Prospect Info: Rielly has a chance of playing in the NHL this year.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
He's good defending the rush because of his skating but he is not in the Dzone once a cycle has been established.

He has his good moments and bad moments in all area's of the game but if he is just "decent" defensively in the WHL what's that going to mean when he is relied on to defend against the best players in the world?

He's fine on the cycle. He has an active stick. Obviously stronger guys can out muscle him, but you can say that for over 75% of the D in the league. He has a smart stick for knocking pucks loose on the cycle and he pins players well.

Decent defensively? I'd say he was above average. Once again, it wasn't like he was getting exposed in the AHL. He was perfectly fine defensively at the AHL.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
He's fine on the cycle. He has an active stick. Obviously stronger guys can out muscle him, but you can say that for over 75% of the D in the league. He has a smart stick for knocking pucks loose on the cycle and he pins players well.

Decent defensively? I'd say he was above average. Once again, it wasn't like he was getting exposed in the AHL. He was perfectly fine defensively at the AHL.

Your forgetting one important factor. Hockey is a team sport you can talk all you want about his individual skill sets the real question here with Rielly is if there's a D partner for him that will work to benefit both him and the team to win hockey games.

That's the question that Carlyle has to have answered by Rielly or any of the young guys to make the team. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN FOR THE BEST INTREST OF THE TEAM?

Camp is where that question will be answered.

Drennan57*

Your forgetting one important factor. Hockey is a team sport you can talk all you want about his individual skill sets the real question here with Rielly is if there's a D partner for him that will work to benefit both him and the team to win hockey games.

That's the question that Carlyle has to have answered by Rielly or any of the young guys to make the team. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN FOR THE BEST INTREST OF THE TEAM?

Camp is where that question will be answered.

He doesn't fit.

All positions are taken when it comes to puck moving so there is absolutely no reason why he should be in the NHL this year regardless of how he does in camp.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't think he'll learn anything by being down in junior skating circles around players myself. He can cheat far too much in junior, and get away with far too many mistakes and lazy plays, that he's not going to learn anything else down there other than how to take shortcuts.

What he has left to learn he has to learn at the pro level.

Unfortunately, Liles is blocking his way right now.

Trading Liles is very important right now, both for our cap, and for our player development.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Ai yi yi. This thread. He has the same defensive concerns as Gardiner, yet most of our fans would be happy to pencil Gards in on our top pairing.

Take it from someone who's watched the majority of his games this season. He's ready. His defense isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be. In fact I doubt a lot of people have ever seen him play. So if you want to make an argument to me on how his defense is poor I'd love to hear it.

I'll throw some basic stats at you. He plays 30+ minutes in every situation, on the team with the 5th most GA, and the 5th least GF and he's a -8. I know +/- isn't everything but considering the rest of the defenders who played close to as many games as him and much less minutes have the following: -16,-24,-25. It's gotta say something if he's playing half the game on one of the worst teams, against solid competition every night.

In fact, regarding +/- he was mostly even outside of his return from WJC in Jan where he went -5 (two games MJ lost 7-0, and 5-0), and March where he went -3.

Edit: Also if it makes you more excited, the team went on a 7 game losing streak when he was at WJC, allowing 4 or more goals in EVERY SINGLE GAME

Until people watch him play a lot they will think he is a poor defensive player...I have seen him play since major Bantam and like you most of his home games and when they played in Regina.... His defense coach Mike is another former Hound who coached the Jr team there when he played Bantam.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He doesn't fit.

All positions are taken when it comes to puck moving so there is absolutely no reason why he should be in the NHL this year regardless of how he does in camp.

Really.....Liles barely played last year and will be moved...and when you are the best puck moving defenseman of the bunch....then what. Franson is not a puck moving defenseman but a good passer....he can not carry the mail.

I would be willing to bet that we move Liles and or Gunnar before the start of the season.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Until people watch him play a lot they will think he is a poor defensive player...I have seen him play since major Bantam and like you most of his home games and when they played in Regina.... His defense coach Mike is another former Hound who coached the Jr team there when he played Bantam.

I knew you'd understand. I respect everyone's opinion here, but I don't get where people are under this idea he's bad defensively, when he isn't.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I don't think he'll learn anything by being down in junior skating circles around players myself. He can cheat far too much in junior, and get away with far too many mistakes and lazy plays, that he's not going to learn anything else down there other than how to take shortcuts.

What he has left to learn he has to learn at the pro level.

Unfortunately, Liles is blocking his way right now.

Trading Liles is very important right now, both for our cap, and for our player development.

That's how I feel about him as well. After seeing him play on the Marlies and in the WJC, I'm 100% convinced that he's no longer able to be challenged in the WHL.

I mean he basically destroyed that league last year. Runner up as the defenceman of the year and was on one of the worst teams while losing to an overager on a team with a .625 winning %.

Rielly on a winning team would literally dominate to the point of ridiculousness.

The guy is so far ahead of his peers that it's not even funny. Jim Hughes basically implied it. They know he's probably going to make the team.

They might keep Liles as an insurance policy if they can, but it seems unlikely at this point due to the cap.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I really dont see what the issue is with keeping Rielly in Moose Jaw for 1 more season. He barely made an impression in the AHL when called up so I really dont see this being an issue at training camp. The kid is not ready. Plain and simple.

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
I really dont see what the issue is with keeping Rielly in Moose Jaw for 1 more season. He barely made an impression in the AHL when called up so I really dont see this being an issue at training camp. The kid is not ready. Plain and simple.

How many games did you watch of him in the AHL?

mikebel111*

he is ready. he had the same points total as gardiner in his first stint. we all know what happened next. he made a huge impression. everything I have heard is that he played really well in the AHL.

this kid is ready. plain and simple.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
he is ready. he had the same points total as gardiner in his first stint. we all know what happened next. he made a huge impression. everything I have heard is that he played really well in the AHL.

this kid is ready. plain and simple.

Thats my point. He is going to be a leet player and at best he was OK in the AHL. He has tons of room to grow and still lots of room to grow in the juniors.

http://www.vintageleafmemories.com/2013/07/the-morgan-rielly-conundrum.html
Here is a great article that i am sure has been posted by now but I cannot be 100% positive.

If Rielly is dynamite in training camp + the first few games and is top4 D man then keep him in (he wont be btw), otherwise send him down. It is not like we have a glaring need for him the point.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Really.....Liles barely played last year and will be moved...and when you are the best puck moving defenseman of the bunch....then what. Franson is not a puck moving defenseman but a good passer....he can not carry the mail.

I would be willing to bet that we move Liles and or Gunnar before the start of the season.
Franson isn't a puck rusher due to his poor mobility, but he's definitely a puck moving defenceman. More in the mold of Kaberle with his long-range passing. Pronger also moved the puck in a similar manner.

It would be interesting to see if Franson can work with Phaneuf to deal with the puck moving component. However, mobility is a pretty significant concern. I honestly don't think Gunnarsson is legitimate and Phaneuf moves the puck a lot better than him as well. We need someone who can do it better than him.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My claim is widely accepted as fact of what happened at the WJC....you can ignore it if you wish, but it does not change the facts.
you have no facts whatsoever. that's the problem with your argument. who "widely" accepts this "fact"? a group of leaf fans who refuse to believe their prospect is anything less than perfect, and want to look for any excuse to justify his disappointing performance? yes, that's who.

Murphy played horrible and he was played over a better performing player....
again, ignoring the 5 other spots on the blueline. I don't know why you insist on this head to head battle between murphy and rielly. actually, I do know. its because its the only excuse you can think of for rielly's disappointing wjc.

Morgan was not going to play on the shutdown unit as that was saved for the two 20 year older. So he played on the 5-6 unit and on the pp. I really should not have to explain this to you as I assumed that you understand how teams work.
wow. I hope everyone is reading this. you think there were two 20 year olds on the wjc team, yet you're questioning my understanding of hockey? not much else to be said.

but i'll ask....who were the 20 year olds on team Canada?

The reality is that you have no idea about Rielly....but you insist on posting your opinion of him??
I don't have much of an opinion on rielly. I've feely admitted I haven't seen much of him, other than his disappointing wjc. i'm just questioning your intense opinion, which appears to be based on nothing other than hope.

Again with Gormley he was told that with the 7 nhl one way contracts they had and the limited and poorly timed training camp that they would not have him play and burn one year of his ELC for 48 games...... I'm not all over the map at all , I just did not feel the need to repeat myself as I mistakenly thought that you could put the information together.
again, you're all over the place because you have no argument and you know it. gormley did not even get a single game in the nhl. that kills your contract argument.

poorly timed training camp? what does that mean? that's an incredibly vague, ambiguous, meaningless excuse. how was the coyotes camp poorly timed, and how did it impact Brandon gormley? as far as I know, the coyotes had the same time frame for their camp as everyone else did.

I asked you to Google the information as I do not feel like doing so on my cell phone...
google what information? google your opinion?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
you have no facts whatsoever. that's the problem with your argument. who "widely" accepts this "fact"? a group of leaf fans who refuse to believe their prospect is anything less than perfect, and want to look for any excuse to justify his disappointing performance? yes, that's who.

again, ignoring the 5 other spots on the blueline. I don't know why you insist on this head to head battle between murphy and rielly. actually, I do know. its because its the only excuse you can think of for rielly's disappointing wjc.

wow. I hope everyone is reading this. you think there were two 20 year olds on the wjc team, yet you're questioning my understanding of hockey? not much else to be said.

but i'll ask....who were the 20 year olds on team Canada?

I don't have much of an opinion on rielly. I've feely admitted I haven't seen much of him, other than his disappointing wjc. i'm just questioning your intense opinion, which appears to be based on nothing other than hope.

again, you're all over the place because you have no argument and you know it. gormley did not even get a single game in the nhl. that kills your contract argument.

poorly timed training camp? what does that mean? that's an incredibly vague, ambiguous, meaningless excuse. how was the coyotes camp poorly timed, and how did it impact Brandon gormley? as far as I know, the coyotes had the same time frame for their camp as everyone else did.

google what information? google your opinion?
Edit: when I said 20 years old I typed soon to be 20 year older but when I copied and pasted it...it was not in my post....sorry for the confusion.

You have won...i can not keep up the pace...you are right....you will toss in more ambiguous questions ....just to further this along....I really thought that I was having a debate with an educated hockey fan....but it seems I was wrong.....

Have a great day!

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Frankie is just upset that kadri, gardiner and reimer are turning into studs despite his skepticism.

Don't mind him.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Edit: when I said 20 years old I typed soon to be 20 year older but when I copied and pasted it...it was not in my post....sorry for the confusion.
brutal. another in a long line of absurd excuses. you actually didn't know 20 year olds are too old to play on the wjc team. yet you're here trying to prove your an insider who knows everything about morgan rielly. hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad