Prospect Info: Rielly has a chance of playing in the NHL this year.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
Chances are very good he'll get a nine-game NHL apprenticeship, at the very least, when the 2013-14 season begins.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I agree there isn't much more for him to learn in the WHL. Only positive would be being able to play and be likely the teams number one defenceman at the world juniors. That said I see him starting the year with the Leafs and I think he sticks.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Of course there's a chance. He's one of the best prospects in the world.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I will be quite surprised if he doesn't make the team. The conditions for him to make it this year are perfect. He's the best player we have that is on an ELC. This year is proving difficult to roll a full roster of veterans.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
All Rielly has to do is be better than Brennan and Holzer. I have faith!

I'm not worried about him making the team. I'm worried about him playing 10 games, a quarter through the season Randy sees something he doesn't like, and Rielly ends up in the press box for the rest of the year.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
I think he'll land a spot on the roster this season. If he's improved from last season, I don't see why not. Obviously they wouldn't want to burn a year off his ELC by having him sit in the press box half the time, but I don't think that will happen.

It would be nice if we just send him to the marlies instead, but stupid rules and whatnot state that he has to go back to junior first. Which is kind of pointless, since he'd probably out play just about everyone in that league at this point.

It all comes down to training camp. IMO, he makes it though. He was one of the last players cut at the previous camp. With a full season of juniors, as well as some AHL play time to boot, he'd be ready to crack the lineup this season.

leafspring*

i have a bad feeling he will make the team out of camp and then end up in Randy's dog house.

No No, that can't even come close to happening.Carlyle is not a moron.He would keep expectation very low under the circumstances if it were to happen.Really not a ideal situation for a coach to heap expectation on a young d-man. A position Carlyle knows full well seeing he played it.

That won't happen bro.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I think he'll land a spot on the roster this season. If he's improved from last season, I don't see why not. Obviously they wouldn't want to burn a year off his ELC by having him sit in the press box half the time, but I don't think that will happen.

It would be nice if we just send him to the marlies instead, but stupid rules and whatnot state that he has to go back to junior first. Which is kind of pointless, since he'd probably out play just about everyone in that league at this point.

It all comes down to training camp. IMO, he makes it though. He was one of the last players cut at the previous camp. With a full season of juniors, as well as some AHL play time to boot, he'd be ready to crack the lineup this season.

One Caveat is we'll probably end up waiving either Brennan or Holzer if Rielly makes the team. So we'll have to be prepared to lose one of those guys. Not a big deal but it's something to consider.

It's a bit of a Risk because if Rielly isn't kept after 10 games, then we may have to go a bit further down the depth chart and probably call up Blacker.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
I hope he goes back to Junior. I'd rather keep development slow and steady.

depositphotos_5029204-Businessman-looks-shocked.jpg

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why are people so worried about Reilly playing in the NHL?

Morgan Rielly is a better skater than 95% of the players currently in the NHL. This scenario isn't the same as Schenn being rushed and played at 18 years old.

He could have made it last year if not for the lock out, and he might just force the management to play him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I expect many of this most recent entry top 5 draft picks (Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones etc) to get real serious opportunities to stick with their clubs this season, so the previous top 5 in Rielly (now a year older) should also get an opportunity similarly.

Top 5 lottery pick selections are supposed to be the cream of the draft crop. If Rielly does go back to junior a 2nd time, then that would not be too good considering where he was picked.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I expect many of this most recent entry top 5 draft picks to get real serious opportunities to stick with their clubs, so the previous top 5 in Rielly (now a year older) should also get an opportunity similarly.

Top 5 lottery pick selections are supposed to be the cream of the draft crop. If Rielly does go back to junior a 2nd time, then that would not be too good considering where he was picked.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Morgan Rielly going back to the WHL.

Pietrangelo went back to the juniors twice before finally making the Blues team....now he's demanding ~7M.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I expect many of this most recent entry top 5 draft picks (Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones etc) to get real serious opportunities to stick with their clubs this season, so the previous top 5 in Rielly (now a year older) should also get an opportunity similarly.

Very few prospects struggled when teams took their time to bring them up, the oposite holds true for rushed prospects. I'm fine with Reilly taking a bit more time before coming to the Leafs.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

I agree. With the cap going down, there's more pressure than ever to get these top talent kids in the NHL. ELCs are king this year.

Rielly is a bit of a strange situation. If not for missing most of his draft year, he should definitely be making the team this year. The guy is one of if not the best D prospect in the world right now.

Guys like this get moved to the appropriate levels pretty quickly. On the other hand, the lost year is a factor. That said, I doubt very much that Rielly is sent back to Junior.

Jim Hughes' interview pretty much says all the needs to be said.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Why are people so worried about Reilly playing in the NHL?

Morgan Rielly is a better skater than 95% of the players currently in the NHL. This scenario isn't the same as Schenn being rushed and played at 18 years old.

He could have made it last year if not for the lock out, and he might just force the management to play him.

If Morgan does prove to management he can play, so be it. Just because he is a very good skater, he has yet to have to fish the puck in the corners with the best players in the NHL bounding down on him throwing their weight at him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Very few prospects struggled when teams took their time to bring them up, the oposite holds true for rushed prospects. I'm fine with Reilly taking a bit more time before coming to the Leafs.

Sorry funny.....We sent him back for another year already.....he is more then ready and we could release him to play in the World Jr this year to help maintain his confidence. He stays.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
If Morgan does prove to management he can play, so be it. Just because he is a very good skater, he has yet to have to fish the puck in the corners with the best players in the NHL bounding down on him throwing their weight at him.

Skating, Strength, Maturity and Vision are all at the NHL level already. He's not going to get crushed by NHLers.

If RNH, Huberdeau, etc can make it, Rielly will be perfectly fine.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It is a shame that the NHL can't "persuade" the AHL to allow top picks to develop there at an earlier age. I think it is pretty clear that he has learned about as much as he can at the WHL level, and could benefit from not being pushed into the NHL at this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad