Value of: Right Shot Dman Troy Stecher to your team

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
26 years old Right Shot Dman. Mobile puck mover and skates very well. Very responsible defensively and has a motor and work ethic that just doesnt quit. Probably hardest hustling all effort Canuck.

Kills penalties and QB'd the 2nd unit PP for the Canucks during their down years.

IMO Stecher is a 2nd/3rd pairing Dman.

He did very well a few season's ago when he was the Canucks top pairing Dman with Edler. However i wouldnt recommend trading for Stecher and thinking of putting him in your top Dpair.

He has a muffin of a slapshot which limits his powerplay capabilities and he is undersized at 5'10, 190lbs.
He tends to struggle vs the heavier teams but does well vs good skating teams. He would be an ideal fit for a big team that can insulate him in the roster and even pair him with a solid stay at home, bigger dman.

Stecher has an NCAA championship and is a local boy which makes it difficult to move him. He is also bff's with Boeser whom he won an NCAA championship with in North Dakota. The players rave about Stecher's off ice personaltiy and attitude and he is very well liked in the community.

Lots of circulating during the TDL that there were trades in place for Stecher and many teams were interested in him but the Canucks didnt pull the trigger. I believe 12+ teams were also very interested in Stecher when he was a free agent signing out of North Dakota before ultimately choosing his home town team

I believe the Canucks need to balance out their roster as they have small skilled players in the lineup already. Particularly in the D-core where they have Q Hughes and an up and coming Jack Rathbone. Both of which are undersized. I dont think the Canucks will want to be build a Dcore consisting of 3 guys under 6 feet.

Does any team think they would be interested in Stecher. RFA status.

Looking to re-coup some draft picks or add Stecher as a sweetner to move some bad contracts ( Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, )

offer away tho with what you'd think youre team could give up.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
What would you want from Nashville? We have two 2nds in the top 45 picks and two 3rds this year.

I think 2nd would be a great value for Stecher.

Nashivlle looks like they have the type of team that Stecher would do well with too.

Who would you pair him up with ? Ekholm? Tinordi?

Stecher is 10x an upgrade over Yanick Weber for sure tho

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think 2nd would be a great value for Stecher.

Nashivlle looks like they have the type of team that Stecher would do well with too.

Who would you pair him up with ? Ekholm? Tinordi?

Stecher is 10x an upgrade over Yanick Weber for sure tho

I think pairing him with Ekholm while Fabbro gets more experience would be ideal.

Reactions: Cogburn

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I think pairing him with Ekholm while Fabbro gets more experience would be ideal.

I think the Canucks would be all over the 2nd round pick offer as they dont have a 1st or a 2nd this year from the Miller and Tofolli trades.

Stecher's spot can be covered by Jordie Benn while we wait for someone like Jett Woo, Jalen Chatfield to develop into it. Or sign a depth Dman.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There were heavy HEAVY rumours of him being a leaf both last off season and at the deadline, in facr supposedly the only reason he's not a Leaf is because the RFA qualifying deadline passed before they got it submitted, kind of the dean Mccamond trade from years ago because that happened to.

I bet Dubas tries again

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think the Canucks would be all over the 2nd round pick offer as they dont have a 1st or a 2nd this year from the Miller and Tofolli trades.

Stecher's spot can be covered by Jordie Benn while we wait for someone like Jett Woo, Jalen Chatfield to develop into it. Or sign a depth Dman.

Sounds like a good deal!

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
There’s rumours he won’t be qualified because he’s an RFA with arbitration rights. Any interested team can probably hold off and exit for him to walk as a UFA.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There’s rumours he won’t be qualified because he’s an RFA with arbitration rights. Any interested team can probably hold off and exit for him to walk as a UFA.
Troy is like an ex Canuck was like last year. RFA going to get paid too much for what he brings to the team. And Hutton ended up getting 1.5 as a UFA, after the Canucks didn’t Qualify him. I honestly don’t feel Troy has any significant trade value, because of his contract status.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There were heavy HEAVY rumours of him being a leaf both last off season and at the deadline, in facr supposedly the only reason he's not a Leaf is because the RFA qualifying deadline passed before they got it submitted, kind of the dean Mccamond trade from years ago because that happened to.

I bet Dubas tries again
How does Stecher make the Leaf’s better, especially when it’s playoffs heavy hockey? I love “Troy from Richmond”. (As a young guy he often called in to local sport’s Radio to talk Canucks, and that was how the station’s introduced him.) He’s just very small, and provides little to no offence, which defaults him into a defensive role.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How does Stecher make the Leaf’s better, especially when it’s playoffs heavy hockey? I love “Troy from Richmond”. (As a young guy he often called in to local sport’s Radio to talk Canucks, and that was how the station’s introduced him.) He’s just very small, and provides little to no offence, which defaults him into a defensive role.

How does he not make them better? Cody Ceci was in the top 4

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019

Not happening. Troy will be at the very least qualified.

Canucks walked away from Hutton last year because Hutton was pumped and force fed minutes due to injuries so he could have used that asa basis for a rasie that The Canucks didnt want to pay. And good for them not doing so as there was little to interest on Hutton.

Stecher is a different story. He isnt due for a bigger raise because of a raised role. There are also tons of interest on him trade wise so the Canucks know they can move him after signing him . Not the case with Hutton

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Not happening. Troy will be at the very least qualified.

Canucks walked away from Hutton last year because Hutton was pumped and force fed minutes due to injuries so he could have used that asa basis for a rasie that The Canucks didnt want to pay. And good for them not doing so as there was little to interest on Hutton.

Stecher is a different story. He isnt due for a bigger raise because of a raised role. There are also tons of interest on him trade wise so the Canucks know they can move him after signing him . Not the case with Hutton
I guess we’ll see. I didn’t pull his out of my butt. The speculation is out there

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That’s a good point. Is Troy the type of an upgrade to improve the Leafs enough to win a playoff series?

I mean if Troy Stetcher is in the lineup instead of Marincin the Leafs probably don't lose to Columbus because unlike Marincin Troy Stetcher is actually NHL.

But the reality of the situation is 1 guy is not enough you still need a Larsson, Savard, Manson, Tanev, Brodie pick one because it really doesn't matter

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I guess we’ll see. I didn’t pull his out of my butt. The speculation is out there
How are Troy’s analytics? He clearly struggle in heavy playoff hockey, but there could be a team that wants Troy that is rebuilding. I just don’t see why any time interested would just wait until he’s a UFA.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I feel like Stecher is probably more valuable to the Canucks as some sort of "roster filler" in a trade for a Top-4D upgrade somehow, than as a standalone trade piece. But who knows if that sort of deal actually materializes i guess.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
How are Troy’s analytics? He clearly struggle in heavy playoff hockey, but there could be a team that wants Troy that is rebuilding. I just don’t see why any time interested would just wait until he’s a UFA.

Stecher has very good metrics and anylytics, its probably a main reason why Dubas liked him a lot.

I also dont think Stecher struggles with heavy hockey as much as he does if he is forced to play a top pairing or a lot of top 4 Dman role.

He was just fine vs St Louis the 1st two games when Myers was in because Stecher was playing as a the 3rd pairing RD. However when Myers went down and Stecher had to eat his minutes and role is when he started stuggling.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Stecher has very good metrics and anylytics, its probably a main reason why Dubas liked him a lot.

I also dont think Stecher struggles with heavy hockey as much as he does if he is forced to play a top pairing or a lot of top 4 Dman role.

He was just fine vs St Louis the 1st two games when Myers was in because Stecher was playing as a the 3rd pairing RD. However when Myers went down and Stecher had to eat his minutes and role is when he started stuggling.
As a Canucks fan I’d be elated if a team coughs up a pick inside of # 120 for Troy.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
As a Canucks fan I’d be elated if a team coughs up a pick inside of # 120 for Troy.

I'd probably settle for 3rd round pick at worst.

If its like a 4th rounder then id rather pass. Right Shot mobile Dmen dont grow on trees.

I'd be willing to add him as a sweetner with someone like Eriksson and get little to no return tho.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I'd probably settle for 3rd round pick at worst.

If its like a 4th rounder then id rather pass. Right Shot mobile Dmen dont grow on trees.

I'd be willing to add him as a sweetner with someone like Eriksson and get little to no return tho.

That’s not sweet enough to move eriksson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad