Prospect Info: Riley Kidney, LHC, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL ), 63rd overall

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
It's funny the players you compare Kidney. We have comparing Suzuki to... Krejci and Ribeiro. Kidney say he watch Suzuki and Marner.

Reactions: Gravity

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Based on one minute of highlights, he's my favorite pick this draft.

Could very well be the steal of the draft.

No doubt. He is certainly potential to become a top 9 C in NHL with his hockey IQ, maybe more if he work on his skating. My favorite pick too.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Elite prospects (Mitch Brown, David St-Louis) are not very high on him. They've actually left him off their draft board entirely.

Some of the main points of criticism:

- doesn't use his feet when challenging defenders. Goes in straight lines or glides and does all the work with his hands. Won't translate to higher levels.

- IQ projects as average at best. If he can't slow the game down, he rushes plays and constantly makes questionable decisions with the puck.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Riley Kidney's teammate (and at times linemate) Bennet MacArthur has been invited to the Habs' rookie camp (or development camp, I don't know which).

Edit: Titan tweeted yesterday that he was invited to Arizona's rookie camp. But Stéphane Leroux tweeted this morning that he was invited at Habs' camp. So I imagine it's a Leroux mistake.

Credit to @habsprospects for pointing it out in the Prospects Thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Elite prospects (Mitch Brown, David St-Louis) are not very high on him. They've actually left him off their draft board entirely.

- doesn't use his feet when challenging defenders. Goes in straight lines or glides and does all the work with his hands. Won't translate to higher levels.

- IQ projects as average at best. If he can't slow the game down, he rushes plays and constantly makes questionable decisions with the puck.

That's why he's not a finished product and a professional organization like the Montreal Canadiens will try to develop him!

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
He said he models his game after Suzuki and Marner so no surprise with the Suzuki/Krejci comparison (Edit: beat to it by KevSkillz4).

Not using his feet when challenging defenders is always something that worries me because it's so Galchenyuk reminiscent. I really like him though and hope we got a player on our hands.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I could be wrong but didn't one of them say something very similar about Suzuki?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't know.

I'm sure at least one of them was high on Suzuki after he was drafted. I remember reading some very positive scouting reports.

I swear Brown or DSL were very skeptical about Suzuki's skill/stickhandling translating. It may have been for similar reasons. I could be wrong though.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I just realized that Acadie-Bathurst doesn't have that many of its players drafted to the NHL.

The only ones that I can name off the top of my head are Dobson and Morand.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I see the Suzuki comparison. I really like his poise and smart play.

I hear his skating needs work. I do however have the impression he has pretty good agility and edgeworks.
It’s probably why he wasn’t picked as high because the kid just seems sharp…..skating you can work on, hockey IQ not as much

my second favourite prospect after Mailloux

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
It’s probably why he wasn’t picked as high because the kid just seems sharp…..skating you can work on, hockey IQ not as much

my second favourite prospect after Mailloux

Yes some are able to get faster, but some are just not able to. Just look at Perry and Toffoli they are slow and always will be

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad