Value of: Rickard Rakell

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Hey Ducks fans, curious if anything on the Isles roster you would like? In reality, Isles are in cap hell and some $ may have to go back. Always a fan of RR. Wahlstrom +??

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Hey Ducks fans, curious if anything on the Isles roster you would like? In reality, Isles are in cap hell and some $ may have to go back. Always a fan of RR. Wahlstrom +??

I don't know about value, but for cap dumps I don't think the Ducks would want to take back anyone on contract longer than this and maybe next season. Ducks could probably retain on Rakell and trade him at under $2 mil cap hit to increase his value.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Idk islanders cap situation but I assume we could take money back , on the shorter term.... and retain on Rakell to get more value on him but as someone else said I could only see us taking a year or 2 of a bad contract

Hm seems most of em are 4+ lol

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
IMO this discussion is taking place one year too soon. Most likely the Ducks keep Rakell into next season and if they can't (or don't want to) resign him they'll trade him at the 2022 deadline for some type of package likely including a #1 pick in the 22 draft. He should fetch an excellent return if they are of the mind to trade him then.

Reactions: Duck Off

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
IMO this discussion is taking place one year too soon. Most likely the Ducks keep Rakell into next season and if they can't (or don't want to) resign him they'll trade him at the 2022 deadline for some type of package likely including a #1 pick in the 22 draft. He should fetch an excellent return if they are of the mind to trade him then.

They would be better to trade him now. 2 postseasons worth of time is a lot more valuable then one postseason.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I would expect the return to be a mid 1st and decent prospect.

The Ducks should not be taking back salary with him. I would rather retain on Rakell and make him even more valuable then take on a cap dump.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Idk islanders cap situation but I assume we could take money back , on the shorter term.... and retain on Rakell to get more value on him but as someone else said I could only see us taking a year or 2 of a bad contract

Hm seems most of em are 4+ lol

Komarov seems like the perfect fit the Isles to include for a cap dump. Same two year term at close to the same cap number (3M) and actually owed lesser salaries (1.5M & 2M) for the two seasons remaining. Versatile enough to make sense as a depth forward for the rest of his deal, and a high character guy too. Though they would certainly being adding extra value for the benefit of including his contract in the deal in the form of an additional prospect or pick.

Rakell for 1st + Wahlstrom and then the cap dump costs another prospect such as Bode Wilde

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
They would be better to trade him now. 2 postseasons worth of time is a lot more valuable then one postseason.

Maybe. But the return would have to be a high-tier prospect. Late picks in 2021 won't have nearly the value that they'll have for the 2022 draft.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I would expect the return to be a mid 1st and decent prospect.

The Ducks should not be taking back salary with him. I would rather retain on Rakell and make him even more valuable then take on a cap dump.

A mid 1st is a border-line playoff team that could just as easily miss the playoffs. I don't see many of those picks being available. Teams that will be interested in Rakell at the deadline will almost certainly be picking in the 25-32 range. For this draft, that is not a very good return unless the prospect is much better than decent.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Would Anaheim be willing to take a contract back to make money work for a team up against the cap?

For example, something like Rakell ($3.8m) for Donskoi ($3.9m) + Timmins/Helleson/Barron + pick

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
As long as the contract isn't longer or much larger, I don't see why not if it helps bring back the best return.
Donskoi runs 1 year longer than Rakell. But it's virtually the same cap hit. Might actually be good for Anaheim to get an experienced guy back who can essentially replace Rakell in the lineup.

Colorado's forward group would be absolutely sick with Rakell, especially if Newhook gets added for the playoffs as well.

Landeskog --- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Nichuskin ------ Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Rakell --------- Newhook ------ Saad
Calvert -------- Bellemare ----- Compher/Jost

Reactions: Getz2noone

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Donskoi runs 1 year longer than Rakell. But it's virtually the same cap hit. Might actually be good for Anaheim to get an experienced guy back who can essentially replace Rakell in the lineup.

Colorado's forward group would be absolutely sick with Rakell, especially if Newhook gets added for the playoffs as well.

Landeskog --- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Nichuskin ------ Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Rakell --------- Newhook ------ Saad
Calvert -------- Bellemare ----- Compher/Jost

Donskoi for three years at that number is hardly an albatross that I would immediately shoot down. But there's no real purpose for the Ducks to take him on as part of the return either, other than helping facilitate a trade that would therefore have to be otherwise better than any others on the table. Especially if other offers include a lesser/shorter cap dumps or none at all.

If he's a zero value cap dump to help bring back the best return possible then that's probably fine.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Donskoi for three years at that number is hardly an albatross that I would immediately shoot down. But there's no real purpose for the Ducks to take him on as part of the return either, other than helping facilitate a trade that would therefore have to be otherwise better than any others on the table. Especially if other offers include a lesser/shorter cap dumps or none at all.

If he's a zero value cap dump to help bring back the best return possible then that's probably fine.
Donskoi isn't a cap dump. A zero value cap dump is probably fair though in the context that it facilitates getting a better player.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
How about Jake DeBrusk for Rakell?

I'm not sure if the Bruins are willing to part with DeBrusk after just signing him, but Ritchie is playing really well with Krejci, and Trent Frederic is off to a strong start and played really well at 3LW tonight with Coyle and Smith.

DeBrusk has been playing in Pasta's spot as the RW on the Marchand-Bergeron line. When Pasta comes back folks expect DeBrusk to move to Krejci's RW but DeBrusk has not played a lot of RW and there are a lot of fans (myself included) that don't love DeBrusk with Krejci. Krejci is all possession and give and go and DeBrusk is more about big individual efforts and solo rushes. I think Krejci would mesh really well with Rakell.

Reactions: BruinDust

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Donskoi isn't a cap dump. A zero value cap dump is probably fair though in the context that it facilitates getting a better player.

He may or may not be a cap dump, but Donskoi has no value on the ducks team. The ducks have plenty of veteran middle six forwards who can provide experience, leadership, etc - Henrique, Silverberg, Getzlaf, Rowney, and Grant. And we have Backes sitting around not even playing.

Donskoi's value to the ducks is negative. At this point, if Rakell is traded, I'd rather give the spot to one of the younger players. So if the ducks are taking him back, there needs to be a substantial add above Rakell's value IMO.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
How about Jake DeBrusk for Rakell?

I'm not sure if the Bruins are willing to part with DeBrusk after just signing him, but Ritchie is playing really well with Krejci, and Trent Frederic is off to a strong start and played really well at 3LW tonight with Coyle and Smith.

DeBrusk has been playing in Pasta's spot as the RW on the Marchand-Bergeron line. When Pasta comes back folks expect DeBrusk to move to Krejci's RW but DeBrusk has not played a lot of RW and there are a lot of fans (myself included) that don't love DeBrusk with Krejci. Krejci is all possession and give and go and DeBrusk is more about big individual efforts and solo rushes. I think Krejci would mesh really well with Rakell.

Krejci is exactly the type of player Rakell would thrive with. Murray loves guys with intensity and little bit of skill, so I imagine he would definitely be interested in DeBrusk. I could see this deal happening since there is trade history now between the two teams.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Would Anaheim be willing to take a contract back to make money work for a team up against the cap?

For example, something like Rakell ($3.8m) for Donskoi ($3.9m) + Timmins/Helleson/Barron + pick

I personally would not want to take on any contract longer then 2 years in this economic climate.

I think the Ducks would be better off retaining on Rakell if that’s what it took to make it work.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I feel like if Anaheim starts dealing it’s mostly for futures
They are not a contender this season. Plus they also need to figure out their D Core. Manson, Fowler, Lindholm are their veteran Dmen who should be protected. This season will determine if any of Larsson, Guhle, Mahura, should be protected, and thus they move one of their veterans at the TDL. Up front, Rackell and Silfverberg are a couple of veteran forwards who could be moved as they transition to a younger group. Combination of seeing how this season goes for the team and the player, along with the development of any younger players who would be eligible for the ED and thus need to be protected.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
They are not a contender this season. Plus they also need to figure out their D Core. Manson, Fowler, Lindholm are their veteran Dmen who should be protected. This season will determine if any of Larsson, Guhle, Mahura, should be protected, and thus they move one of their veterans at the TDL. Up front, Rackell and Silfverberg are a couple of veteran forwards who could be moved as they transition to a younger group. Combination of seeing how this season goes for the team and the player, along with the development of any younger players who would be eligible for the ED and thus need to be protected.

If I was GM there is no way I am keeping Manson over Shattenkirk.

Manaon’s age and contract situation makes him a prime candidate to be traded before the trade deadline this year.

Especially with how well Hakanpaa has played with Cam since Manson got hurt.

Reactions: duckpuck

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
2021 1st unprotected + Brook/Fleury + Byron (to work cap) for Rakell?

For me it is too early to see the Habs as a contender. Also, where do you put Rakell ? As mentioned by a ANA fan, his strength is his offense, so not on the fourth line, 3rd line and you put Armia on the fourth ? Drouin seems to be in a good place next to Suzuki and the line has been clicking. MTL first line is one of the best defensive line in the NHL. Byron is overpaid by 1.5m but he is an efficient PK guy. Last year, the Habs were really hurting when he was not part of the team due to injury.

In terms of value I think this is quite spot, even though some ANA fans mentioned they would prefer a forward prospect, not sure how they would feel about Poehling, Ylonen or Ikonen (was a really highly rated prospect but has suffered a LT injury two years ago)

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
For me it is too early to see the Habs as a contender. Also, where do you put Rakell ? As mentioned by a ANA fan, his strength is his offense, so not on the fourth line, 3rd line and you put Armia on the fourth ? Drouin seems to be in a good place next to Suzuki and the line has been clicking. MTL first line is one of the best defensive line in the NHL. Byron is overpaid by 1.5m but he is an efficient PK guy. Last year, the Habs were really hurting when he was not part of the team due to injury.

In terms of value I think this is quite spot, even though some ANA fans mentioned they would prefer a forward prospect, not sure how they would feel about Poehling, Ylonen or Ikonen (was a really highly rated prospect but has suffered a LT injury two years ago)
Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Rakell - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia/Perry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad