Prospect Info: Rielly has a chance of playing in the NHL this year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
205 lbs is an NHL ready Dman. If he can skate shoot pass and be quick mentally about it then he should play. As far as d go we dont have time to piss around, we need an upgrade now.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
...if lucic was ever able to beat him to the puck, maybe.

Not if Lucic is in the corner with it first. I'm not only talking about if they dump it in his corner and he uses his speed to swoop and get it out or make the outlet, but also when the opposition is cycling hard and he needs to plays the body on the half boards.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I feel that Rielly going back to junior will be a detriment.

He is so much better than the competition, that he will toy with opponents and pick up bad habits.

Gardiner was doing this in the AHL this year.

I would not exactly call Gardiner's stint down with the baby Leafs as toying.. there were times where he did not light it up and looked pretty average in games.

Rielly shouldn't be rushed and some seasoning down there would help him just as it did Kadri. Granted there is no Eakins to baby him along, but he'll definitely learn more than if he were to go back to junior, or stay with the big club and rot in the press box.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Not if Lucic is in the corner with it first. I'm not only talking about if they dump it in his corner and he uses his speed to swoop and get it out or make the outlet, but also when the opposition is cycling hard and he needs to plays the body on the half boards.

Rielly is 205 right now. How big do you think someone has to be to play defence? Do I really have to make a list of d-men who are smaller than that who get by just fine?

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Experts agreed that Gormley was ready...but you don't....
who? who are these experts? the experts who run the coyotes obviously didn't feel he was ready. didn't even get a cup of coffee in the nhl. so your argument there is totally bogus.

as for Spott.....he most definitely favored his own player. Rielly did nothing to cause himself to not play top pairing. I do not know what you watched but Rielly played very well, as he played both right and, left side....he played with many different D partners. He just was not used as he should have been..that is not an excuse but reality....
this defies logic and is nothing but a lame excuse for rielly's disappointing performance. he did nothing to play his way onto the top pairing, and its absolutely unreasonable to think the coach would choose not to play his best players in a tournament like that.

and, as you've chosen to ignore, even if he did "favour" murphy and give him too much ice time, there was still more than enough ice time for rielly to play top minutes in every situation.

a lame excuse that makes no sense whatsoever.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't think that tournament is going to make or break him however he did there.

who the hell cares.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Rielly is 205 right now. How big do you think someone has to be to play defence? Do I really have to make a list of d-men who are smaller than that who get by just fine?

Sure, go ahead if it is what gets you through the day.

It's not just his size but inexperience. You can give me a whole list of mighty mouse-sized D, but they aren't rookies coming into the league under fire, they are seasoned and know how to deal with body position and control which even Gardiner, although improving, still needs a lot of work on.

If you think a kid is going to be able to do this right off the bat just because he's 205, think again.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
It's laughable that people think Morgan is ready for a spot with the big club.

The numbers he put up in 24 AHL games last year were not impressive at all, and like Jake did, he needs more experience playing against grown men in an environment that won't hurt the big club. Unfortunately the AHL isn't an option yet.. so he'll be back in Moosejaw after his 9 game audition.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Sure, go ahead if it is what gets you through the day.

It's not just his size but inexperience. You can give me a whole list of mighty mouse-sized D, but they aren't rookies coming into the league under fire, they are seasoned and know how to deal with body position and control which even Gardiner, although improving, still needs a lot of work on.

I'm just confused as to what you are expecting. You want him to stay in junior until he can physically handle Lucic on the forecheck? He's probably going to be there awhile if that's the case. There's only a small handful of guys in the world who can out match him half the time.

If you think a kid is going to be able to do this right off the bat just because he's 205, think again.

No, I would never expect our highly skilled, puck rushing PPQB to take on the undisputed toughest mother****er in the league in the corners, actually, and I think its ridiculous that you think that should be party of the criteria for him making the team.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
who? who are these experts? the experts who run the coyotes obviously didn't feel he was ready. didn't even get a cup of coffee in the nhl. so your argument there is totally bogus.

this defies logic and is nothing but a lame excuse for rielly's disappointing performance. he did nothing to play his way onto the top pairing, and its absolutely unreasonable to think the coach would choose not to play his best players in a tournament like that.

and, as you've chosen to ignore, even if he did "favour" murphy and give him too much ice time, there was still more than enough ice time for rielly to play top minutes in every situation.

a lame excuse that makes no sense whatsoever.

Rather then argue with me Google what all the experts said about Gormley.....he will play this year in the NHL and look good doing so....last season was not a normal season for call ups etc...he would have made the team out of camp but there really was no real camp.

It was not is an excuse but the truth....I do not think you even watched The WJC.....you seem to have a strong opinion about someone you have not watch play....as for ice time he got in the tourney I'm not going to try to explain hockey to you....I do not have the time nor inclination to do so, I'm afraid you will have to learn on your own.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm just confused as to what you are expecting. You want him to stay in junior until he can physically handle Lucic on the forecheck? He's probably going to be there awhile if that's the case. There's only a small handful of guys in the world who can out match him half the time.

No, I would never expect our highly skilled, puck rushing PPQB to take on the undisputed toughest mother****er in the league in the corners, actually, and I think its ridiculous that you think that should be party of the criteria for him making the team.

Excuses that he is not ready to take on a Lucic in the corner is nuts.....in most cases if they dump the puck in he will have the puck moving up ice before physical contact can take place.....he is going to improve our breakouts a whole lot....skate it out or make the great first pass. He will not make many hard around the boards attempts with the puck.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Plus he'd have to deal with Phaneuf as well. I can see a Rielly - Phaneuf pair working quite well. A physical guy with a smooth skater and, arguably, one of the best blue lines in the NHL.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...petter-granberg-makes-an-impression-on-leafs/

One player, in particular, stood out. He was steady in his own end, physical when he needed to be and generally looked like a man among boys. According to Morrison, he was about as NHL-ready as they come.

His name is Petter Granberg. And if you do not yet know the name, you soon will. Granberg, who turns 21 next month, has won a world junior championship, a world hockey championship and a Swedish Elite League title with Skelleftea, all in the last 18 months. He is looking to build on that success with the Leafs.

I think Granberg might be a better fit with Phaneuf and is a right handed shot as well.

Carlyle prefers low-risk defencemen he can trust. It is the reason why Mark Fraser, Mike Kostka and Korbinian Holzer all won spots in the lineup ahead of Jake Gardiner and John-Michael Liles, and the reason Rielly, another offensive defenceman, might be returned to junior this season to round out his game and get more experience.

If that happens, Granberg could be the stay-at-home type Carlyle is seeking.

“Petter is a PK guy, he’s 5-on-5, 4-on-4,” said Jim Hughes, the Leafs director of player development. “He’s a pure defender.”

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
It is scary just how many good young D men we have.....I can see Granberg and Rielly being a top pairing the NHL in a few years...

That would be nice...long ways off though. One thing is for sure, putting those two together was no coincidence.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Rather then argue with me Google what all the experts said about Gormley.....he will play this year in the NHL and look good doing so....last season was not a normal season for call ups etc...he would have made the team out of camp but there really was no real camp.
so you don't have any examples of "experts" who said gormley should have played in the nhl last year. your argument that it was about one-way contracts has been shot down. he didn't even get a single game call-up. it wasn't a normal season for call-ups? why not? the leafs called up plenty of players during the season. so did the coyotes. but none of them was gormley.

you said he didn't make it because of all the one-way contracts the coyotes had, now you're saying he would have made it out of camp, except there was no real camp. what does that even mean? you're all over the map, and clearly you know your argument is nonsense.

It was not is an excuse but the truth....I do not think you even watched The WJC.....you seem to have a strong opinion about someone you have not watch play....as for ice time he got in the tourney I'm not going to try to explain hockey to you....I do not have the time nor inclination to do so, I'm afraid you will have to learn on your own.
you won't explain it because you can't. there is no explanation for what you're claiming happened to rielly at the wjc. it makes no sense that the coach would sit his best defenceman, and even if the coach wanted to over-play his favorite, there was still all the ice time left over that rielly could handle.

both of your arguments are absolutely bogus.

you know what makes a lot more sense? he just wasn't playing up to par. there's no shame in accepting that possibility. it doesn't mean he'll never help the leafs win a cup.

"i'm not even going to bother to explain it to you" is code for "I know i'm wrong, and I have no argument or explanation to back up my opinion".

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
so you don't have any examples of "experts" who said gormley should have played in the nhl last year. your argument that it was about one-way contracts has been shot down. he didn't even get a single game call-up. it wasn't a normal season for call-ups? why not? the leafs called up plenty of players during the season. so did the coyotes. but none of them was gormley.

you said he didn't make it because of all the one-way contracts the coyotes had, now you're saying he would have made it out of camp, except there was no real camp. what does that even mean? you're all over the map, and clearly you know your argument is nonsense.

you won't explain it because you can't. there is no explanation for what you're claiming happened to rielly at the wjc. it makes no sense that the coach would sit his best defenceman, and even if the coach wanted to over-play his favorite, there was still all the ice time left over that rielly could handle.

both of your arguments are absolutely bogus.

you know what makes a lot more sense? he just wasn't playing up to par. there's no shame in accepting that possibility. it doesn't mean he'll never help the leafs win a cup.

"i'm not even going to bother to explain it to you" is code for "I know i'm wrong, and I have no argument or explanation to back up my opinion".

My claim is widely accepted as fact of what happened at the WJC....you can ignore it if you wish, but it does not change the facts. Murphy played horrible and he was played over a better performing player....

Morgan was not going to play on the shutdown unit as that was saved for the two 20 year older. So he played on the 5-6 unit and on the pp. I really should not have to explain this to you as I assumed that you understand how teams work. The reality is that you have no idea about Rielly....but you insist on posting your opinion of him??

Again with Gormley he was told that with the 7 nhl one way contracts they had and the limited and poorly timed training camp that they would not have him play and burn one year of his ELC for 48 games...... I'm not all over the map at all , I just did not feel the need to repeat myself as I mistakenly thought that you could put the information together.

I asked you to Google the information as I do not feel like doing so on my cell phone...

Drennan57*

I hope Rielly goes back to MJ.

He's got immense natural talent but his confidence is still inconsistent. One night he looks amazing and the next night he looks lost.

I also think he's trying very hard to be thought of as a TWD and he's in a transition point in his mind about how he want's to play.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Ai yi yi. This thread. He has the same defensive concerns as Gardiner, yet most of our fans would be happy to pencil Gards in on our top pairing.

Take it from someone who's watched the majority of his games this season. He's ready. His defense isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be. In fact I doubt a lot of people have ever seen him play. So if you want to make an argument to me on how his defense is poor I'd love to hear it.

I'll throw some basic stats at you. He plays 30+ minutes in every situation, on the team with the 5th most GA, and the 5th least GF and he's a -8. I know +/- isn't everything but considering the rest of the defenders who played close to as many games as him and much less minutes have the following: -16,-24,-25. It's gotta say something if he's playing half the game on one of the worst teams, against solid competition every night.

In fact, regarding +/- he was mostly even outside of his return from WJC in Jan where he went -5 (two games MJ lost 7-0, and 5-0), and March where he went -3.

Edit: Also if it makes you more excited, the team went on a 7 game losing streak when he was at WJC, allowing 4 or more goals in EVERY SINGLE GAME

Last edited:

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
If Kostka made the lineup on opening night last year and Holzer was our first call-up then I'm liking Rielly's chances. Granted the AHL'ers had an advantage because of the lockout, but I'm still thinking that the kid can work his way into the lineup. Ideally either he or Gardiner would replace Gunnarsson on the top pairing.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
If Kostka made the lineup on opening night last year and Holzer was our first call-up then I'm liking Rielly's chances. Granted the AHL'ers had an advantage because of the lockout, but I'm still thinking that the kid can work his way into the lineup. Ideally either he or Gardiner would replace Gunnarsson on the top pairing.

Kostka and Holzer made the team because we were desperate for RHD's.

Phaneuf, Reilly, Gardiner, Fraser and Liles are all LHD's and won't be paired with each other.

For Reilly to crack the lineup, he needs to be better than one of Phaneuf, Gardiner or Fraser (Liles will likely spend most of the season in the press box).

Fraser is the most likely... but we have few physical defensemen and more than enough PMD's... so Reilly pretty much has to be better than Gardiner if he wants to stick. If he can't do that in his 9 game audition, it's back to Moosejaw.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Ai yi yi. This thread. He has the same defensive concerns as Gardiner, yet most of our fans would be happy to pencil Gards in on our top pairing.

Take it from someone who's watched the majority of his games this season. He's ready. His defense isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be. In fact I doubt a lot of people have ever seen him play. So if you want to make an argument to me on how his defense is poor I'd love to hear it.

I'll throw some basic stats at you. He plays 30+ minutes in every situation, on the team with the 5th most GA, and the 5th least GF and he's a -8. I know +/- isn't everything but considering the rest of the defenders who played close to as many games as him and much less minutes have the following: -16,-24,-25. It's gotta say something if he's playing half the game on one of the worst teams, against solid competition every night.

In fact, regarding +/- he was mostly even outside of his return from WJC in Jan where he went -5 (two games MJ lost 7-0, and 5-0), and March where he went -3.

Edit: Also if it makes you more excited, the team went on a 7 game losing streak when he was at WJC, allowing 4 or more goals in EVERY SINGLE GAME

Are you REALLY trying to justify a spot in the Leafs lineup based on how he played against 17 year olds?

If he was as ready as you say he is, I would think he would do better than 4 points in 22 AHL games. Grown men is who he will be going up against in the NHL, so his most recent play vs grown men is the best indicator of where he's at.

He needs to physically mature. It's great that he hit 200 lbs, but he's still a boy and doesn't have the "man strength" that is typically developed (in all of us, not just star athletes) in the early to mid 20's.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Are you REALLY trying to justify a spot in the Leafs lineup based on how he played against 17 year olds?

If he was as ready as you say he is, I would think he would do better than 4 points in 22 AHL games. Grown men is who he will be going up against in the NHL, so his most recent play vs grown men is the best indicator of where he's at.

He needs to physically mature. It's great that he hit 200 lbs, but he's still a boy and doesn't have the "man strength" that is typically developed (in all of us, not just star athletes) in the early to mid 20's.

I'm not justifying a spot. I'm saying he's ready to earn a spot.

And you should stop looking at points. 3 points in 14 games as a 19 year old in the AHL season. Gardiner as a 21 year old had 3 in 10 games. Their production as a rookie was virtually identical and we all know how Gardiner turned out next season. Plus he has a full off season to get bigger. He was fine versus grown men, he was a constant offensive threat for the Marlies. Points don't tell the whole story.

He doesn't need man strength. He plays down low the same way as Gunner. He'll pin you against the boards and use his stick to dislodge the puck. It worked in the AHL, it'll work in the NHL with the extra 5-10 pounds he adds in the off season.

Drennan57*

He's good defending the rush because of his skating but he is not in the Dzone once a cycle has been established.

He has his good moments and bad moments in all area's of the game but if he is just "decent" defensively in the WHL what's that going to mean when he is relied on to defend against the best players in the world?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad