Prospect Info: Riley Heidt, C, 64th Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
PG finally lost a game , against Iginla and Cristall's team, 2-1. Heidt assisted on the 1 goal, but could've easily had three more points, as players were missing wide open nets from 2' away, and the goalie made some outstanding saves. Heidt also missed a wide open net, albeit from 20' away and in sort of an awkward position.

In some ways I'd like to see him hold onto the puck more, but the way he moves the puck very quickly, and accurately, should play well in higher leagues, where time and space is limited.

Like a lot of prospects, I'd like him to get bigger and stronger. He'll never be more than an average sized player, but there is a big strength difference between a Konecny and Donato, even though they are about the same size. His skating looks above average at the WHL level, but not jaw droppingly so. With some work, and strength gains, he should be at least an average NHL skater.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
PG finally lost a game , against Iginla and Cristall's team, 2-1. Heidt assisted on the 1 goal, but could've easily had three more points, as players were missing wide open nets from 2' away, and the goalie made some outstanding saves. Heidt also missed a wide open net, albeit from 20' away and in sort of an awkward position.

In some ways I'd like to see him hold onto the puck more, but the way he moves the puck very quickly, and accurately, should play well in higher leagues, where time and space is limited.

Like a lot of prospects, I'd like him to get bigger and stronger. He'll never be more than an average sized player, but there is a big strength difference between a Konecny and Donato, even though they are about the same size. His skating looks above average at the WHL level, but not jaw droppingly so. With some work, and strength gains, he should be at least an average NHL skater.
He’s going to be as good as his strength will take him. His skating is good enough. There’s real skill there, but you’re right. There’s a large gap in the range of outcomes for a guy with his profile.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anyone who thinks his skating is a problem should look at his first goal.

Was also impressed to see him playing in front of the net in his own end... on one play he saved a goal by tying up an opponent from 5' away. The guy plays both ways, withing reason, and isn't afraid of playing inside. Also has a vg idea of where his teammates are and is great at getting the puck to them quickly. Cristall, OTOH...now that's a net sucking floater.

Was impressed with Iginla. Not massively so, but he plays in heavy traffic, makes good decisions... strong for the WHL, at least. Wouldn't hate it if we picked him, though he's not first on my list.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Well just going to say:

Alex DeBrincat had 2 productive junior years + 1 great post draft year then become scored 52 points in 82 NHL games.
Seth Jarvis had a good post draft year then scored 40 points in 68 games.

Heidt had a great post draft year - just saying...lets get the kids in next year - Ohgren, Yurov, Heidt, Khusnutdinov :D

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Heidt’s strength is going to be an issue in the NHL next year imo. Jarvis has wheels and is a bit thicker in the lower half. Debrincat… who knows.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Heidt’s strength is going to be an issue in the NHL next year imo. Jarvis has wheels and is a bit thicker in the lower half. Debrincat… who knows.
Was really surprised at how Jarvis overcame his size so early in his NHL career. Heidt looks to be a bit bigger at the same time in their respective development, but doesn't scream NHL to me, at this point. It's unfortunate that it's either the NHL or WHL, as he he is ready for a level above the WHL, but probably not the NHL.

I hope they bring him up for 9 games. If nothing else, it will give him an idea of where he needs to improve his game going forward, rather than him being content with scoring 2 + P/pg in the WHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad