of the Eagles head scout where all the other scouts are high fiving the GM and the head scout looked like he wanted to punch him in the face.

There's that Hab draft day vid where MB tells Timmins he's trading the 2nd round pick (Timmins wanted Hillis) to trade down and the look on Timmins face says a lot. I saw a rumor on Twitter where the guy was saying he heard that MB wanted Mailloux and Timmins didn't but that could just be BS.

I just think it's more common that the head scout and GM in all sports will at times not agree on their picks, as it's just logical. He might not think the kid f***ing sucks but I'm sure plenty of times it's happened where they weren't on board with the pick.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Suzuki is still only an average skater but is strong on his stick, Kidney will need to make a greater improvement while adding significant mass.

Caufield also worked on his skating and it seemed to have done wonders for him during the playoff run. He was a decent skater in college but it was an area that needed to be focused on his first couple of seasons in Wisconsin especially for his size.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
at the NFL draft there was a video of the Eagles head scout where all the other scouts are high fiving the GM and the head scout looked like he wanted to punch him in the face.

There's that Hab draft day vid where MB tells Timmins he's trading the 2nd round pick (Timmins wanted Hillis) to trade down and the look on Timmins face says a lot. I saw a rumor on Twitter where the guy was saying he heard that MB wanted Mailloux and Timmins didn't but that could just be BS.

I just think it's more common that the head scout and GM in all sports will at times not agree on their picks, as it's just logical. He might not think the kid f***ing sucks but I'm sure plenty of times it's happened where they weren't on board with the pick.

I don't think that there is ant doubt that Timmin's has full autonomy on each selection. In Mailloux's case it is definitely more complicated but there is no evidence at all to support any disagreement on the pick. Twitter is full of human trash who are not accountable for the garbage that they invent.

I definitely agree that there are obviously differences of opinions but they are hashed out before draft day. In Montreal's case MB has full autonomy to acquire/deal picks and Timmins has full autonomy to do with them as he pleases. Bergevin simply isn't as involved in the scouting process as other GM's who were previously head scouts.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't think that there is ant doubt that Timmin's has full autonomy on each selection. In Mailloux's case it is definitely more complicated but there is no evidence at all to support any disagreement on the pick. Twitter is full of human trash who are not accountable for the garbage that they invent.

I definitely agree that there are obviously differences of opinions but they are hashed out before draft day. In Montreal's case MB has full autonomy to acquire/deal picks and Timmins has full autonomy to do with them as he pleases. Bergevin simply isn't as involved in the scouting process as other GM's who were previously head scouts.

What do you base this certainty on?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What do you base this certainty on?

It is incredibly obvious......

MB always defers to Timmins when asked about prospects and it simply is not his background. People claiming to know that MB has a say in who they fraft are without evidence. If you have ever watched any MB/Timmin's run draft it is as plain as day that MB entirely defers to Timmins at the point of selection.

GM's like Dorion or Benning who have a long scouting background may have alot more say but MB has no such background and has never been seen trying to debate any selection that Timmins has made.

The default should be that the person who is in charge of scouting is making the decisions therefore evidence would be required to prove otherwise.....not the other way around.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

MB always defers to Timmins when asked about prospects and it simply is not his background. People claiming to know that MB has a say in who they fraft are without evidence. If you have ever watched any MB/Timmin's run draft it is as plain as day that MB entirely defers to Timmins at the point of selection.

GM's like Dorion or Benning who have a long scouting background may have alot more say but MB has no such background and has never been seen trying to debate any selection that Timmins has made.

The default should be that the person who is in charge of scouting is making the decisions therefore evidence would be required to prove otherwise.....not the other way around.

The draft video they released a year ago made it clear. MB is there to make deals and try to get more picks. He has no say on the prospect. Even with Caufield, Churla (maybe it was Timmins) is the one that spoke to Julien to tell him the type of player they are taking.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I assume that's the case, I found it very interesting a few years back when Timmins said they made a mistake in going for size in 2013. I always felt like that MB put pressure or said get me big bodies. That was Churla's first draft with us as well so I've always wondered how that worked behind the scenes since MB created a position for him and I wonder if Timmins felt some heat with the hire seeing that Churla could be his replacement imo. That's why I found it so odd he would say we instead of him.

Then there's the 2015 draft were it's been said that MB told Timmins to get him a defensmen. So if true it certainly makes me wonder what goes on. I fully expect Timmins to call the shots but if MB is saying draft who you want as long as it's a defensemen, center, big body at different times. Then again maybe Timmins just agrees with him that we should go for this or that. If I was still in with Grant I could ask him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I assume that's the case, I found it very interesting a few years back when Timmins said they made a mistake in going for size in 2013. I always felt like that MB put pressure or said get me big bodies. That was Churla's first draft with us as well so I've always wondered how that worked behind the scenes since MB created a position for him and I wonder if Timmins felt some heat with the hire seeing that Churla could be his replacement imo. That's why I found it so odd he would say we instead of him.

Then there's the 2015 draft were it's been said that MB told Timmins to get him a defensmen. So if true it certainly makes me wonder what goes on. I fully expect Timmins to call the shots but if MB is saying draft who you want as long as it's a defensemen, center, big body at different times. Then again maybe Timmins just agrees with him that we should go for this or that. If I was still in with Grant I could ask him.

I completely agree that MB makes parameters for Timmins and his staff to work within.....there is little doubt about that. There is certainly an organizational philosophy that correctly values dmen and centers over wingers and depending on organizational needs they narrow the internal filter to target assets such as LD/RD/RHC/LHC.

MB clearly can dictate what type of assets to acquire and Timmin's simply factors that into a BPA criteria when he uses his autonomy to decide which individual player best fits the organization's philosophy/needs.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Suzuki is still only an average skater but is strong on his stick, Kidney will need to make a greater improvement while adding significant mass.
I was a critic of Suzuki's skating in junior and he was exposed in the junior world championships. But Suzuki is one of the few players who was able to improve his straight-line speed as he became physically stronger. While he will never be mistaken for McDavid, Suzuki's combination of quickness, balance, lateral skating and improved straight-line speed has converted a weakness into a strength.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAVO16

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I was a critic of Suzuki's skating in junior and he was exposed in the junior world championships. But Suzuki is one of the few players who was able to improve his straight-line speed as he became physically stronger. While he will never be mistaken for McDavid, Suzuki's combination of quickness, balance, lateral skating and improved straight-line speed has converted a weakness into a strength.

He has improved somewhat but I would not call his straight line speed a strength or a weakness.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

yeah I first saw that 2018 vid just before this draft and it seems that MB indeed really does defer to TT.

I have to admit I was a little shocked not in a good or bad way. I just thought MB would have a bit more of a say. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

So... none.

Gotcha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad