RickWesthead's Twitter has the World Cup payouts

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
At work so cant access Twitter but basically.....

-Those who played got $86K USD pre-tax. Others got 10k.

-Taxes took a big hit though, with some netting 50k.

-Splitting a $44mil profit.

Just wondering then considering injury risks and the fact this was in a relatively safe hockey city, is this worth it as a venture? For Canadian players who played 9 games, that could mean they were playing for maybe $6,500/game. How does that compare to a regular NHL game?

28 games played in total.....$22mil to owners over 30 owners. How would that compare to a regular NHL game?

Still made much more than the 04 tourney.

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
At work so cant access Twitter but basically.....

-Those who played got $86K USD pre-tax. Others got 10k.

-Taxes took a big hit though, with some netting 50k.

-Splitting a $44mil profit.

Just wondering then considering injury risks and the fact this was in a relatively safe hockey city, is this worth it as a venture? For Canadian players who played 9 games, that could mean they were playing for maybe $6,500/game. How does that compare to a regular NHL game?

28 games played in total.....$22mil to owners over 30 owners. How would that compare to a regular NHL game?

Here are the tweets...

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Wasn't the profit suggested previously to be roughly $60 million?

Less than $100K doesn't seem worth it for the players.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
For Canadian players who played 9 games, that could mean they were playing for maybe $6,500/game. How does that compare to a regular NHL game?

Well $6,500 a game over 82 games would be $533k/year.

Basically they got paid virtually nothing for participating compared to their usual salary.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wasn't the profit suggested previously to be roughly $60 million?

Less than $100K doesn't seem worth it for the players.

It'd more then they get for playing in the WC or Olympics.

I think the longer term question is less about how much money it generates and more about whether it can become the premier showcase tournament of international teams.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen

For someone like Ovechkin or Karlsson though, the Olympics are way more important to their overall earning potential. An Olympic medal bumps up their brand value far more than an event no one in their main market watched.

Probably isn't true for McDavid and Crosby, because Canadians actually care about the World Cup and it could be relevant to Tim Horon's marketing strategy, but Ovechkin could probably have made a lot more than 50k just doing night club appearances in Moscow for however long that tournament went on.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
For someone like Ovechkin or Karlsson though, the Olympics are way more important to their overall earning potential. An Olympic medal bumps up their brand value far more than an event no one in their main market watched.

Probably isn't true for McDavid and Crosby, because Canadians actually care about the World Cup and it could be relevant to Tim Horon's marketing strategy, but Ovechkin could probably have made a lot more than 50k just doing night club appearances in Moscow for however long that tournament went on.

I doubt it has much to do with their overall NHL value, in my humble opinion.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I doubt it has much to do with their overall NHL value, in my humble opinion.

NHL value? Sure, it's not worth much. Commercial value for things like endorsement deals? I could absolutely see the olympics being worth much more for a player's personal brand.

USAUSA1

Dec 1, 2016
If they move the huge games to Rogers Center,BC place,Olympic stadium it can become huge money.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
By comparison how much are players making for IIHF Worlds participation?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Well $6,500 a game over 82 games would be $533k/year.

Basically they got paid virtually nothing for participating compared to their usual salary.

The $6,500 is after taxes. So, it's still under a $1 million salary for an NHL player.

Put it this way, $86K gross earnings from the tournament, for a top end guy that would be the equivalent of 1 NHL game check if they earn $7 million. So, the likes of Doughty, Sid, Ovy, Malkin, Stamkos, Kane, Toews, Kopitar,, Weber, Seabrook, basically played several games in the WCOH and earned the same as 1 game check.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
If they move the huge games to Rogers Center,BC place,Olympic stadium it can become huge money.

None of those arenas can host ice surfaces during September due to baseball, soccer and infrastructure respectively.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg

I think the longer term question is less about how much money it generates and more about whether it can become the premier showcase tournament of international teams.

Olympics specifically......I think players are ok with whatever stipend they get and dont mind the no-pay seeing how they wanted to keep going still. It will forever be the biggest exposure any 1 player gets in their career, playing hockey . Its a decision of the size of the stage vs the amount paid out for a 2 week time frame. The NHL will never be capable of making the World Cup a "thing", I think.

Anyhow, from the owners perspective....

$22mil/28 games over 30 owners gets me $26,000 per game. I dont know how tax affects that amount Is that worth more or less than an average NHL game in revenue?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The $6,500 is after taxes. So, it's still under a $1 million salary for an NHL player.

Put it this way, $86K gross earnings from the tournament, for a top end guy that would be the equivalent of 1 NHL game check if they earn $7 million. So, the likes of Doughty, Sid, Ovy, Malkin, Stamkos, Kane, Toews, Kopitar,, Weber, Seabrook, basically played several games in the WCOH and earned the same as 1 game check.

Yea. It's not a terrible payday or anything, but for the caliber of players who are playing, it's basically an inconsequential amount of money. If it's going to continue as a tournament, it's not going to be based on financials but rather based on it being a premier best on best tournament (perhaps the only one if the Olympics don't have NHLers long term)

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Anyhow, from the owners perspective....

$22mil/28 games over 30 owners gets me $26,000 per game. I dont know how tax affects that amount Is that worth more or less than an average NHL game in revenue?

We are talking here about profit and not simply revenue. From an owner point of view the way you can look at this is what is the average profit per team for the whole season. We know some teams are in the red some are in the black. I heard the average profit is estimated at around 10 millions per team but don't have a good source to confirm.

$22mil/30 team is 0.733m/team. From an owner perspective we are looking at an average increase of profit by 7.33%. Not negligible if you ask me.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
We are talking here about profit and not simply revenue. From an owner point of view the way you can look at this is what is the average profit per team for the whole season. We know some teams are in the red some are in the black. I heard the average profit is estimated at around 10 millions per team but don't have a good source to confirm.

$22mil/30 team is 0.733m/team. From an owner perspective we are looking at an average increase of profit by 7.33%. Not negligible if you ask me.

Saw some on Twitter saying this figure should be looked at in worse light as it should be annualized over the 4 years, and considering it was held in such a safe market.

And looking at it on a per-game basis, is it worth it for the owners to risk their season on this amount of money if you lose Crosby/Ovechkin/etc?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Saw some on Twitter saying this figure should be looked at in worse light as it should be annualized over the 4 years, and considering it was held in such a safe market.

And looking at it on a per-game basis, is it worth it for the owners to risk their season on this amount of money if you lose Crosby/Ovechkin/etc?

Sure it is not every year and yes there is risk. How does the profit compare to IIHF World and Olympics? There is risk in those as well.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Still made much more than the 04 tourney.

Significantly less - by a massive margin. Gotta remember that most of the players invited are the best in the league and have salaries that reflect that.

But when you play for your NHL team, you are not wearing your countries flag on the front of your jersey and you are not representing your country on the world stage (or however many people watched the games). Sure there were a couple of BS teams there, but this was still a big event - more so with the fact that the NHL will not be going to the Olympics this year (a good thing).

Sure it is not every year and yes there is risk. How does the profit compare to IIHF World and Olympics? There is risk in those as well.

Significantly higher I'm sure.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

If the NHL stops going to the Olympics, and keeps hosting a WCH, eventually it likely will become such an event. But it's going to take time and it's going to take commitment to continue doing it.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
If the NHL stops going to the Olympics, and keeps hosting a WCH, eventually it likely will become such an event. But it's going to take time and it's going to take commitment to continue doing it.

There is no way they would be able to generate more revenue than the Toronto World Cup in any other city.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
There is no way they would be able to generate more revenue than the Toronto World Cup in any other city.

Never suggested that they would. I was talking about how from an NHL POV if they wanted the WCH to become a premier event.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto

How much would players value an Olympic medal? I bet you most of the players who were in the tournament would value one (especially a gold) at a lot more than $86 K (before tax).

If how much money it generates isn't the question, why not go to the real premier showcase sporting tournament of international teams: the Olympics?

The World Cup sucks. Everyone who watches the World Cup of hockey is already a fan of hockey & the NHL. No non-hockey fans will ever watch it, it's not much of a showcase.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad