RickWesthead's Twitter has the World Cup payouts

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How much would players value an Olympic medal? I bet you most of the players who were in the tournament would value one (especially a gold) at a lot more than $86 K (before tax).

If how much money it generates isn't the question, why not go to the real premier showcase sporting tournament of international teams: the Olympics?

The World Cup sucks. Everyone who watches the World Cup of hockey is already a fan of hockey & the NHL. No non-hockey fans will ever watch it, it's not much of a showcase.

Commit to not ever going to the Olympics again, and that would change if people actually wanted to see the "best on best". But this isn't something that would happen overnight - it would take years and years to make it happen. And it would take years of not going to the Olympics - regardless of where they are hosted.

I struggle to see the NHL having that sort of dedication - especially if a place like LA, Philly, Boston or Toronto (or any other prominent hockey city in NA) were to host the Olympics.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Commit to not ever going to the Olympics again, and that would change if people actually wanted to see the "best on best". But this isn't something that would happen overnight - it would take years and years to make it happen. And it would take years of not going to the Olympics - regardless of where they are hosted.

I struggle to see the NHL having that sort of dedication - especially if a place like LA, Philly, Boston or Toronto (or any other prominent hockey city in NA) were to host the Olympics.
Lack of dedication is the main reason why the event did not generate much revenue. It's not the first time the league had a world cup, giving up every time mean the NHL had to start from scratch every time. If you want this thing to have legs you need to commit to having one every two years or so.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
How much would players value an Olympic medal? I bet you most of the players who were in the tournament would value one (especially a gold) at a lot more than $86 K (before tax).

If how much money it generates isn't the question, why not go to the real premier showcase sporting tournament of international teams: the Olympics?

The World Cup sucks. Everyone who watches the World Cup of hockey is already a fan of hockey & the NHL. No non-hockey fans will ever watch it, it's not much of a showcase.

It is not just the gold medal but the overall Olympic experience must definitely be more valuable to majority of NHL players. IOC benefits greatly from having the best players out there. Owners know this and can use it as leverage in negations to get a better deal from IOC and/or NHLPA for next CBA. Owners are in a positions where they have least to lose as they have tangible profits from WHC. Olympics are at best a platform to promote hockey which may or may not yield future results. How do you assess that impact on your bottom line?

WCH & Olympics don't have to be mutually exclusive. One can be used to generate direct revenues while the second to promote the game but I believe concessions will have to be made by IOC and or players.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Sure it is not every year and yes there is risk. How does the profit compare to IIHF World and Olympics? There is risk in those as well.

Not comparable due to revenue going into different goals. With the Worlds, revenue is split among the IIHF (who use the money to host all those other tournaments that don't make profit and grass roots development) and the host federation gettign most of the revenue. For example, Finnish hockey federation made a 10,5 million euro profit (granted the ticket prices were way too high) for co-hosting the 2012 and 2013 Worlds with Sweden. Most of the money was used to hire regional skills coaches around the country.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
It'd more then they get for playing in the WC or Olympics.

I think the longer term question is less about how much money it generates and more about whether it can become the premier showcase tournament of international teams.

How can it become that unless the NHL stops doing Olympics? I mean, the next World Cup has already been reported as being in jeopardy due to lockout reasons. On top of that, the NHL is not bringing the Olympic status down if they go to China/Calgary for an 8 year cycle.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It is not just the gold medal but the overall Olympic experience must definitely be more valuable to majority of NHL players. IOC benefits greatly from having the best players out there. Owners know this and can use it as leverage in negations to get a better deal from IOC and/or NHLPA for next CBA. Owners are in a positions where they have least to lose as they have tangible profits from WHC. Olympics are at best a platform to promote hockey which may or may not yield future results. How do you assess that impact on your bottom line?

WCH & Olympics don't have to be mutually exclusive. One can be used to generate direct revenues while the second to promote the game but I believe concessions will have to be made by IOC and or players.

Won't the NHLPA use the World Cup as leverage too though? I'd imagine the PA tells the owners that if you want to directly make money from us through a World Cup, you allow us to go to the Olympics. The fact the next World Cup would be slated to start mere days after the expiry of the current CBA gives the PA some massive leverage.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Won't the NHLPA use the World Cup as leverage too though? I'd imagine the PA tells the owners that if you want to directly make money from us through a World Cup, you allow us to go to the Olympics. The fact the next World Cup would be slated to start mere days after the expiry of the current CBA gives the PA some massive leverage.

Because the NHLPA & NHL split the World Cup money, so that's not a bunch of leverage since they'd be costing themselves revenue as well. Whereas neither side makes anything from the Olympics and the NHL would argue shutting down for the Olympics can cost them money.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
i believe the correct accounting term is bubkis. Same they would get going to south korea.

They get medal bonuses, at least the Europeans. Finnish players got 27 000 euros each for winning gold in 2011. Russians got 400K each for winning gold the year later.

Last edited:

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Hopefully we can kill off NHLers at the Olympics permanently and then get a true dedicated World Cup every 4 years or so

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
They get medal bonuses, at least the Europeans. Finnish players got 27 000 euros each for winning gold in 2011. Russians got 400K each for winning gold the year later.

in Canada I think you have to be a member of an amateur athletic federation in order to get access to the AEF program, so NHL'ers and other professionals are out of luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad