Value of: Right Shot Dman Troy Stecher to your team

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
That’s not sweet enough to move eriksson

agreed, im just saying i would accept that.

And we never know , there might be a team who thinks highly of Stecher than other do.

Erikssonn also isnt owed a lot of money, somehting like 1.5 mil per year for 2 yrs. Might be enough for a team like Ottawa to take his high cap, low dollar contract to get Stecher for free.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
agreed, im just saying i would accept that.

And we never know , there might be a team who thinks highly of Stecher than other do.

Erikssonn also isnt owed a lot of money, somehting like 1.5 mil per year for 2 yrs. Might be enough for a team like Ottawa to take his high cap, low dollar contract to get Stecher for free.

Ericksson is owed $1m for the 20/21 season and $4m for the 21/22 season

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't want to move him, but the cap may force our hand, and we have players with similar enough skill sets to justify moving him. A second? Hell yes. A third? Probably. Less then that and I'd want to move others first.

Guys motor is unreal. If we could but his energy and hustle into someone like...any one above 6'2 and 220 lbs, look out league.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
There were heavy HEAVY rumours of him being a leaf both last off season and at the deadline, in facr supposedly the only reason he's not a Leaf is because the RFA qualifying deadline passed before they got it submitted, kind of the dean Mccamond trade from years ago because that happened to.

I bet Dubas tries again
Kapanen for Stecher?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Not a chance
Well. Kerfoot and Johnsson just don’t have any value right now and TML don’t have picks in round 1 or 3. So what do you have to horse trade with? That’s a dilemma. And don’t say Kerfoot and/or Johnsson in the same sentence as a player like Stecher. That’s not the basis for a trade because Toronto comes up way short.

Reactions: Cogburn

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I feel like Stecher is probably more valuable to the Canucks as some sort of "roster filler" in a trade for a Top-4D upgrade somehow, than as a standalone trade piece. But who knows if that sort of deal actually materializes i guess.
Here is the issue for the Canucks. His cap hit currently $2.235 mill so that will be his QO and he is eligible for salary arbitration. So comes down to what it would cost to have him on the roster next season. Is it $2.5, $2.8, $3 mill? And depends if they plan on retaining Tanev. If Tanev is back Stecher would have to go as Myers is also on the roster and they have too much cap tied up in their bottom 6 F.

so for Stecher he can be a placeholder as your 2nd pair RHD as you are developing your prospects. He’s not a second pair guy on a quality playoff team. So he’s getting too pricey for good teams unless they have cap space, like a Colorado. Most teams like a TB, STL, Bos, can’t afford that on their bottom pair.

so if Stecher is looking for money which he should he likely ends up (as a ufa) in a year signing with a weaker team and being that placeholder Dman and then moving on when the young D matures and takes his spot.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well. Kerfoot and Johnsson just don’t have any value right now and TML don’t have picks in round 1 or 3. So what do you have to horse trade with? That’s a dilemma. And don’t say Kerfoot and/or Johnsson in the same sentence as a player like Stecher. That’s not the basis for a trade because Toronto comes up way short.

I never said I wanted Stecter, I personally am not that interested, although he is an upgrade but he's not the guy I'd target, I said he's been targeted before and he's been inches away from being a Leaf before so he will probably be targeted again, I sure as hell wouldn't trade Kapanen for him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Here is the issue for the Canucks. His cap hit currently $2.235 mill so that will be his QO and he is eligible for salary arbitration. So comes down to what it would cost to have him on the roster next season. Is it $2.5, $2.8, $3 mill? And depends if they plan on retaining Tanev. If Tanev is back Stecher would have to go as Myers is also on the roster and they have too much cap tied up in their bottom 6 F.

so for Stecher he can be a placeholder as your 2nd pair RHD as you are developing your prospects. He’s not a second pair guy on a quality playoff team. So he’s getting too pricey for good teams unless they have cap space, like a Colorado. Most teams like a TB, STL, Bos, can’t afford that on their bottom pair.

so if Stecher is looking for money which he should he likely ends up (as a ufa) in a year signing with a weaker team and being that placeholder Dman and then moving on when the young D matures and takes his spot.

That's where i think the solution that makes the most sense for the Canucks...would be to try to "consolidate" that prospective salary, from Tanev and Stecher...into a single, defensive upgrade. Somehow.

And where Stecher is like you said, exactly the sort of "placeholder" 2nd pairing D on what should be a reasonably cheap deal, to play there and set an example for effort if nothing else. That's the sort of piece that you move as the "roster filler" piece in a deal to trade for a Top-4D. Because a team trading a Top-4D for futures and the sort of pieces the Canucks would have to offer...is going to be in some phase of that "rebuilding" process, where a guy like Stecher can slide in and play minutes.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I never said I wanted Stecter, I personally am not that interested, although he is an upgrade but he's not the guy I'd target, I said he's been targeted before and he's been inches away from being a Leaf before so he will probably be targeted again, I sure as hell wouldn't trade Kapanen for him.
If Benning can find a trade for Stecher it will be for a draft pick. Canucks can’t add more salary.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I think there will be lots of interest on a guy like Stecher if he was made available in the trade market. There were supposodely lots of interest on him at the trade deadline, i dont know how that would change now especially when the cap is flat and he will be making under 3 mil.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

fair enough. And I like Kapanen. He’s a solid trade chip. But what does he buy TML? No where near a Brodin or Dumba? Who’s below that you’d want he could fetch?

he’s not RHD, but as an Avs fan, I wouldn’t trade you Graves straight up for Kapenan.

so I’m curious. What does Kapenan buy you in a hockey trade?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
fair enough. And I like Kapanen. He’s a solid trade chip. But what does he buy TML? No where near a Brodin or Dumba? Who’s below that you’d want he could fetch?

he’s not RHD, but as an Avs fan, I wouldn’t trade you Graves straight up for Kapenan.

Adam Larsson with a small plus added to Kap. Some Oilers fans are good with that.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
No way is Stecher worth Kapanen...sorry.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I don't know that depends on who is on the market, but you can package him for better than Stecter

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I don't know that depends on who is on the market, but you can package him for better than Stecter

Package Kapanen with what? Your 2nd round pick in 2020? Robertson? His ELC is too valuable to Dubas. Gonna skip the 2020 draft? The 2021 picks are not particularly valued given it’s a weak draft and a long ways off.

I think a lot of teams would want a Kapenan and would part with an asset of interest to Toronto.

I can think of virtually none that want him plus Kerfoot or Johnsson without sending back a contract Dubas won’t want as part of the return.

That’s why I said hockey trade. TML doesn’t have any farm players of interest if you take Sandin and Robertson off the table. You don’t have 2020 picks. Not a lot to work with. I suppose you could add a Dermott but does that make the team better? He’d be missed a little.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Package Kapanen with what? Your 2nd round pick in 2020? Robertson? His ELC is too valuable to Dubas. Gonna skip the 2020 draft? The 2021 picks are not particularly valued given it’s a weak draft and a long ways off.

I think a lot of teams would want a Kapenan and would part with an asset of interest to Toronto.

I can think of virtually none that want him plus Kerfoot or Johnsson without sending back a contract Dubas won’t want as part of the return.

That’s why I said hockey trade. TML doesn’t have any farm players of interest if you take Sandin and Robertson off the table. You don’t have 2020 picks. Not a lot to work with. I suppose you could add a Dermott but does that make the team better? He’d be missed a little.

Like another poster mentioned Kapanen and Larsson is something that works, true term is a concern but Larsson is an ideal add

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Like another poster mentioned Kapanen and Larsson is something that works, true term is a concern but Larsson is an ideal add
But does Edmonton part with a top 4 defender to add a middle six winger and PK player?

Maybe. I’ll remember you if the trade goes down. What did their fans say to the proposal? What plus did they want? Imo. The trade favors TML value wise so I’m curious what their side said.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
But does Edmonton part with a top 4 defender to add a middle six winger and PK player?

Maybe. I’ll remember you if the trade goes down. What did their fans say to the proposal? What plus did they want?

A lot of them are on board with it, in fact both fan bases have been beating that drum for over a year.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Probably Adam Larsson and there’s been plenty of mutual interest from both sides. I wouldn’t mind a deal of Johnsson + Kapanen for Larsson + Kharia

Leafs get their shutdown RD and a pk grit 4th liner. We take a little more cap from Toronto but add 2 mid 6 skilled wingers.

Reactions: Liferleafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad