Prospect Info: Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would like to see a Ostapchuk - Greig - Boucher future line, if & when Boucher ever gets healthy & stays healthy.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I actually hope they keep Greig at wing for the next couple years. He could be a good top six option eventually as a winger if the offence continues to develop, and if not, we can avoid some of the growing pains we’ve had with our centres the last few years. Get a veteran C and just let Grieg play without added responsibilities.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Zero points in his last five games - not even a secondary assist. I know he doesn't get any power play time but TBH I was expecting him to contribute more offensively than he has so far this year.

Reactions: DrEasy

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
Zero points in his last five games - not even a secondary assist. I know he doesn't get any power play time but TBH I was expecting him to contribute more offensively than he has so far this year.
Yeah he has far exceeded my expectations offensively.

I think we got a good one.

Reactions: otown

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He has been the 1 player that gets moved around when the team doesn't know what to do with lines.

He instantly improved the games of Joseph and Tank and has been a good overall player since he was called up.

He is an NHL player for sure and I think he has been snake bitten a bit. Lots of upside once the puck luck moves back to the mean.

Reactions: Larionov

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He has been the 1 player that gets moved around when the team doesn't know what to do with lines.

He instantly improved the games of Joseph and Tank and has been a good overall player since he was called up.

He is an NHL player for sure and I think he has been snake bitten a bit. Lots of upside once the puck luck moves back to the mean.
Oh I would agree with both of those assessments - definitely an NHL player, and he hasn't had a lot of puck luck. He did have three shots on goal last night, so he was generating some. I just have a hard time determining if he can ever be, say, a 60 point guy in the NHL, or if his ceiling is 30-40 points. No question he brings a ton of intangibles, but I'm just on the hunt for secondary scoring, something we have struggled with mightily...

Reactions: DrEasy and OD99

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think Greig would have had a much better season if he wasn't saddled with Kubalik for so many games. I have seen Kubalik kill play after play after play. It's depressing.

Greig played amazing when up with the big boys and could even handle the role of centre.
He's going to be a special player.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I think Greig would have had a much better season if he wasn't saddled with Kubalik for so many games. I have seen Kubalik kill play after play after play. It's depressing.

Greig played amazing when up with the big boys and could even handle the role of centre.
He's going to be a special player.
Some of the most consistent offensive hockey we've seen this year was for that 2 or 3 week stretch where Greig was centering Tkachuk and Giroux. He got bumped back down to 3LW when Norris came back, I believe, and hasn't been nearly as noticeable since.

I'm surprised in these past two games with Ostapchuk up that they haven't played Greig at C and Ostapchuk at LW.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Some of the most consistent offensive hockey we've seen this year was for that 2 or 3 week stretch where Greig was centering Tkachuk and Giroux. He got bumped back down to 3LW when Norris came back, I believe, and hasn't been nearly as noticeable since.

I'm surprised in these past two games with Ostapchuk up that they haven't played Greig at C and Ostapchuk at LW.
I was wondering about that as well and I think it's because Ostapchuk was playing C in Belleville. I guess if they move a guy up to the NHL it's less risky to keep him at the position he was playing at. It's only one change rather than two.
As in, 'welcome to the NHL, now play a different position'. That might be too hard for young players.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Greig's been a bit cold for the score sheet lately, but I'd attribute it to movement throughout the line up. He hasn't been a liability on the ice and is learning the slog that is the regular season.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I was wondering about that as well and I think it's because Ostapchuk was playing C in Belleville. I guess if they move a guy up to the NHL it's less risky to keep him at the position he was playing at. It's only one change rather than two.
As in, 'welcome to the NHL, now play a different position'. That might be too hard for young players.
Also, they may see Ostapchuk as a better long term centre option. He also has all the makings of a solid defensive or two way centre. Be nice to see what kind of offence Grieg can produce with a little more leeway.

Reactions: aragorn and WallyD

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think when Greig plays on a scoring line he's a little more focused on scoring and when he's moved off of a scoring line he gets a little more focused on shit disturbing

• Haha
Reactions: aragorn and WallyD

Senovision

May 23, 2011
He has been struggling since the famous slap shot goal vs. The Leafers.
3 goals 1 assist in the 24 games since the slapper. I think all of the media attention that got has probably caught him by surprise.

I still really like Greig. I think he will get better with more experience.

Last edited:

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
When he scored last night and he gave a solid friendly punch to Tkachuk, only to have Tkachuk respond with a solid punch back, I thought Greig looked like he was going to retaliate lol, his face changed!
I found that highlight from the Jets game when Greig scored and him and Tkachuk exchanged celebratory punches. Your right! There was a second there when he looked like Greig was ready to drop the mitts with Brady. That would have been awesome and would have cemented him as an all-time beauty!!! This guy is going to be worth his weight in gold WHEN we make the playoffs next season!!

I found that highlight from the Jets game when Greig scored and him and Tkachuk exchanged celebratory punches. Your right! There was a second there when he looked like Greig was ready to drop the mitts with Brady. That would have been awesome and would have cemented him as an all-time beauty!!! This guy is going to be worth his weight in gold WHEN we make the playoffs next season!!
It's right at about 2:22 of this highlight clip against the Jets:

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode

It's right at about 2:22 of this highlight clip against the Jets:
In watching this highlight reel against the Jets, it was 3 really nice goals and probably the best save of the season from Korpisalo. Worth the re-watch. Just sayin'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad