Prospect Info: Riley Kidney, LHC, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL ), 63rd overall

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
FWIW I think there's been legit improvements in his overall game and physical fitness, I noticed him a lot more at this year's camp than the two previous ones combined, even though he was never put on a line with vets to help make him look good. The problem is that he shines most in the sequences where he has the puck in the offensive zone and lots of space around him, which in the pros becomes a very rare commodity. He still needs to get a lot better at what every NHL forward outside of the absolute elite spends 95% of their minutes doing.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If they could find Swiss teams for both, I think
that is a good option. Less games, and less travel.
much better for working on getting stronger. And
Kidney improving skating, and Mesar his shot.
But I don't know if this exists. at this time of year.
Davidson looked a lot better in camp than Mesar. If he does go Swiss league sounds like Mesar is a long term project

Reactions: Habs

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Davidson looked a lot better in camp than Mesar. If he does go Swiss league sounds like Mesar is a long term project
Davidson is already a good player at AHL level in my eyes.
I'm concerned AHL is too strong for Mesar and maybe
Kidney. One season in Swiss league may be enough
to get them strong for the A.
Yes, I think they are both players you have to "project".
But I think Mesar's style of play may ultimatley work
better at the NHL level.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
There was speculation on these boards, even by me, that Kidney may start in the ECHL. To quote Raiden, I don't think so. I guess there's no adaptation period for him. Maybe we overdid it by signing Andersson, Maillet, and Stephens.
Took me a second with the Raiden quote. Nice!

Kidney looked good whenever I saw him at camp. I honestly think even 4th line AHL would be better than ECHL. He likely torches that league. Getting stronger and seeing what is required from a pro is more important. I wouldn’t be surprised if he works his way up the line up anyways.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Davidson is already a good player at AHL level in my eyes.
I'm concerned AHL is too strong for Mesar and maybe
Kidney. One season in Swiss league may be enough
to get them strong for the A.
Yes, I think they are both players you have to "project".
But I think Mesar's style of play may ultimatley work
better at the NHL level.
Yup, Euro league was good for Tourigny, maybe Mesar follow same route.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Took me a second with the Raiden quote. Nice!

Kidney looked good whenever I saw him at camp. I honestly think even 4th line AHL would be better than ECHL. He likely torches that league. Getting stronger and seeing what is required from a pro is more important. I wouldn’t be surprised if he works his way up the line up anyways.
4 th line in the AHL is usually quite physical? Has he bulked up this summer? He has excellent vision and great hands, he does well playing with shooters.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
There was speculation on these boards, even by me, that Kidney may start in the ECHL. To quote Raiden, I don't think so. I guess there's no adaptation period for him. Maybe we overdid it by signing Andersson, Maillet, and Stephens.

I mean, that Marlies roster wasn't great. Lots of rookies, no size. Basically perfect match for Kidney.

Reactions: Sagikev and jrom

Jul 6, 2016
You need some vets at AHL level to surround the kids. I would had prefer Belzile and Richard, even Teasdale, and they lost Dubé too.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
You need some vets at AHL level to surround the kids. I would had prefer Belzile and Richard, even Teasdale, and they lost Dubé too.
Yeah, I meant more that all three are natural centers. They basically created a jam up the center with several center prospects coming in in Davidson, Kidney, and Mysak still waiting for ice time. Perhaps they didn't think much of Mysak or Davidson. It seems like they wanted vet centers to work with the plethora of winger talent. If Heinemen and Ylonen both make the Habs, suddenly there aren't enough wingers and too many centers. I guess it's not really an issue for guys to play wing since most of them won't be centers in the NHL. Simoneau already coverted to wing as did Condotta.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He had a stretch early on for about 12 games where he was scoring and generating chances and then went 31 games without a goal. He has a G and an A in the past couple games though. I swear he looks 12.
12? I think you’re understating how young this kid looks. I suspect it will be 12 years before he starts shaving.

Kidney has some talent, but I think Florian Xhekaj has already passed him on the organizational depth chart.

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad